Move in or allow tenant to stay?

I think the last paragraph of this post is your answer :)

Cook good food, take the dogs for a walk, value the opportunity to have a rest after work. Perhaps create a special time of the day when you actually play with the dogs as well as walking them. Maybe a ball in the back yard or some other fun thing, you need to laugh and play with your dogs to get your mojo back.

Do this until you feel impatient to get on with the reno, then you are mentally ready :)

For the past month, we have done nothing. NOTHING...and I love it.
We get up when we wake up.
Have breakfast, lunch and then supper.
In between we fill the hours playing on our netbooks, watching mindless fluff on tv, because it is entertaining. Playing a game of scrabble.
Looking for eggs, picking food from the garden, and preparing meals from scratch.

We have another month of this, and then it will be 4 -5 months of non-stop work, on our properties, in Canada.
While doing that, it is great...I love it.
When that is over, we will be exhausted, and look forward to the relaxation of returning to Australia.

Whatever you decide to do...do it because you want to :)

Do this until you feel impatient to get on with the reno, then you are mentally ready :)

OK.
Well, good thing is that I'm now revved up to do renovations. Can't wait.
Take home message from everyone's posts is that I need to do more vegging and playing. Sounds good.
To me, that means less work.
Less work means more time for renos - more time with the cats and dogs - more time sleeping in, listening to the radio, eating good food.
I have to decide now - I think it affects the loan too.
It's either work a lot and stay where I am
or move, work less and reno.
Thanks everyone.

Here are four questions I try to use when ever a major decision must be made:

1. DO I WANT TO be, do or have this?

2. Will being, doing or having this MOVE ME IN THE DIRECTION OF MY GOAL?

3. Is being, doing or having this IN HARMONY WITH GODS LAWS OR THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE?

4. Will being, doing or having this VIOLATE THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS?

If the answer to the first three questions is YES, and the answer to the last question is NO, make the decision and get moving.

I hope this helps.

Here are four questions I try to use when ever a major decision must be made:

1. DO I WANT TO be, do or have this?

2. Will being, doing or having this MOVE ME IN THE DIRECTION OF MY GOAL?

3. Is being, doing or having this IN HARMONY WITH GODS LAWS OR THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE?

4. Will being, doing or having this VIOLATE THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS?

If the answer to the first three questions is YES, and the answer to the last question is NO, make the decision and get moving.

I hope this helps.

or just flip a coin.

I also think about my overall wellbeing.
It is often very easy to think of things that we should be doing in our (increasingly) busy lives and everyone on this forum is here because they want to improve their situation and speaking to so many motivated people can make you feel motivated or can make you feel guilty that you aren't doing 'enough'.

However, it is important to be in tune with yourself and notice if you are feeling sick/tired/burnt out. If that is the case you need to schedule in time to recover and rest. Without it you will never be as motivated and productive as you can be and you will always end up with this vague feeling of not doing 'enough'. Because when you are resting you are thinking about working and when you are working you are thinking about resting.

When looking at the financial alternatives, don't forget that there is also a financial cost in moving, to say nothing of the upheaval. It can be a stressful time.

If you've got a happy tenant, keep them in the place. If you move in, renovate, and move out, you may have a vacancy.

;) Great feedback everyone.
simtr- yes, like the coin thing. Someone posted something a few days ago and it rang true. Toss the coin because just before it falls, you'll know what option you really want.
I told the solicitor I wanted vacant possession and then just as he was on the phone about to talk to the other solicitor, I realised I didn't want to move in yet.
Thanks all. Have decided to leave tenants in situ and move in if and when something major changes such as tenant moves, work is drastically reduced due to loss of a contract or two, etc. In the meantime, I'll do as many repairs and improvements as I can with tradies.
At the same time, I'm going to cut back on some of the work. Have been doing one and a half demanding jobs since the beginning of the year and I'm about to come undone.
I've worked so hard for the last few years. Being a workaholic it's hard to cut back but for now it's time to take time out for swimming, good food, decluttering, vanity, sewing, vegging :) etc.

Back