Mount Druitt, NSW

I use a few different agents.

Professionals are good, so is realestate one terry harris, so is laing and simmons basel, and so is elliott shiner first national angela.

Most mine are through first national. Just need to keep on top of rentals in area.

Hi guys

We just got a 3 bedder house in north St marys near the school ($250k renting at $310 on 900 sqm) , i really like the area - the main st mary strip is quite nice and the people seem like normal hard working australians. Very close to Penrith and only 45 mins to cbd when not rush hour.

Weve been using Robert Henry - who were....ok, although it did take a long time for the place to get rented out after purchase (2 months) - they said they got applications but lots failed the 'good tenant' test. Then when they did find a decent tennant, the agents only made a verbal agreement and didnt sign anything - so, suprise suprise, the prospective tennants pulled out near move in day and left us in the lurch.
In any case, im not totaly impressed with the agents and may look into some of the agents you mentioned if you dont mind - thanks for the tip.

Werrington

Skater, Nathan, everyone,

Is Werrington a decent area for investment? I'm seriously looking around the area and any comment will be beneficial.
I have viewed a property in Werrington, a 3 bedroom villa. The asking price was over $250k and it was eventually sold for $304k. The rent is approx $350 pw.

Catherine

WOW, too expensive. I remember buying townhouses in werrington in 2 kazanis place next to station 18 months ago at $142k and $147k from memory.

Ouch! That is a lot of money. Was it gold plated?

Just recently a couple sold near the station for around $215-235k.

Werrington is quite popular. It is close to the Station and the Uni. Should have no vacancy problems.

, i really like the area - the main st mary strip is quite nice and the people seem like normal hard working australians. Very close to Penrith and only 45 mins to cbd when not rush hour.

LOL! Did you notice all the Adult Shops, Brothels, Tattoo Parlours and the Meth Clinic near the Station? There are a lot of normal hardworking people, but there is a lot of "interesting" people too.

From my experience Mt Druiit and surrounding suburbs (Blackett, Whalan, Tregear etc) is a low socio economic, low income area with a fair amount of housing commission housing and social problems, high unemployment etc.

All this, of course, is compared to Sydney as a whole. Ive never held property out there, but I've been told not a bad area to invest in. make sure you have a good PM, hopefully with a Uzi! (joking)

From my experience Mt Druiit and surrounding suburbs (Blackett, Whalan, Tregear etc) is a low socio economic, low income area with a fair amount of housing commission housing and social problems, high unemployment etc.

All this, of course, is compared to Sydney as a whole. Ive never held property out there, but I've been told not a bad area to invest in. make sure you have a good PM, hopefully with a Uzi! (joking)

LOL, I live in Bidwill, a suburb of Mt Druitt, have been here too many years to remember. Let me say this: I bought my home for 100k, 14 years ago, today it's worth 300k on the market maybe a little more. I own my home, I don't have any investment properties, I'm qualified with two Trades (Toolmaker, and Electrician) make over 90k a year as a sparkie, have two Chevrolets parked in the garage, so yes low socio economic, low income about covers that. I work all over Sydney installing Lifts and Railcars to some very exclusive homes as far as the Northern beaches, and south to Carringbah. So I see how the other half live every day of the week. I talk to the owners of these homes a lot, particulary about their homes, and they have all asked where I live, and they have all said they cannot believe I would live in such a vile place.
Funny thing is, I happen to like it here.
I would rather have the not so busy roads - compared with North Sydney, Mosman, Cremorne, or Point Piper/Bellevue Hill area. I like having wide open shopping centers with good easy parking, I like having low Council rates, I like having a train and bus service that operates within easy access to.
I like having parks and sporting venues near-by for my kids.
What people don't realise - is Mt Druitt and surrounding areas are made up of people from "ALL" walks of life. Most who have bought in the area have been here a long time, It's an area that is affordable, where people are not likely to find it too differcult to repay a mortgage. Most people out here would say they enjoy the quiet, as oppossed to their daily commute into the city for their work. They have homes on an average size block of 700sq's, the eaves are a full metre away from any boundary fence. Try finding a house in Kellyville or any new Estate with homes like that. The stigma that has stuck with Mt Druitt will never go away, it's been like this for 35 yrs. Things do change, people grow up and move away, they die, they also happily grow old and stay in the area. Life is made up of all sorts of people from all walks and countries. It's a pity not all people would be willing to open their eyes to that.
Lifes good in the Ghetto.

