Moving / removing street tree

Has anyone managed to negotiate with council to move or remove a street tree?

I'm planning a development with two crossovers, but there's a street tree that's a little too close to the second proposed crossover. (Monash) council have refused to let us move the tree. In Victoria, does anyone know if there are any review mechanisms for this?

I think it's a local laws issue, so from what I understand, VCAT has no jurisdiction.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

our current development (first we are seeing through) had what we like to refer to as a $3,000 shrub. It was a scrappy little POS that could have been a chance seedling and it had never had a drink in its life. However it was directly where we needed a cross over with out major expense.

So first council requested an independent arborist report who said yep its a POS shrub and not even an army of termites would miss it if they were starving.

The council then responded and said of course you can remove it as it won't cause any change to the street scape of broken down cars and abandoned shopping trolleys, all it will cost is a levy of $2,000 to cover the 'expenses we have incurred planning, planting, and maintaining this tree'.

Ohh and we have to cut it down our selves, i am tempted to dig it up and replant it somewhere i have paid so much and filled out so many bits of paper for it, seriously i put less effort into finding girlfriends when i was younger than this tree.

Anyway to answer you question it will depend on the size, you will typically have to get a report done to comment on the impact, and assuming it won't change the street view they will sting you a fee to ensure they have enough for another and the christmas party.

The tree is too close to the boundary. We're developing a four townhouse block, the idea was to have one townhouse with its own frontage and crossover, and the remaining three to have access off the other driveway.

Thanks G & T. Happy to pay, but council have flatly rejected it. Just wondering if there is any review/appeal available.

I had this a few years back, tree was camphor which may have helped them say yes, priviso was a fee & 2 trees to replace afterwards.

Why dont you suggest that you will pay for fairly mature replacements to be paid for and maintained by you till sale date, where you will be responsible to replace if they fail while you own the property.

I had issues with a council tree. Is the tree too close to the driveway or in the way of the proposed driveway. I had to pay an arborist $$$$ for a report including getting a hydrovac machine in to assess the root system.in the end was able to proceed with the right pavers that 'environmentally friendly'

I've had clients who has needed tree removed, council said no deal. They spoke to a family friend who worked for another council who helped them draft a letter. There angle was that the tree didn't meet the street scape and the new dwellings would be improvement etc.

Have you asked the council for where to next, if you're able to appeal? I would ask if a similar issue has come up and how was it resolved. Sometimes they won't tell you straight up, but if you ask May get results.

Thanks for all the replies. The draftsman was dealing with council. I thought he had formally applied, but he just spoke with their arborist who agreed the tree is nothing pretty, but it's healthy and it's unlikely council will approve removing it.

Apparently council will only look at it as part of a DA, once sketches are done. We're meeting with the draftsman today to discuss whether we will push for this, or settle on a single crossover. I'll keep you posted.

Has anyone managed to negotiate with council to move or remove a street tree?

I'm planning a development with two crossovers, but there's a street tree that's a little too close to the second proposed crossover. (Monash) council have refused to let us move the tree. In Victoria, does anyone know if there are any review mechanisms for this?

I think it's a local laws issue, so from what I understand, VCAT has no jurisdiction.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

you didn't think of removing the tree before putting in your application? I've heard people do some creative things to remove trees to suit... best of luck.

Back