Movie library needed

Hi, I have a pretty big selection (understatement) of movies and old TV shows that are on my various hard drives and I am really starting to lose track of what I have got and what I have and havent watched.

I have had a bit of a search online for some form of free library, that will catalogue them and show a thumbnail image of each, genre, a bit of a blurb on what it is about, actors, last played etc etc and then at the click of a title or thumbnail, open them on whatever player I use (in my case media player classic)

Any one found something like this yet?

Dave

I use a modded apple TV to display my movies from a file server using NFS via wireless.
It displays the movies as well as music via itunes along with album art on the TV with audio via the amp

The mod allows the Apple TV to have a SSH server and adds codex's to play other media formats. I have also increased the size of the HDD during the process.

Probably best to have a look around this site

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/index.php

If you cant find it there, then it dont exist:D

Thanks for that, but am I correct in saying that this is a site that specifically talks about Microsoft XP or vista media centre?, which I dont have.

I use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic , a FREE media player knock off which displays video and the sound better than Microsoft media player IMHO.

I got rid of the windows version as I found it far to buggy, ok for music and was having problems like this guy, although I run XP, not vista

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/com.../25619-unable-view-videos-vmc.html#post175762

I'm not sure if you have the same problem as I once did (sorry, it's 3 a.m. and my cognitive abilities are fading), but I have ripped my entire DVD library onto 3 500GB drives under VISTA Home Prem. Initially, I couldn't get Vista to recognize them, and I spent days messing around with different decoders and registry entries, etc. So I wiped everything off, installed MCE 2005, pointed its Media Center to my dvd folders (which worked fined), then upgraded to Vista Home Prem, and it now recognizes all of my DVDs (.vob under Movies Library), as well as .AVI files (under the Videos section).

HOWEVER, I now have this extremely frustrating problem, and I would appreciate your help (I just tried calling MS for tech support, but realized they wanted $59 for "customer service.") My Movies/DVD Library shows 200+ movies currently in my system, but 10 seconds into browsing the list, the freakin' thing resets and I have to start all over again. I have tried deleting all the logs and cache lists and even disabled "watch my folder" feature, changed the physical location of the files, repointed the dvd folder to new location, etc. all to no avail.

I also have 100GBs of music on my system, but my MCE's library is a friggin' mess (it treats each WMA file as a separate album, creating a bunch of nonsensical album art and composer information for records that don't exist).

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Task Manager was showing windows media player at 47% plus cpu usage, compared to media player classic at 3% and winamp about the same.

ADD) Just gave windows media player another run, because it show the movies in a list/library and CPU usage went up to 100%, ridiculous.

Like I said music is fine on the windows media player, I use it now but I am after something that does a similar/same job for cataloguing, but plays through media player classic, which uses very little resources.

Dave

Last edited:
I don't know of any other libraries than Itunes, but would be surprised if there are any better ones..

You can list by Genre, last played, year it was made, how many stars you rate it, etc etc

It would take ages to set it up properly (putting all the movie info in) but once set up, you could find any movie in an instant. Itunes is also free to download :D

I don't know of any other libraries than Itunes, but would be surprised if there are any better ones..

You can list by Genre, last played, year it was made, how many stars you rate it, etc etc

It would take ages to set it up properly (putting all the movie info in) but once set up, you could find any movie in an instant. Itunes is also free to download :D

Not sure that itunes accepts all different movie formats, I tried it a while back and I think it only allows .mov files?

Correct me if I am wrong..

itunes now accepts and plays MGP4

Another good player that is free is mythtv with video capture cards it also
can act as a hdd recorder

Thanks for that, but am I correct in saying that this is a site that specifically talks about Microsoft XP or vista media centre?, which I dont have.

Even though the bulk of the site relates to XP MCE, the site has a huge resource dedicated to other software and hardware. You'll find bucket loads of info on Media Player Classic and there will be many more people there that know what your after then on a property forum.

A quick search of 'Media Player Classic' revealed 183 hits

Dave, I don't know of a library, but I'm just wondering if you've tried VLC player. I used to be a fan of MPC too.

Yep, got VLC on there as well, but MPC does have the edge over it with volume levels louder, on my box anyway.

No library though

Dave

Even though the bulk of the site relates to XP MCE, the site has a huge resource dedicated to other software and hardware. You'll find bucket loads of info on Media Player Classic and there will be many more people there that know what your after then on a property forum.

A quick search of 'Media Player Classic' revealed 183 hits

Thanks shady, I'll wade through them

Dave

xbmc

XBMC!

http://xbmc.org/

It'll run on anything these days, and will catalogue everything for you. There's a little learning curve to get the "library" stuff worked out, but once you're done it's fantastic.

Edit: Also, make sure to switch to the "Mediastream" skin, it's nice.

Last edited:
XBMC!

http://xbmc.org/

It'll run on anything these days, and will catalogue everything for you. There's a little learning curve to get the "library" stuff worked out, but once you're done it's fantastic.

Edit: Also, make sure to switch to the "Mediastream" skin, it's nice.

Thanks murtagh, downloaded and installed and seems to be doing some of the things I want it to do on first inspection and I'm sure it will get better.

Reading the forum there now trying to solve problems , sound is fine, picture crap, have spent over an hour trying to get colours correct and without the red splotches and ghosting but no result as yet

Dave

Attachments

• Dodgy pic XBMC.JPG
    Dodgy pic XBMC.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 58
Thanks murtagh, downloaded and installed and seems to be doing some of the things I want it to do on first inspection and I'm sure it will get better.

Reading the forum there now trying to solve problems , sound is fine, picture crap, have spent over an hour trying to get colours correct and without the red splotches and ghosting but no result as yet

Dave

Oooh, never seen that before. Am guessing it's using Dvdplayer, not mplayer for video? Do you get the option to choose a different video player?

I run XBMC on an original Xbox under the TV, networked back to a samba share of a few TB of stuff. To set up the library all I actually needed to do was find the Movies/ and Tv/ folders, choose "options" and "add to library" and choose the appropriate scraper.

Once you get the library stuff going it's wonderful - you don't need to remember where you've seen up to ever again :)

All sorted now thanks, dropped a bit of code into it and all working a treat, apparently an issue with ATI hardware

Dave

Back