Moving to Canberra - advice appreciated.

Long time reader, first time poster.

We are in the process of moving to Canberra or Queanbeyan, probably by around Christmas. And I am hoping we can get some sound advice regarding a couple of issues. In particular schools and property.

I have done a fair bit of research on both these forums and also the excellent allhomes website (that is an amazing resource, and I am sure if it went national would bury the competitors).

We have renovated two houses, and plan on keeping the one we are in as an IP, and then either buy one in Canberra to renovate or buy land and build a new one.

I am very adverse to living in the 'burbs as such. And we are therefore looking at two primary areas. Either a house around Narrabundah, Griffith etc which we can gut and renew with a budget of around $400,000 or a rural block outside of Queanbeyan where we can build a new house around $200,000

We don't want to buy in a new estate and we don't want to buy a house where someone else has already done the work. Are we dreaming? Are there other areas we could be looking at?

We are also looking for schools for our girls. Two of them currently attend a very 'homey' Catholic primary school which has been fantastic. By next year though two will be in high school and one in primary. Are there smaller schools around Canberra, public or private doesn't matter, with good reputations? We don't want our kids to end of some huge school where everyone is just trying to get by. Are there schools we should avoid?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate it's all a matter of personal opinion, we are just hoping for a bit more information to digest

Cheers

I am very adverse to living in the 'burbs as such. And we are therefore looking at two primary areas. Either a house around Narrabundah, Griffith etc which we can gut and renew with a budget of around $400,000 or a rural block outside of Queanbeyan where we can build a new house around $200,000

In General,

You will be luck to get houses in those areas at those prices

Checkout allhomes.com.au to get a better idea of prices

Cannot really comment on schools except the better schools probably tend to be in the better suburbs.

Good luck

Yes, I have been going through All homes.

Regarding Narrabundah, it seems there are two sides? One is less desirable than the other.

The problem I seem to be finding is that there are just not that many houses that up for renovation there? Given that the majority of housing development has occured since the '50s

Regarding land, I was probably thinking along the lines of private sales in the area East of Queanbeyan. Which are a bit harder to locate online.

As for the aaaaaarrrgh - tell me about it :(

East of Sturt Ave Narrabundah is the less desirable part of Narra. I have heard reports it has been gentrifying, but it's still rough I think.

For Queanbeyan, call Maxwell Reals Estate, and talk with Jason. He knows about renos and adding value, and could probably give you some pretty good numbers on before and after. Say hello from me.

However, I would not live in Qbn if you want your kids to go to good schools (I might get shot down for this). But neither of my kids had good schooling experiences in primary or secondary schools in Qbn. (They are at Girls Grammar now. Expensive, but a lot cheaper than the Sydney counterparts). You can get into some Canberra schools, especially the private and catholic ones, but first choice is always for people living in the area. Even in the Catholic school in Canberra, my daughter had some extremely bad experiences- even to the point of derogatory remarks from a teacher because she lived at Queanbeyan.

Do you know where in Canberra you are going to work? That can make a difference.

Thanks.

The contact at the Qbn real estate will be very handy thanks for that.

SWMBO will be working in Queanbeyan, however we both have the inclination to live in Canberra - largely because the schooling seems better.

I am the home dad / renovator and thus the call to find something that can be renovated, or affordable land somewhere to build on. I am just finishing the renovation on our PPOR and it will realise around $200,000 CG over and above the cost of purchase and the cost of renovations since 2002.

It also means that once we get settled in Canberra I can start looking for PI opportunities in Canberra, Cairns and Melbourne - our preferred locations!

Thanks Geoff, I rang Jason and he seems great. Was able to succinctly paraphrase back to me what we are looking for and pulled no punches.

Thanks Coffee, but whatever happens we will never pay rent. Been there.

