Mt Katla volcano

I just listened to an Evelyn Garriss interview. She is a very smart lady for long range weather.

She made the observation that last time Katla (The Iceland volcano beside the one erupting) erupted in 1918 it caused such heavy rain the trenches in France were flooded. (Not sure about this, Paschendale was in 1917) Another time it covered Europe in dust and filtered the sunlight so much, crops failed and the French peasants were told to eat cake. Also linked to the the Irish potato famine.

I might do a little research because I'm reading Beneath Hill 60. Hill 60 is outside Ypres and was blown during the Third Battle of Ypres, also known as Paschendale) I don't need much of an excuse to look up that battle, my Father was there somewhere and I can't find where he fought, all I know is what Company he was with.

Sunfish- have you looked for his record in the National Archives? www.naa.gov.au - if his name is in there but his service record is not online, you can get it for $15.

I looked up a great uncle. Included in his record was an original letter from my great great grandmother- along with everywhere he served.

Sunfish- have you looked for his record in the National Archives?

That's where I found out what I already know. Dad never spoke of it.

Thanks for your interest. I just wrote a long reply and deleted it as too personal. I will just post this quote from a site
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-battles/ww1/france/3rd_ypres.htm

Butcher Haig never saw the ground that his troops were dying on. He considered it unnecessary to actually view the ground or to know what was happening. He was described as "shy as a schoolgirl", was probably homosexual, was the product of the British Public School system and a different age and was both stubborn as a mule and stupid to boot. When 3rd Ypres was over Haig's Chief of Staff visited the area for THE FIRST TIME. He was appalled by the conditions. He asked "Why was I not told?" Thousands of soldiers who were sent to needless death, by Haig and by him, could well ask, "Why didn't you ask. Why didn't you look. Why didn't you care?"

Thanks for that link Geoff. My Granmother was a nurse in WW1 and I have her autograph book which is full of names and drawing from survivors at Gallipoli etc. A lot of them have put their batallions in as well as their names and there is some great artwork in there too. I am thinking of doing a project on it maybe tracing some of the families....dunno, just an idea at the moment.
That link will be a good start though.

Just watched my son in the local ANZAC march with my 93 yr old dad. He was in PNG in WW2 but never marches ( won't say why). First time though that I have gone to a march with him....was good.

What a treasure that autograph book is. Wonderful.

My Dad never marched either so don't open old wounds by asking and wait for his passing before getting his records. I think I worked out why my Dad didn't get involved in ANZAC and the RSL when I read his records. It's all "Private stuff".

Dulce Et Decorum Est.

Sunfish, if your father fought in WW1, that'd make you almost 80.

Great to see computer savvy oldies. My own dad needs to get online.

Dulce Et Decorum Est.

Sunfish, if your father fought in WW1, that'd make you almost 80.

Great to see computer savvy oldies. My own dad needs to get online.

A fair bit short of that. But I have been called a "grumpy old man" on this forum. :D

And you have touched on why I don't think long term. LOL

Bump

Sunfish- have you looked for his record in the National Archives? www.naa.gov.au - if his name is in there but his service record is not online, you can get it for $15.

I looked up a great uncle. Included in his record was an original letter from my great great grandmother- along with everywhere he served.

I was given a link to an Australian War Memorial site, which I already knew existed, but I was pointed to: http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/war_diaries/

It looks as if the Daily diaries of unit commanders are all there in PDF format. The ones I was interested in were hand written and brief so I spent the day trying to remember how to read hand writing.

Of great interest was that my father's company, 24th Machine Gun Co, was responsible for shooting down Baron von Richthofen. (He, personally, had been sent home by then.)

Appendix J here: http://www.awm.gov.au/cms_images/AWM4/24/AWM4-24-24-8.pdf

BTW May Day holiday up here!

It's still going?

The iceland volcano is not even newsworthy anymore. It disrupted airlines for a week or two. Even grain prices spiked a bit but have dropped back down. But it's still going, causing problems.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7127706.ece

THE Icelandic eruption that has caused misery for air travellers could be part of a surge in volcanic activity that will affect the whole of Europe for decades, scientists have warned.

They have reconstructed a timeline of 205 eruptions in Iceland, spanning the past 1,100 years, and found that they occur in regular cycles — with the relatively quiet phase that dominated the past five decades now coming to an end.

At least three other big Icelandic volcanoes are building towards an eruption, according to Thor Thordarson, a volcanologist at Edinburgh University

Eyjafjallajokull is a little one. If a few others get going, as they often do after Eyjafjallajokull starts it might be the straw that breaks the camels back as far as Europe is concerned. Or as Mr fish would say, 'A black swan event'.

See ya's.

Hi all,

This link I have been looking at shows the seismic activity in the area...

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

Eyjafjallajokull, the currently active volcanoe, is where all the earthquakes are happening, Katla is the larger one 20km to the East, called Mýrdalsjökull. The few small earthquakes to the north of Eyjafjallajokull seem to be activity in a slightly new area, different to the last month.

When we start getting the quakes around Mýrdalsjökull, watch out..

bye

When the volcano went off a couple of weeks ago, another bloke on the radio (you can tell I don't much telly) said that it was putting into the atmosphere about the same amount of stuff as would have been put there by all the grounded planes if they were flying. I have no idea whether he right. It was on that leftie network I listen to - the ABC.

a history buff friend was telling me that around the mid 1600's (or so, i can't recall exactly whenbut it was several centuries ago) iceland was setting off one of it's volcanoes big time - and no one could work out why all the healthy young farm labourers in eastern britain were dropping dead in the fields.

apparently wiped out the entire labour force of whole villages.

pretty toxic stuff - i think i'd prefer the pilot to not attempt to fly thru it.

a history buff friend was telling me that around the mid 1600's (or so, i can't recall exactly whenbut it was several centuries ago) iceland was setting off one of it's volcanoes big time - and no one could work out why all the healthy young farm labourers in eastern britain were dropping dead in the fields.

apparently wiped out the entire labour force of whole villages.

pretty toxic stuff - i think i'd prefer the pilot to not attempt to fly thru it.
I read about that too. I think was the physical effects of the ash in the lungs of hard, outdoor workers rather than toxicity.

The French Revolution was in the late 18th century and someone said that it was the Iceland volcanos which caused the crop failure which prompted someone to tell them to eat cake. And the Ireland potato famine too! You've always got to find something to blame. :D

When the volcano went off a couple of weeks ago, another bloke on the radio (you can tell I don't much telly) said that it was putting into the atmosphere about the same amount of stuff as would have been put there by all the grounded planes if they were flying. I have no idea whether he right. It was on that leftie network I listen to - the ABC.

I heard that too (was it Dr Karl K?) but what I heard was that the volcano was putting out LESS "stuff" than if the usual number of planes were flying. I was amazed. We should all get back to travelling in style in big ships.... better still, sailing ships :D.

I think I heard (same interview?) that long ago when the current problem volcano erupted the Katla one next to it followed a short time later. I think it was said that this has happened more than once, but it sounded to me like there might be a big one coming that will make this look like child's play.

Back