Mt Tambourine in Gold Coast

does anyone know any details about this area?

I found a hillside land with views to the Gold Coast in the far distance. THere is a shed there at the moment.

I found a hillside land with views to the Gold Coast in the far distance. THere is a shed there at the moment.

i love the place personally but take it from me, go and check the block personally cause chances are the image of the g/coast skyline may have been take with a telephoto lens............agents everywhere will try and manipulate anything for a sale...what you see online may not be what you will get.........

dont expect too much hustle and bustle there, its a pretty sleepy place and quite cool at times...

as for the word "hillside" land...are we talking about mountain goat country? if so $$$$$$$$$$$ to build usually, hence maybe why the block looks attractive until you get quotes to build there.

do some serious due diligence before committing to any "hillside" block.

best of luck..

something to note - the Salvation Army are about to open a drug rehabilitation centre, many residents have opposed this. It will be located at 168 MacDonnell Road, Eagle Heights.

The area is relatively busy with tourists, etc. Lots of nice B&B's, boutique style shops, Gallery Walk (aka long road, eagle heights) is very popular, its a strip of cafes and shops, although there is never enough parking for cars there.

There are a few different villages up in the mountains, North Tamborine, Tamborine Mountain, Eagle Heights, Wongawallen, etc.

When it rains heavily the area often gets flooded in, and if you want to get to the coast then you would have to go a long way (e.g. come out near Beenleigh or down towards Nerang).

You can drive from Eagle Heights to the M1/Oxenford in 15 minutes if its quiet. but the road is quite twisty and steep.

Land/house wise there are a lot of nice houses up there. Im pretty sure its all septic tanks and tank water as no town water. ADSL can be a problem because the houses are quite spaced out from exchanges.

You do get really nice views of the gold coast from a lot of land. I agree with the other comments that don't go off what is in the picture on the internet, I find a lot list stuff with a generic view photo but really to see that view from the land you need to be 60m tall and so on.

Council is Scenic Rim council I believe which also handles Beaudesert. Even though it's only 15/30mins from the GC dependent on where your heading, there is no public transport.

This is just what Ive learnt/picked up from living in the GC for ~2 years and visiting the area around a dozen times. It certainly has a nice community feel and would be a great place if you had babies/kiddies. Theres not much in the way of employment though. Rents would achieve $270-370 for a standard house IMHO.

I lived up there at Cedar Creek over 25 years ago before i meet the "Wife" on a very large block,it went up 300% over a 5 year period
one of the best places i have ever lived,very cold at night,there was no crime up there back then and it was on the side of a hill,plus back then you could put a "D9" into places that now days you would have no hope of doing,I still have mates that live up there and was up there over the last few days looking at aproperty that i have been watching for a while now on 165 acres on three titles that backs onto the Lamington National Park that sold for 1.4 mill over 4 years ago,and now is in the low 9ook"s so that might give you an idea on what happening up there.some people went in blind up there in around 07-08 and now can't sell,good luck
willair..
btw that property went from the very low 110k in 1987,then back down
around 80k in around 1991,then resold for 1.4 mill in 07-08 i just don't want to give too much away just yet,as i waiting for the phonecall and there is still 23 hours to go and that contract goes in the fireplace and start again..

I lived up there at Cedar Creek over 25 years ago before i meet the "Wife" on a very large block

Lucky you! The cafe's and pub had the best fruit pies and scones. i used to visit quite often about 20 yrs ago. It's a funny place that is very iscolated, everyone knows everyone, last I heard a lot of residents were working at movie World. When I think back, red dirt, avocado's, relaxing views and a musty smell comes to mind. :)

Last edited:
Lucky you! The cafe's and pub had the best fruit pies and scones. i used to visit quite often about 20 yrs ago. It's a funny place that is very iscolated, everyone knows everyone, (did you know the Bull family Willair?) last I heard a lot of residents were working at movie World. When I think back, red dirt, avocado's, relaxing views and a musty smell comes to mind. :)