Railglider, so nice to have someone else from around this area. I do disagree with you on one point though. You said "The stigma that has stuck with Mt Druitt will never go away, it's been like this for 35 yrs". I believe that slowly this, like many things will change. It won't change in a hurry, it will take time, but slowly as more homes are sold to owners there will be a bit of a change.

I lived in Lethbridge Park for seven years. For the most part, our neighbours were all realatively nice and it was a quiet street. We moved there because it was affordable. We have now upgraded to St Clair, but have several properties in the Mt Druitt area.

Railglider, so nice to have someone else from around this area. I do disagree with you on one point though. You said "The stigma that has stuck with Mt Druitt will never go away, it's been like this for 35 yrs". I believe that slowly this, like many things will change. It won't change in a hurry, it will take time, but slowly as more homes are sold to owners there will be a bit of a change.

Hi skater,
On the subject of the Stigma attached to Mt Druitt.
I sure hope your right, I and many thousands of home owners in the area hopes that it will eventually go away.
You have me wondering also why you would think that St Clair is a step up the ladder (so to speak) Crime rates in that area would not be any less than the Druitt region, still have young kids walking the streets at night and congregating at the shopping centre, (so the local newspaper will tell us)
St Clair at the time of development was low budget affordable housing. Even though the homes are a little more modern - it was still built on land fill. Interestingly enough - I've worked on many, many, homes over the Gt Western Hwy, and I've seen the results of poor slap-em up brickwork on far too many of them. My uncle is a builder living in Colyton, I was his Sparkie for some 15 years on the early development of St Clair, Erskine Pk, Claremont Meadows, and we have seen and worked on literally hundreds of these low budget homes in these housing estates, I won't name the project home builders on this forum, but if we took too much time to adding to detail, to try and do the right thing - we were often not the first call on the next home we built. Postcodes do not give people better homes or attitudes.

Hi skater,
You have me wondering also why you would think that St Clair is a step up the ladder (so to speak) Crime rates in that area would not be any less than the Druitt region, still have young kids walking the streets at night and congregating at the shopping centre, (so the local newspaper will tell us)
St Clair at the time of development was low budget affordable housing. Even though the homes are a little more modern - it was still built on land fill. Interestingly enough - I've worked on many, many, homes over the Gt Western Hwy, and I've seen the results of poor slap-em up brickwork on far too many of them. My uncle is a builder living in Colyton, I was his Sparkie for some 15 years on the early development of St Clair, Erskine Pk, Claremont Meadows, and we have seen and worked on literally hundreds of these low budget homes in these housing estates, I won't name the project home builders on this forum, but if we took too much time to adding to detail, to try and do the right thing - we were often not the first call on the next home we built. Postcodes do not give people better homes or attitudes.

We bought the worst house in an extemely quiet street for a very good price. All the homes in our street are very appealing to the eye and are all brick. Because it was the worst home, it had potential for improvement, which of course improves the asset value.

It is a step up because we moved from a cramped cladded ex housie 3 bed/1 bath to a large brick 4 bed/2 bath with two living areas and pool. Both homes had ducted air-con. In the old street, although most of the neighbours were nice there were pockets of "interesting" people at both ends of the street. Some of the homes were kept in a very rough and ready state, while others took pride in their homes.

Our new home is also closer to the M4, which is valuable to us, cutting travelling time.

There are kids around the shopping centre, it's true, however that will happen when you build the high school next door to the shopping centre. At night and on weekends there are not many kids to be seen in this area. The quality of the shoppers in the shopping centre is quite high as compared to my previous local shopping centre, which was Emerton. Living in the area, you will notice that many of the shoppers that go to Emerton are of the one nationality (the one that has a large specialty grocery store for their tastes), many of whom go shopping with bare feet. I have heard many parents in Emerton yelling abuse at their kids. I don't see this in St Clair.

As for the quality of the homes, yes, I have noticed a drainage problem. Not only with my own home, but when walking, have noticed that many residents have dug up and fixed the drainage. This is something we are slowly working on.

