Moving to Melbourne - Good Suburbs?

Hi folks,

Moving to Melbourne for work.

Wondering if anyone can help suggest any great suburbs to live in.

Want to live close-ish to the CBD / transport.

I would like to be within walking distance to cafe / bar precincts / shopping facilities.

I like nice street scapes / trees / greenery / parks.

I will initially be renting and prefer newer / renovated type accomodation.

Aren't I a fussy cat :)

Melbournites please help me find the perfect area to live in !!!!

Many thanks

stuart

Hi folks,

I would like to be within walking distance to cafe / bar precincts / shopping facilities.

Many thanks

stuart

If those are your requirements then get out the multi-million dollar chequebook. You are looking at the best parts of the premium suburbs, Hawthorn, Kew, Camberwell.

Somewhat close to city/transport (<10kms), walking distance to shops, leafy and renovated, $2million plus in most of those areas unless you want something single fronted in which case mid 1's (or a unit/apartment). You could also look out north around Ivanhoe which is cheaper. The inner west is a possiblility also (substianially less) but not really that green.

I think though you probably need to give us an idea on budget and be prepared to compromise on half of those criteria.

i owned and lived in a place in thornbury, very much enjoyed it.

About 7km from city in the north, very good train and tram service, good parks, still decent sized places for what i considered reasonable cash. The main bar district is brunswick street which is a tram not a walk sorry.

In the east hawthorn, richmond or camberwell will suit your list but expect big cash for any land even little blocks.

I sold my 3 1 2 fully renovated on a 300m^2 block for 550 last year.

I like the inner Bayside area: Port Melbourne down to Elwood. Nice streets with trees, parks, cafes, nice feel to them especially in summer being near the beach. Can get cold and windy in winter though, but worth it for the summer. :)

Apartment in Southbank, South Melbourne, Queens Rd or Docklands?

Not sure about the streetscape bit but there are parks and a few trees (especially if you consider Southbank/South Melb/Albert Park precinct)

Most of the apartments in the area are newish.

The Y-man

Hi folks,

Many thanks

stuart

MAAATE!

Don't frigq around; go straight to Elwood.

Got it all there, and the beach. Awesome area.

Not as good as good old D-Romania (Dromana) but a lot closer to Etihad Stadium and The G.

GO PIES

I have to agree with BV - except for that last inane comment in the big font. Being Friday night he's obviously on the p!$$ early. :p

No seriously - Elwood is great. Not so many weekend tourists & other annoyances as St Kilda, nice village atmosphere, beach, tree -lined streets, and only a few km from the city. If i was to go back to the big smoke Elwood would be very appealing.

thanks guys flying down on Friday and will scope those areas out

areas i will be looking at is

- south yarra
- albert park
- prahran
- south melbourne
- southbank
- windsor
- st kilda

& last but not least Elwood :p

Back