moving from west to bayside east melbourne help!

In a nutshell, family of 5 (3 kids 2,4,6yrs old). Own PPOR in Altona (good house in good location). For years we have thought about moving to the other side of the city, we are now getting itchy feet and want to pick a suburb to focus our search on and become familiar with the sale prices.

So, i have been reading this forum for years but never posted. We have some investment properties and i know this is an investment forum, but a PPOR is an investment too right? :)

I think there are many property experts on here and i was hoping to pick your brains for locations (pros/cons). The suburbs we are thinking about are Brighton East, Sandringham, Hampton. We can afford up to 1.6mil. (my husband has a boat and loves fishing, so we can't move from the bay :rolleyes:)

Does anyone know of the commute times on the trains to the city. Currently it is horrendous to altona with cancellations every day and a 40min minimum trip. My husband leaves work at say 6pm and gets home at 6.50pm. We can't keep doing this. The 8am trains are always cancelled, it's crazy. Plus i just don't like it here anymore. I have looked into williamstown but feel there are more facilities and private schools in the bayside/east.

We would be happy to live in an older house but with a big block as we would look at building new in 5yrs.

How do you pick a suburb? Good private school is a must for secondary, preferably co-ed but would go same gender if i liked the school.

Any advice, opinions or tips would be very much appreciated. :D

Buy something on the Sandringham train line, it's the best. Always get a seat...
If you really like fishing you could buy in Mordialloc.
1.6 would get you a nice place on beach rd.

A 1.6M budget opens you to a lot of areas, even bayside. I would suggest spending some time driving around those areas, attending open for inspections at random (they're everywhere on weekends). You will soon establish which areas/house styles you prefer. Good luck. :)

Does anyone know of the commute times on the trains to the city. Currently it is horrendous to altona with cancellations every day and a 40min minimum trip. My husband leaves work at say 6pm and gets home at 6.50pm. We can't keep doing this. The 8am trains are always cancelled, it's crazy. Plus i just don't like it here anymore. I have looked into williamstown but feel there are more facilities and private schools in the bayside/east.

Poor you, some people here in Tokyo commute for two hours to get to work, and stay there until 10pm at night, where they then commute 2 hours home again. All jammed into trains like sardines.

/end of sarcastic rant

We are also looking at moving into the same area in a few years, so will be interested to see how this thread goes.

With young kids, go for schools.

The best bay side public school is McKinnon High, with easy access to trains, beach (Brighton) and shopping (Southland). Easy access to best private schools around there. Melbourne High is in South Yarra.

Watch out for the McKinnon High school zone, as houses have to be within the geographic map for children to be eligible.

http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au/enrol.htm

:)

Your budget is good.

I suggest Mentone/Parkdale/Mordialloc (I am biased as I grew up in this area) but it has good schools. Mentone boys and girls grammar, the catholic colleges Kilbreda for girls and St Bedes for boys and it has the Mentone girls secondary college.

The train commute is around 30 - 40 mins.

For fishing the Mordy pier is nearby amd then Patterson River is another 10 mins.

Southland is nearby etc.

Hi
how did you go onthemove, i go on that train line everyday and can assure you that there are heaps of cancellations but when the train runs you ALWAYS get a seat on the first 6 stations at peak hour. Its the shortest line and it doesnt get the patronage of many of the other line.
Ive lived on that line at various housed for a decade so know the area well
btw 1.6 will buy you a sh.box on beach rd
cheers
pieman

Buy something on the Sandringham train line, it's the best. Always get a seat...

I used to use this line 6-7 years ago and from memory it didn't go through the loop? Was a pain getting off at Richmond then changing

Back on topic, $1.6m should buy you something just about anywhere in Bayside (bar golden mile stock and very close to beach). It's just a question of how much land, how nice the house is etc

South of Brighton, it may buy you a house, Middle brighton it will buy you a block of land of about 600SQM. Values in the worst streets round church st are about $2200+ sqm ranging to nth of $4000sqm over new st in the good streets like normadby. This is not golden mile.
Golden mile land is nth of $5000sqm.

East Brighton and Nth Brighton are a fair bit cheaper and you may buy a puffed out house. Hampton is an option as is Sandy and then vals decrease as you go south too Black rock.
cheers
sp

Poor you, some people here in Tokyo commute for two hours to get to work, and stay there until 10pm at night, where they then commute 2 hours home again. All jammed into trains like sardines.

/end of sarcastic rant

We are also looking at moving into the same area in a few years, so will be interested to see how this thread goes.

Yea but Japanese people are cool. I'd love to hang out at the station with them.

have i moved yet??

NOPE. we weighed up everything and have just really realised that we don't want to get caught up in 'always trying to do better better better'.

Our house is paid off, fully reno'ed and altona has grown on me (its no sandringham, but it's home). so even though we COULD move, we like the sleepy seaside village of altona.

It's funny that the grass is not greener. Being in a very high income family and having a family home paid off is great and i guess we thought that we should always be trying to improve our situation more and more. But, ultimately we are happy and have realised that NO area is perfect and 'all you need is love' :D:D

I think we will just sit back and save some nice little deposits for some nice little houses :D

yeah the east is nice, the train line on the altona line is awful... but at least it isn't 3hrs!!! :p

NOPE. we weighed up everything and have just really realised that we don't want to get caught up in 'always trying to do better better better'.

Our house is paid off, fully reno'ed and altona has grown on me (its no sandringham, but it's home). so even though we COULD move, we like the sleepy seaside village of altona.

It's funny that the grass is not greener.

yeah the east is nice, the train line on the altona line is awful... but at least it isn't 3hrs!!! :p

Avoid the middle bits of the longer train lines, like Altona on the Werribee line or Moorabbin - Glenhuntly on the Frankston line. More crowding and fewer trains compared to beyond Laverton or Cheltenham.

http://www.transport.vic.gov.au/doi...E86D4F30A09DB660CA256F1000218747?OpenDocument

shows the comparative performance between lines. You're right - the grass is not always greener on the other side; the Werribee line is more reliable than the Frankston line, even if the Altona bit isn't.

You're right - the grass is not always greener on the other side; the Werribee line is more reliable than the Frankston line, even if the Altona bit isn't.
Whenever the train runs late, it will run express from Laverton to Newport and skip the Altona loop. Altona is deemed unimportant due to its low population.

yes and it upsets me to think how much more land cost is in altona compared to laverton, altona meadows, werribee.

my husband could use the laverton station but the parking is a nightmare. from our house he walks a brisk 7 minutes. laverton station is only 5 minute drive but would take probably 10 minutes to find a park then another 10 to walk to the platform. hmmm can't win.

oh well at least it isn't 3hrs! :eek:

i honestly think we will end up in williamstown (the nicer part) in about 4-5 years time. if i can just get over the awful high rise commission buildings that dominate the shoreline :(

i love to shop in the city (not knifepoint) so this is very convenient for me. oh and lets not forget i can be closer to the chocolate muffins at costco!! mmmm :eek:

A seat?! :eek:

You are lucky to just get on the train from Windsor/Prahran stations from anytime after 7.30am.:( without having made it to first base inadvertantly with the fellow passengers in your immediate area.

A seat?! :eek:

You are lucky to just get on the train from Windsor/Prahran stations from anytime after 7.30am.:( without having made it to first base inadvertantly with the fellow passengers in your immediate area.

yeah i think he meant to say from sandy to about gardenvale you always get a seat. If there is a cancelled train, like last night on the way home you cant even get in the carriage.

Back