motivation for property so low right now :(

Evening all,

Just on here to ramble on about my motivation for property currently being at an all time low.

My basic story
3x properties, val 1m, lvr 89%, yield around 6.1% gross overall.

had a relationship break up recently, relationship went for about 3yrs. Don't feel to bad emotionally, but my actual motivation to improve my finances has taken a steep decline tho. During the course of the relationship i was like a pit bull for improving financially.

Ppl @ work, family etc are always like "so you got another place yet" my response has been "nar just been really lazy, ill do something soon tho."

So yeah basically asking for some help to get me out of this rut.

Feel free to send PM or reply here.

Regards,

RH

YEP not unsual to loose motivation, its hard to be bullish about life every day, give it some time, and you will soon be back to your bullish self, talk to a mate thats upbeat, it usually helps me , chin up, :)

Hey mate, we have to catch up some time soon hey. I've keen to talk property to someone who understands whats happening, the missus is getting sick of my ranting.

For your motivation, just have to look back at what you have done already, be proud of what you have achieved and just tell yourself to push forward! Taking a step back and relaxing for a little isn't a bad thing either!

I don't like the chances of getting another IP this year, but I'm still aiming for one and still have some high hopes!

Had a similar "episode" myself recently, but without the relationship bummer.

You might also get some suggestions here.

Without wanting to sound corny, or too new age, an increase in motivation can only come from within. External stimuli can impact our motivation, but any change must be instigated by yourself.

Look at your balance sheet. Compare it to the average guy who sits/stands next to you at work (assuming you have a guy) and that might help you realise how far along you are - how much above average!

Hope I've helped and not hindered the, dare I say it, mental healing process.

Focus on enjoying your life for a while. Enjoy being single. If your not motivated there may be a reason behind that and there is no reason to force yourself to keep purchasing. Being retired/ financially free isn't the most important thing in life, being healthy and happy is. I was recently reading a story about a friend of a relative who is in the top 50 of wealthiest people in Aus. He is still working at 78, so he must love what he does. I think the secret is to enjoy what you do.

Evening all,

Just on here to ramble on about my motivation for property currently being at an all time low.

My basic story

had a relationship break up recently, relationship went for about 3yrs. Don't feel to bad emotionally, but my actual motivation to improve my finances has taken a steep decline tho. During the course of the relationship i was like a pit bull for improving financially.

Ppl @ work, family etc are always like "so you got another place yet" my response has been "nar just been really lazy, ill do something soon tho."

So yeah basically asking for some help to get me out of this rut.

Feel free to send PM or reply here.

Regards,

RH

This is not a competition; it's part of your life journey.

Now is not the right time to be doing it, so step back and follow other priorities.

It's easy to feel guilty if you've been going gung-ho, and suddenly you stop dead in the water. Been there and done it.

When you are feeling a bit better, the desire will return.

I'm an investor that believes in having both shares and property as investments (at the moment my property investments are worth much more than share investments).

It's not neccesarily a bad thing to not be motivated in getting more properties financially, if you are looking to invest in other types of assets (IE. shares).

My plan is to have one IP fully paid in my own name, have a PPOR and invest the rest in a SMSF, which will mainly be made up of shares. At the moment I have an IP with about $200,000 left to pay off.

I like property however I don't want too many properties as the tax advantages in super at the moment are just too great. I don't want to be paying tax once I retire so I want most of my assets in super by the time I retire. I also like the liquidity of shares, however it's easier to borrow for property.

Evening all,

My basic story

RH

I think you are probably underestimated the emotional impact of the breakup. Lack of motivation is a common sign of depression. Maybe you aren't teary and miserable, but it is obviously still having an impact. Previously, your relationship was a motivation for investing, so clearly now ...
Like others have said, I would take a break, have a holiday or do some fun things. Don't make any major selling or buying decisions until you are in a better space emotionally.
Pen

I think you are probably underestimated the emotional impact of the breakup. Lack of motivation is a common sign of depression. Maybe you aren't teary and miserable, but it is obviously still having an impact. Previously, your relationship was a motivation for investing, so clearly now ...
Like others have said, I would take a break, have a holiday or do some fun things. Don't make any major selling or buying decisions until you are in a better space emotionally.
Pen

RH
I agree with Penny and yourself, you know you are not in your usual mood, don't beat yourself up, relax, aim to catch up with friends & family and try new experiences, kick back and relax.

Good Luck
Sheryn

This is not a competition; it's part of your life journey.

Now is not the right time to be doing it, so step back and follow other priorities.

It's easy to feel guilty if you've been going gung-ho, and suddenly you stop dead in the water. Been there and done it.

When you are feeling a bit better, the desire will return.

So true BV,

RH, We all have these times, I liken it to running on a treadmill and just getting no further ahead. Sometimes you need to get out on the open road and smeall the fresh air. Enjoy yourself .:)

Catching up for chat with AndrewT might be the best thing for you.:)

Regards JO

Good ideas so far.

If you want to add to your portfolio but aren't motivated to go through the process - could always engage a BA to do the leg work for you.

So true BV,

RH, We all have these times, I liken it to running on a treadmill and just getting no further ahead.

Ahhhhhhh but u are, we just dont notice it.

Any fitness training to get to the next level involves some cardio work, that even applies to financial stuff. looks like u are getting nowhere fast, but we do progress

ta
rolf

Just an update.
I actually took Bene313's advice, using a BA now to do something for me.

this property business can get u worked up...

trying to focus abit more on happiness at the moment lol. Dating someone new as well so yeah thats going good as well.

Regards,

RH

The property game is a long term one...and a boring one if you want to make money.

One of things you need to work on the property journey is to work on your mindset. This includes the ability to work on the ups and downs in life. Having a practical wealth acculumation plan helps.:D

Remember that wealth moves from the impatient to patient!;)

Just an update.
I actually took Bene313's advice, using a BA now to do something for me.

this property business can get u worked up...

trying to focus abit more on happiness at the moment lol. Dating someone new as well so yeah thats going good as well.

Regards,

RH

Back