MS Project Help Required

Hi All,

As a part of my Building Studies course at TAFE I am completing a unit called Construction Planning.

The project that I am working on at the moment requires me to produce schedules for materials & plant.

I was wondering if it possible to create a new column that looks at a particular item of work and create a material delivery date for 3 days prior to this date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Do you mean a new "row" rather than a new "column"?

If I understand you correctly then you need to:

1) Create a task for the "material delivery"
2) Create a new task for the "item of work".
3) Edit the "item of work" task and add the "material delivery" task as a predecessor.

Let me know if you need any more info.

EC

Blue - I think Glenn is talking about Microsoft Project and not Microstation the CAD program.

Is that right Glenn?

Wombat

Hi All,

Sorry for the confusion, it is in fact Microsoft Project that I am completing the current assignment with.

All of my work items are under trade area headings, all are linked to at least one predecessor and are the predecessor of at least one other work item.

Start and finish dates have been automatically created for all items of work, but where an item of work requires a material to be delivered to site I would like to be able to create a column beside the start date that gives the date that is 3 working days prior to the work start date.

For example, if the bricklayers were starting on the 19th September I would like the bricks to be delivered on the 16th September.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

You need to use a "Finish to Start" dependency, and add a lead time.

For instance, if you have "Lay Bricks" starting on 19/9, you could add "Deliver Bricks", with "Finish to Start" dependency to Lay Bricks (i.e. finish of "Deliver Bricks" aligns to the start of Lay Bricks").

Then add a 3 day lead (enter -3 days) so that the finish of Deliver Bricks will be 3 days before the start of Lay Bricks, rather than right on the start of Lay Bricks.

Hope it helps... Project is tricky :)

Back