Moving in to your own investment property

Hi,

I was wondering what are the implications of moving into your own investment property and continue to pay rent to your real estate agent, perhaps under a different name, such as your partner. The reason being is to keep the negative gearing and tax implications.

Reason being is that I would eventually like to move into the investment property but cannot change it to PROR, so would it make sense to make yourself the tenant? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
David

Hi,

I was wondering what are the implications of moving into your own investment property and continue to pay rent to your real estate agent, perhaps under a different name, such as your partner. The reason being is to keep the negative gearing and tax implications.

Reason being is that I would eventually like to move into the investment property but cannot change it to PROR, so would it make sense to make yourself the tenant? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
David

Congrats you have won the stupid question of the week award. Generally I say there is no such thing as a dumb question. Not today. And yes its also theft if you ask a teller to hand you all the money in the till. (See both are criminal)

Why not just make up the rent and don't even use an agent. Hell while you at it just double the loan interest and max out your deduction. Fraud is fraud so why pay an agent as a middleman.

Self assessment for income tax means you are making a false statement to the Commissioner when you prepare the return. Even if an agent does it.

Done properly I think he'll get away with it.

I mean if you have a different address (say a mate's place) where mail can be received and you occasionally stay there and only stay at the IP on "odd occasions" lol.

Yep, I think it's doable.

Back