Mt Katla volcano

Sounds to me as if the good Dr is telling porkies. He is not neutral in this debate having come out strongly in the alarmist camp.

Sounds to me as if the good Dr is telling porkies. He is not neutral in this debate having come out strongly in the alarmist camp.

I only heard part of an interview, and I'm not even sure it WAS Dr Karl, but I suppose it would be easy to google. It was not an "alarmist" interview, but just an answer to the question about how the volcano's "stuff" compared to what would be spewed from aircraft that would normally be flying.

I found that really interesting.

Makes me not want to fly..... but probably that also has something to do with my 14 year old getting me to watch "Air Crash Investigation" with him lately :eek:.

Makes you think when experts claim that 70% of the worlds population will all be living in Cities by 2050,and something like this can flatten several countries overnight..willair..

Might be talking about the 1783 Laki eruption?

See ya's.

The Laki Volcano eruption in Iceland can also be said to have contributed significantly to the French Revolution. After several years of extreme weather in Europe caused by the Laki eruption, the ensuing destruction of crops and livestock brought famine and poverty that built up in France, triggering the Revolution which began in 1789.

When was the potato famine?

I looked it up myself and the famine was caused by potato blight, and earlier as Willair says, so we can excuse Iceland of that one. :)

In reference to the Laki volcano eruption in Iceland, Benjamin Franklin during a lecture in 1784 made the following comments ‘….when the effect of the sun’s rays to heat the earth in these northern regions should have been greater, there existed a constant fog over all Europe, and a great part of North America…’

The Laki volcano eruption in Iceland therefore, effectively eradicated the summer of that year. The sun was obscured by the vast cloud caused by the Laki eruption and, what should have been a warm summer in the northern hemisphere, took on winter proportions, not just in Iceland, but all over Europe. It was reported that the sun either remained as a pale ghost or took on a strange, blood red colour in the volcanic haze.

The repercussions of the Laki Volcano eruption in Iceland resonated throughout Europe for the next few years. The summer of 1783, having been turned to winter was followed by an extreme, harsh winter in 1784, even in North America where it was reported as one of the coldest on record.

If this is no exageration, and there really was no summer after Laki 1783, there'd be massive famine globally if it happened again. To grow crops, you need a certain frost free period, otherwise there can be no crop.

I'm wondering if it is indeed an exageration, because if this did happen I'd reckon more than half the people would have starved to death back then.

If that eruption happened today, and if there was no summer, with summer frosts in North America and Europe, I'd reckon more than half the worlds grain crop would be wiped out, or that'd be a billion tonnes of a 2 billion tonne crop.

A 50 million tonne grain shortfall caused grain prices to double 3 years ago. What would a billion tonne shortfall do?

See ya's.

I thought some weeks ago that earthquake and volcano activity had been noticeably more for the last 6-12 mths. However, when I read up, the boffins reckon it is all within statistically normal levels.

Re flying, the greater risk isn't from CO2 emissions, it is in accelerating mutation of virii. A highly lethal mutant will eventually develop, and planes will spread it rapidly.

Hi all,

Here is the latest Seismic activity around Katla. There is increasing activity around the western edge of Katla, not a good sign.

bye

Attachments

• Katla 22-5.png
    Katla 22-5.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 47
Back