That list of schools was handy, we are also looking for the 'inside running' on schools. We know which schools in Albury are thought highly of, and we looking for that sort of opinion as well

Cheers

Hi there
just wondering if you have considered the area around Weston Creek.
Chapman schools have quite good reputations as has the Stromlo High School.
It is still possible to get something at a reasonable price around the area and the benefit is it is easily accessible to most areas of Canberra and Queanbeyan.
We have an IP in Duffy - rebuilt after the Canberra bushfires - so that is my bias.
thanks

Thanks Raddles, I will do some homework on the area. I have been a bit fixated on South Canberra and Queanbeyan, but prices are dictating that I should look further afield

Cheers

Thanks Raddles, I will do some homework on the area. I have been a bit fixated on South Canberra and Queanbeyan, but prices are dictating that I should look further afield

Cheers

Not sure how old your children are, but my pick for high schools is Radford - not quite as dear as the Grammar schools but just as good. Radford is in Bruce (near Belconnen). You will need to get your children's names on their waiting list though asap. Maybe look at Lyneham for properties. Lyneham High is a very popular government school - excellent for music, maths, science and has a Challenge program. There are still renovators on large blocks in this suburb. Ditto Downer, where there are buses from Dickson into Belconnen, Civic etc. In South Canberra there are the two Grammars, St Edmonds, St Clare's and Narrabundah College - all worth considering. For primary schools in this area, Forrest and Red Hill are the government schools and there are a plethora of Catholic primaries and Telopea - a French/Australian school which takes English speaking kids. Narrabundah on the 'bad' side is minimum $450k. Dallee

Weston Creek is my pick in the ACT. Thatarea has been a brilliant investment for me over the past 10 years. Ex govies(low end) are up over the 400K mark now.
This one sold for K409 this week
http://allhomes.com.au/c/ah?a=sp&p=294674
There are always doer uppers out there in the market you just have to keep researching and getting out there. It is better in my opinion to get out and ask questions to gain info on different venders reasons that they are selling( the answers to those questions are often the birth place of some outstanding deal making.) Behind every house for sale is a vendor and if you can understand what that person wants then it makes it easier to see if your deal is going to apeal to them.:)
Good luck with your research.
Cheers
Simon

Thanks Dallee and SimonJulie

My preference at this stage is stay away from the inner Northern Suburbs as a PPOR. My perception (quite possibly nothing to do with reality) is that as an area to live it is not quite desirable.

Although SWMBO will checkout Radford in the next day or so. She has been visiting all sorts of schools right across the spectrum. Our girls are 8 12 and 16.

I agree, nothing is better than footwork in regard to house hunting, but sadly I am 400km away so have to carry out a fair bit of research online. I will be doing a few flying visits over the next few weeks, visiting auctions/open houses etc.

One of the attractions for buying into Narrabundah is the difference between a house that needs work and a completey renovated house. If we can pick up a house in Narrabundah for $400k or thereabouts and spend somewhere between $50k to $100k on it then we can reasonably look at a return of around 50 to 70% ($600k to $700k) even on the dark side of the street - assuming the reno isn't totally arsed up. As far as I can tell the 'mark-up' on a lot of the other suburbs is a bit less, making the margins harder to manage.

Alternately we don't have the capital to dive straight into Red Hill etc.

Although I will take a drive around Weston Creek. Given that I have received a bit of positive feedback on that area.

Anyone have an opinon on Campbell? A quick scan on All homes tells me it maybe beyond us, but once again a drive around the burbs will give me a better feel.

Hi there
for what it is worth our tenant actually is from Albury Wodonga and moved to Canberra electing Weston Creek - and our property at Duffy - to stay in for the last 3 years.
Our tenant is also a real estate agent with L J Hooker at Manuka - her name is Leanne Palmer - if you wanted to talk about why they chose Weston Creek, schools etc
thanks

I would definitely like to chat with her, do you think she would mind a) her name being posted here? b) a cold call from me? She would be another great resource

Thanks

Realestate agents would always love to hear from someone wanting to by property :)
Leanne used to be one of my property managers a while back.:) It is nice to hear she is still in the game.
Cheers
Simon

Just had very good chat to Leanne. She appreciates the kudos from both you guys 'made her day'.

Now having a look at a place in Mawson.

Cheers

Back