No don't know them,i only drank at the front bar most of the old$$$$$ money types drank in the other bars,the property i bought was on the side of a hill ,and had been the local re advertiser that being they would pull up look at the front of the Block and look skywards, lantana rusty car bodies,bullet holes in the speed signs and the gully and not even get out of the agents 4wd,then the nice honest agent would take them to the target property that they knew after looking at the property that i bought,they might buy:rolleyes:i was the only punter that got out of car and walked up too the top of the hill face through the lantanna black brown snakes plus bush ticks in 2 years i think it was on the market for 3 years
prior to me spending 4 k down at 18% interest i bought it hired the local "D9" FOR 2K pushed in a road and a large pad and had a 360 view of everything anyone that had any foward thinking could have seen what you could do if only they walked up the hillface,only seems like yesterday.willair..
I still have the dog tags from all the US Men That came to Australia to save us from the Japanese IN WW2 my property was in what was called The Brisbane Line,That being if the Japanese took Australia the Aussies US forces intened to draw a line in the red dirt and fight them till the end,i have 14 US WW2 dogs tags from those men who went into NG after they left the mountain all those dogs tags old and several other items were dug up when i pushed in the pad on top of the block
Those Men saved Australia otherwise we would all be talking Japanese
now and eating rice..willair..

Interesting story Willair! I didn't know anyone with money that lived there. The people I met lived there for a lifestyle, not to make money. Some of them were musicians who were probably playing Jazz music while you were at the bar. Some of them owned small businesses like Picture Framers, Screenprinters, Recording Studios.

Georges - check out what's happening around Beaudesert too. It's been a while since I've researched but I think there was a lot of planned changes for the area. eg employment

Bought PPOR at Mt Tamborine (Eagle Heights) in 2009. It was a lifestyle choice as the area is beautiful, clean, green, almost crime free and cooler than Brisbane and Gold Coast. Commute by car to Bris CBD is just over an hour and Cold Coast approx half an hour or less depending where you want to go.

There is no public transport available on the mountain except for private bus companies that service state and private schools and do charters.

Many properties on the mountain have coastal, valley and/or bush views which can impact on purchase price. Hillside blocks with varing levels of slope need to be checked for land stability as there are some areas more prone to landslip. Depending on how many $$$$ you want to spend there is a limited supply of land available. Quite a few development applications (eg. rezoning, subdivision and commerical development) have been rejected by council due to strong opposition from locals.

During very heavy rain events 2 creek crossings on the Tamborine/Oxenford Rd (easten side below mountain) can flood for a short time, but 2 new bridges are due to be constructed in the near future (according to the local paper) with some preparations already beginning. The roads going down the mountain are bitumen but do have varing degrees of slope and curves.

I agree with some of the other posters that at times (especially on weekends & holidays) quite a few tourists come up the mountain to visit the many cafe's, galleries, wineries, resorts, B&Bs, rainforest national parks etc

The main town center is in North Tamborine with a supermarket and the other usual general stores eg. post office, newsagent, banks, garages, bakeries, cafe's/restuarants, etc.

All properties on the mountain have either septic or the more modern sewage systems eg. HSTP. Drinking water is either (rain) tank water or top quality Mt Tamborine bore water. All houses existing or newly built need to have rain water tanks. Rainfall is plentiful, mainly in summer but (rain) water tanks do get regular top ups even in winter.

ADSL is not a problem for us or our neighbours.

The (upmarket) drug rehab centre is also a non-issue as it is located in a large bushland block off the main road.

Most locals that work off the mountain would either commute north to Bris, east to Gold Coast area (as I do), west to Beaudesert or Beenleigh or south to Nerang or Canungra (an army base town). Most employment opportunities on the mountain could be in tourist/hospitality, professional service, public service (retirement villages, schools, medical), farming, small business or trade industries.

House prices did stagnate in 2008/2009 but they are starting to move up again.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
AnneDe

Back