Multiple Skills / Multiple Careers

Well done,i went from Plumbing to a fulltime 24/7 Homedad ten years ago,and i thought plumbing was a hard job:)..willair..

Hi Willair

Did much the same went from plumbing to fulltime dad 5 years ago.(6YO daughter)

We then had a 3 month followed by a 20 month holiday in the UK with
lots of travelling.

For the last 3 years have worked the hours I want to fill in time.

Life doesn't get much better.

Cheers

Pete:)

depends what you are after - late night shelve stacking?

im looking at business avenues to raise extra cash rather than increase servicability.

Yeah any part time job mainly 2-3 nights a week, a few hours each night.

Im pretty keen on anything around where I live.

Went from banking (retail) to investments (trader/dealer) to events management/small business owner (outdoor sports). That's on top of the usual uni jobs.
Now looking at going back to uni to try and get into academia - something that's always appealed but I've had other ambitions first. TAFE teaching is another area that appeals.

How about

Gym instructor> Personal Trainer> Tafe Teacher (fitness)> High School PE Teacher

THen Property developer& Builder

Then Business owner

Now doing a Juris Doctor (professional doctorate in Law) while still business owner and doing property

either before during or after have also worked as

forgot also did nothing and lived off my properties for 18months -3years in before the business bit

truck driver

bobcat/ excavtor driver

forfklift

bus driver

shop fitter

pizza delivery guy

pizza shop manager

servo attendant

electricians ta

Made timber beams in a factory

I'm sure there must be a couple I missed

short attention span or what?

Hi RPI,

Doctor might pay a bit more than Gym Instructor do you think?:) I thought I was bad!

There are some people out there who just have to do everything! :p:D

Regards JO

My goodness - the expense you've outlayed to get this is probably considerable. Hope you can put it to use.

Sure is! Probably about $70-80K all up with everything. I enjoyed it, is a great achievement and I'm proud of myself for managing to do it. Unlike many others, I wasn't living at home and didn't take out any loans to do it. I worked full time, whilst supporting myself and put myself through it. I'm sure most people on this forum will look at that figure and see two IP's for that amount ;) but I don't regret it. I one day do hope to pursue it as a career, however, the reality is, the cost above is only a fraction of what it would cost for me to quit my career, head north and earn peanuts for years as most pilots do initially. Sure, a lot of airline pilots are paid well, but anything up to that pays really bad!!! But still as far as my investing goes, I'm 'only' (that's starting to sound a bit old now actually :eek: ) 32, and have a PPOR and 1 IP so I'm part way to towards my goal of having 3 IP's. :p

Wow, amazing response guys, and i thought i was the only one who wanted to do everything by himself. If i wasn't so lazy, I probably would apply for a builders licence.

For me it was:

Customer Service (Retail) => Call-Centre Outbound (Telemarketing) => Call-Centre Outbound Sales (was on a contract with St. George Bank and was selling credit cards like bread and peanut butter :D 2 years ago?) => Dad => Website Manager w/ Sydney City Council (once again a contract job) => Running a small web des. busines while also studying full-time to be a highschool math teacher.

I considered doing TAFE teaching thing, I even asked my TAFE teacher where i was doing a part-time course in the evenings while doing my full-time job at SCC. She told me I really needed a TAFE Diploma first along with 2-3 years industry experience, and then you would do the adult teaching course... which would lead you into a pool of applicants (plus, they don't get the benefits & pay as school teachers do).

Note: Some of you guys should consider getting a cab drivers licence ;)

For the future, I would like to get myself a short photographers course. Find out how difficult it is to get a REA licence. I would really like to set-up an online business for myself selling some sort of accessories (I have seen quite a few businesses selling their own products online). I could do tutoring but I've had a bad first experience (the kids parents were too annoying). I would really like to do something where I can make good use of my weekends while meeting alot of new people (although, i'm not so great looking guy which is the main reason stopping me from face-to-face sales).

BTW, i'm 21 years old atm. I plan to own 3 properties here in australia and 1 overseas for me to live in by the age of 30

Hi Belu

There was a job advertised last weekend for a outback town - $105,000, new house - no rent, water or electricity. Probably a car for personal use also. (3 hours from Kalgoorlie).

Wow, there certainly is a lot of talent here.

I'm qualified as an architect and lawyer, run a town planning consultancy, have done a mediation course and, more recently, a property development course through UDIA. I also have qualifications in social planning and environmental law.

Before my Uni days I was a tram conductor in Melbourne, (when that job still existed) and before that I was a video tape operator at Channel 7 in Melbourne and my job (it was 1975) was to play all the ads for either day or night shift on a giant video cartridge machine that filled a room but its "intellect" could now fit on a USB stick !!!

Back