I have worked in both emerton shopping centre and st clair and there is a big difference in the 2 and the people in those areas. The people in st clair seem to have more money than the ones around emerton and seem to be less reliant on welfare. I find emerton shopping centre extremely depressing in terms of the type of people you see around and the general appearance of the shopping centre itself.

There are kids around the shopping centre, it's true, however that will happen when you build the high school next door to the shopping centre. At night and on weekends there are not many kids to be seen in this area. The quality of the shoppers in the shopping centre is quite high as compared to my previous local shopping centre, which was Emerton. Living in the area, you will notice that many of the shoppers that go to Emerton are of the one nationality (the one that has a large specialty grocery store for their tastes), many of whom go shopping with bare feet. I have heard many parents in Emerton yelling abuse at their kids. I don't see this in St Clair.

Your so right about Emerton shopping centre, I only go there for one reason only.
Not good for my health, and really should give them up, but Emerton has the Cheapest Cigarette shop in the whole of Sydney. (I'll bet $100.00 on that)

Look - I'm not about putting people down who live in low cost housing - Hell I live in Bidwill, and I don't blame people who want to move away from the Druitt area. It's that old Stigma thing I was on about earlier. It will take a long time before that changes. Maybe by then I'll have saved enough money to buy 5 acres up the coast and moved on myself.
What I'm trying to get at, is you have good and bad people in any area.
I'm currently working on installing a Railglider in a brand new home getting built at Avalon (Northern Beaches) a 40 Million dollar home. There are tradesmans utes parked in every available spot in the street, and it's very narrow. The house 6 doors down obviously does not like vehicles parked outside on the curb of their home. So what do they do - they park a 25 foot long caravan outside their home on the curb. Are these good neighbours to have? I think not.
I do not think this would happen in Mt Druitt if construction was taking place in some little street here.
Rest assured skater, I am just an average educated, and very experienced Electrician who is quite happy to call Mt Druitt my home, I married the girl next door, and my inlaws are my next door neighbours, (won't comment on if thats a good thing or not. LOL)
It sure does urk me though when people snub the good people of Mt Druitt because of it's low socio economic, and migrant population. I still maintain postcodes do not make a better class of people.

What I'm trying to get at, is you have good and bad people in any area. It sure does urk me though when people snub the good people of Mt Druitt because of it's low socio economic, and migrant population. I still maintain postcodes do not make a better class of people.

That's fine Railglider. If you weren't such a newbie on this site, you would know that I am constantly saying the same thing. I have met some wonderful people around this area, the same as I have met some that are not so nice in more salubrious areas.

It's good to see another local here.

That's fine Railglider. If you weren't such a newbie on this site, you would know that I am constantly saying the same thing. I have met some wonderful people around this area, the same as I have met some that are not so nice in more salubrious areas.

It's good to see another local here.

That's cool skater,
Incidently to the OP, my neighbour is selling his Torrens title 3 br Duplex. I know the home is well built, my Uncle built it and I wired it.
He's asking $280,000 for it.
It is in immaculate condition, single garage, split system air, 2 toilets, modern kitchen design, good size rear yard. An ideal investment property. Built in 1998 from memory. I still have the plans here.

still have young kids walking the streets at night and congregating at the shopping centre, (so the local newspaper will tell us)

I reckon that happens in any suburb. After moving to Sydney from New Zealand 25 years ago I lived at Artarmon on the lower North Shore for a while and now live in the Sutherland Shire (Miranda) ..Let me tell you kids hanging at shops / stations at Cronulla and Chatswood would be just as bad if not worse than those in the outer west.

I reckon that happens in any suburb. After moving to Sydney from New Zealand 25 years ago I lived at Artarmon on the lower North Shore for a while and now live in the Sutherland Shire (Miranda) ..Let me tell you kids hanging at shops / stations at Cronulla and Chatswood would be just as bad if not worse than those in the outer west.

Ever heard the Term Feral Westies?
Well - they take that to new heights out here.;)

Hi all

What is the consensus as far as PM's go in the Mt Druitt area? In the throws of purchasing a IP there and would appreciate any good experiences folks have found in their PM.

Thanks

Storm, have you even read this whole thread? We have already discussed PMs here, so I suggest you read the thread before asking questions.

Back