movie download sites

Can anyone help me with the best sites to download movies from. I found a great site in the US 99c trial which includes 10 movie downloads. Then cost is about 40 euro per month. Site seems great with movies which are currently screening at cinemas available for download. Found another great site but cannot download outside US. Bigpond seems far inferior to these.

Anyone care to share where they download from? If you don't want it splashed around, feel free to sent me a pm.

Many thanks
Sunshine

Cheaper to go to the local video shop to rent and purchase at Big W than itunes. Though i am researching how to be able to purchase from itunes USA, as they are cheaper and have a wider variety.

Sunshine

Okay, nobody download any copyrighted stuff for free.

Only use those two (legal) sites I posted to download legal stuff.

-Ian

we recently got busted downloading torrents. written warning only.
Problem was on the written warning they told us all these wonderful
sites where we could legally down load movies from and not one
of them would accept anyone from any country except the USA.

These is why we download ilegially because we cannot buy from anywhere.

we recently got busted downloading torrents. written warning only.

I'd be interested to know more (because the laws surrounding copyright mostly disgust me). Was it downloading .torrent files that got you in trouble (totally legal), or was it downloading the data the torrents pointed to? Did you get busted by the AFP or just your ISP?

What did you get caught for?

We download tv shows mostly - a bit of a habit we got into from living somewhere with no TV for so long. Most of the stuff we were downloading was on free to air TV during our TV-less spell - we don't do it much anymore as we are mostly caught up. Quite a bit of the stuff we were getting was legal downloads.

Now, some of the in-laws seem to download stuff constantly ... literally constantly. They used to give us DVDs of new-release movies we weren't much interested in and didn't watch. Wonder where they get *their* stuff from ...

Now some other in-laws are recording stuff off TV in Adelaide and try and give it to us and wonder why we don't want it. Uh, we have TV now. All the same channels as you except 7. We can record it off the TV ourselves if we want to ...

Was it downloading .torrent files that got you in trouble (totally legal), or was it downloading the data the torrents pointed to? Did you get busted by the AFP or just your ISP?

The legal issue is not related to the file format or transfer mechanism. MP3, DIVX and ISO are all perfectly legal formats and torrents are a perfectly legal transfer mechanism. The issue arises when you download or redistribute content you are not legally entitled to. It's legally the digital equivalent of buying pirated DVDs or in the case of torrents, redistributing them and you can have the book thrown at you for this.

Usually it's the RIAA that issues notices and being a US organisation they're likely to refer to legal sources of the content in the US. As far as they're concerned, downloading MP3s of U2 via BitTorrent is the equivalent of walking into K-mart and slipping a CD into your pocket; how many of you downloading illegal torrents would consider doing this?

It's interesting to see this discussed on a forum orientated towards wealth creation. Downloading illegal torrents poses a real possibility of wealth destruction. There are enough legal avenues available to obtain the content at very low prices, why take the risk?

As an aside, sites like legaltorrents.com are available for legally downloading Creative Commons, open licensed material if anyone is interested.

The legal issue is not related to the file format or transfer mechanism. MP3, DIVX and ISO are all perfectly legal formats and torrents are a perfectly legal transfer mechanism. The issue arises when you download or redistribute content you are not legally entitled to. It's legally the digital equivalent of buying pirated DVDs or in the case of torrents, redistributing them and you can have the book thrown at you for this.

No actually it's not. Torrent files are maps. They point to things like mp3's, divx, and iso files. Downloading a map to copyrighted data is not the same as downloading copyrighted data, which is why I asked Monty if he got busted for .torrent files (the maps to the data), or the data itself.

They point to things like mp3's, divx, and iso files. Downloading a map to copyrighted data is not the same as downloading copyrighted data, which is why I asked Monty if he got busted for .torrent files (the maps to the data), or the data itself.

I think it’s probably a bit of a semantic argument. Obviously the intent of obtaining a torrent file is to acquire the content it addresses. Assumedly in Monty’s case the content was illegally accessed.

archive.org

if you want to downlaod thousands of movies and tv shows and still be able to sleep well at night, then go to archive.org.

it houses public domain material and also content that has gone out of copyright. Heaps and heaps of movies here from the old 1950s sci fi classics, to heaps of drama, john wayne, 1940s detective movies, a variety of old time tv shows such as Beverly Hillbillies, Twilight Zone, I love Lucy etc.

Plus, and as an extra bonus, just about every Grateful Dead concert too.

It is all public domain or placed under creative commons coyright.

So go for it.

archive.org

g

I think it’s probably a bit of a semantic argument.

Maybe, but fundamental in determining whether any law was broken.

Obviously the intent of obtaining a torrent file is to acquire the content it addresses.

I'm not a lawyer, but is it illegal to intend to commit a crime here? That would mean it's possible to have illegal thoughts, which I didn't realise was the case in Australia.

Is it illegal to think about stealing a CD from K-Mart? Or obtaining a map showing the layout of the store with a big red X where the CDs are?

www.mininova.org only has torrents for legal stuff in the public domain now.

Some really interesting hiostorical movies and docos there as well as interesting experimenytal music and video that the creators want to get out.

All legal I believe.

But you still need a torrent downloader to access them.

Cheers,

Maybe, but fundamental in determining whether any law was broken.

I'm not a lawyer, but is it illegal to intend to commit a crime here? That would mean it's possible to have illegal thoughts, which I didn't realise was the case in Australia.

Is it illegal to think about stealing a CD from K-Mart? Or obtaining a map showing the layout of the store with a big red X where the CDs are?

there's a nail with a sore head around here somewhere.

Thought police? That'd be me. I pinged my daughter this morning for looking at my partner's wallet (which he had left on the table where she normally sits) and saying out loud that she could just open that and steal some money. She says everything out loud which makes policing her thoughts very easy ;)

We ended up having a big talk about intent, which did remind me of this thread. Intent to commit murder, intent to steal, intent to throw a brick through a window, but not intent to download movies off the internet. Did I miss the most important part of the talk? :D

She doesn't like the movies her father downloads. They have people walking across the screen and people talking and rustling popcorn and the picture jiggles a bit. Hmmmmmmmmm.

They have people walking across the screen and people talking and rustling popcorn and the picture jiggles a bit. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I was surprised to read this (being 2010 and all), but then I remembered you live in the outback*, with (I'm guessing) slower-than-average internet speeds. What are the connections like there, RE?

*somewhere that's further than 10km from a major CBD.

I dont download movies or songs. Havent you guy seen the ads its the same as stealing :rolleyes:

what will in be next ?

taking the soap and shampoo from the hotel

parking in the pram spot at the shops when you dont have kids or disabled spots when you dont have a disability?

Using Daddy's police badge to get into the big day out for free?
:D

Back