Motorbikes

Hi All,

You either love them or hate them I guess :rolleyes:

I am thinking about geting a road bike just for transport to work. Will still keep my 4wd for farm use and so on.

Has anybody done this? I know bikes can be very dangerous. I'm a very careful and slow driver and would be the same on a bike. Its the other guy you have to watch out for :eek:

GG

Hubby rides his bike to work (on fine days only):D

It saves him a little time in traffic. He takes his car most days though. He rides his bike for trips etc not just riding to work.

You need to be very aware of your surroundings i.e other drivers.

I wouldn't recommend riding slowly, you may get ruin over. Stay with the flow of traffic.
Get something big enough to allow you to get out of the way of not so bike conscious drivers.
Check out the price plus ongoing insurance costs to see if it's financially viable for you.

Did it for a decade in Brisbane peak traffic. As long as you obey the three metre rule you'll be fine.

I.e. You have a three metre "bubble" around you and you take evasive action (brake/accelerate/change lanes etc.) should anything invade your bubble.

You can out maneouver, outbrake and outaccelerate anything on the road...remember that and you stay safe!

My best tip though is to get a bike that suits the purpose, a high powered rice rocket is a lousy commuter, as is a Harley or heavy cruiser. A good cheap commuter bike is something like a Suzuki drz 400 motard. Light, east to ride and easy to park. For longer distances something like a mid range BMW f800 or an older BMW k75 are a good solid ride.

Good luck with it!! It is a great way to operate as long as you do it well and remember regardless of whether you hit someone or they hit you - it's your fault!!! And you suffer!!!

Cheers
UC

I would never just ride a bike as economical transport. I own one I ride for fun and ignore most of the time.

Even for experienced drivers the handling and braking take some time to get used to when first getting onto two wheels.

I would never just ride a bike as economical transport. I own one I ride for fun and ignore most of the time.

Even for experienced drivers the handling and braking take some time to get used to when first getting onto two wheels.

It would also be a great relaxer on a Sunday afternoon.

GG

I got rid of my road bike when I had kids.
I'd only ever buy a track bike or enduro bike again.

I'd would agree with urban cowboy, sports bikes are very uncomfortable in the traffic, buy yourself a bike to match your riding.

Hi All,

You either love them or hate them I guess :rolleyes:

I am thinking about geting a road bike just for transport to work. Will still keep my 4wd for farm use and so on.

Has anybody done this? I know bikes can be very dangerous. I'm a very careful and slow driver and would be the same on a bike. Its the other guy you have to watch out for :eek:

GG

It's not bikes that are dangerous, it's the way people ride them. You need a much higher level of skill & awareness that for driving a car. Being careful & slow is a good start, but you need to increase your level of awareness of what inattentive drivers might do.

It depends on your commute and how 'safe' do you feel it is. Generally, the heavier the traffic, the worst the level of danger from impatient or inattentive drivers.

Give it a try & see how you like it. It's a subjective decision.

Cheers,

Bikes are the ducks guts. I had a case of an angry 4x4 driver who thought I was someone else so when I slowed to go thru a township he just ran over me. Most people shouldn't own bikes most can't ride. Last thing I would want to do is ride as a form of transport. Just weekend fun.

Attachments

• r10.jpg
    r10.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 65
  • r1.3.jpg
    r1.3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 66
Bikes are the ducks guts. I had a case of an angry 4x4 driver who thought I was someone else so when I slowed to go thru a township he just ran over me. Most people shouldn't own bikes most can't ride. Last thing I would want to do is ride as a form of transport. Just weekend fun.

That looks scary! How crazy?

I wouldn't expect to be common though.

What happened to the 4WD driver? Insurance covered? Lost license?

What did the police had to say?

Bikes are the ducks guts.

Is that good or bad :confused:

I'm a cyclist on the road..........which is more dangerous, the bicycle or the motorbike? or is it the persons attitude who is riding them?

I have been cycling for 15 years, yes, i have a couple of close calls. I am a sensable cyclist........like i would be sensable on a motorbike. I wouldn't be the type to "fly" between stationary traffic at 80km/h.........

GG

I cycle too.

On a main road, I'd rather be on a motorbike. I don't have to worry as much about a car driver hitting me from behind.

Cycling is lower speed. It's pretty safe as long as cars don't hit you.

Careful motorbike riding is similar. It's OK as long you can keep a safe distance from cars.

Cheers,

Riding a bike is very very dangerous. I'd be especially fearful of traffic at peak hour. You need great reflexes and if you're new to it, learning in traffic is not a good idea.

GG hasn't told us how much experience he has had before so I'll assume "a little" but has done what most of us have done and limit himself to four wheels for many years. That sums up my experience.

On four wheels, if something blocks the road, you simply jump on the stoppers and trust the engineers have set up the balance between the front and rear axles. If your car is less than 10 years old it will even have dynamic adjustment for each wheel.

Top end BMWs may have antilock braking but for us low-end riders we must do it ourselves. The difficulty is that on a bike the foot brake works the rear wheel which is useless for stopping the bike. If you want to stop quickly you must use the front (right hand) brake almost exclusively. But you must "apply" the braking force so your front forks can settle. If you simply "grab" the brake with a soft front you might end up in the gravel, as I did.

But if you are no longer required as a breeding stud, Go for it and have fun. :D

bikes are great, its one of the very few things i miss since i sold mine and moved from sydney.

Riding a bike is very very dangerous. I'd be especially fearful of traffic at peak hour. You need great reflexes and if you're new to it, learning in traffic is not a good idea.

I commuted across sydney (inner west to north shore and back) every day, across both the Anzac and Harbour bridge rain hail or shine. Peak hour is actually really safe, cause everyones going so slow :)

I used to bicycle as well now and then, and I feel much safer on a bike. You wear a lot more safety gear when you're on a motorbike, and you're more noticable than on a pushy.

The other thing, if you've been driving a car, all of your traffic sense stays with you. I had been driving a car for over 10 years before I got my bike, and you know how sometimes you just "know" someones going to cut in front of you, or change lane, or that you should just give some extra space for whatever reason? It doesn't go away when you get on a bike.

Once you get over the freakiness of it, its just like being in traffic. Just be aware of whats going on, give everyone space, dont go too fast :)

A nice relaxing ride through a national park on a sunny weekend afternoon is something you can really get used to.

Both myself and my DH ride road bikes (most of my family do). I only have my bike liscence (don't have a car one). I haven't ridden in a long time, but that is only because there is nowhere to strap the babies on the back. ;)

Bikes are in and of themselves safe. If you have an accident - NOT involving another vehicle - 9 out of 10 times you will get up and walk way uninjured (although not neccessarly true for the bike). But if you are involved with another vechicle (and statistically speaking it is more likely to be the other driver in the wrong, not that that is much consolation) the odds are not in the riders favour.

There are two main threats to a rider,
1) idiocy. I have seen many stupid (usually young male) riders (like my brother), who are good at riding have accidents because they think they are infallible. Simple solution, keep your ego under leash.
2) other vehicles on the road. They don't notice bikes, or don't allow them enough room, or do other stupid things that get the bike rider hurt. solution, learn to ride defensively and treat all other vehicles and drivers out there as idiots who need to be watched carefully - expect them to do the wrong thing, they often will.

DH rides to work everyday. I used to ride everywhere all the time. I couldn't recommend riding enough, it is a joy, easier, quicker and cheaper. Just need to be sensible is all.

I'm a cyclist on the road..........which is more dangerous, the bicycle or the motorbike? or is it the persons attitude who is riding them?

I have been cycling for 15 years, yes, i have a couple of close calls. I am a sensable cyclist........like i would be sensable on a motorbike. I wouldn't be the type to "fly" between stationary traffic at 80km/h.........

GG

GC... X-Hubby and now our son are both motor cyclists... Xhubby taught son..."Every car is out to kill YOU". Over dramatic?? maybe but good advice.

I tend to drive my cars the same way (too many people are idiots) BASIC rule is...if you cannot see the driver's eyes of the vehicle in front of you..they cannot see you.

BEFORE you buy a bike...WATCH i mean REALLY watch motorbikes on the road...what do they do wrong? How would you do it differently? LEARN....learn to survive.

Good Luck....and have good accident/trauma insurance. :)

edited to say...The ONE thing I miss about XHubby is the bike!! (sigh) oh for a good blat on a ducati!! :D

Back