Music

Have you ever burnt a CD, copied a tape or downloaded music from the net?

• Of course, hasn't 99% of the population

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Never, i couldn't sleep at night.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Further to the current thread about downloading music. I'd like to open a poll to determine whether anyone has copied a CD, tape or downloaded music.

I can only imagine the people who voted 'never' are quite old. I'm sure the results would be very different if limited to 15-35 year olds.

Thats why i included tapes & CD's. Oh and btw: Don't worry people, its an anonymous poll, the copyright police wont come knocking on your door at 3 in the morning to take your first born. ;)

The 2 people who answered no.... do you like and buy music ? if you don't then it probably has little to with it being illegal or not

Heh heh. :D

I was led astray by my dad. In the late 60's we were one of the first amongst relo's and friends to have a radio cassette recorder. Dad picked it up duty free in Singapore (very rare in Aus at the time and even more expensive) and we would remain silent in front of the black and white TV whilst the mike (with a cord) was set up near the speaker to record Elvis :)

We have progressed somewhat with all the media transfer options today.

I love it Michael..

puts another dimension to the old waiting with fingers hovering over the record and play button on the radio cassette deck waiting for a song to start and hope the dj wouldnt ruin it by talking over it...

I still remember doing 'high-speed' dubbing on my dual cassette deck at age 12, and how funny that sounded while copying a tape in half the time.

These days I get all my music needs from http://alldj.org or if I want to hear single tracks while I'm on the net, I have no trouble finding them in YouTube. In fact probably 90% of my total YouTube use is just for listening to music.

I did copy tapes when I was younger and I admit I did download some songs from the net when I first got on not realising it was illegal (very naive). Haven't since then though and won't as I don't believe in stealing no matter how minor the offence.

Further to the current thread about downloading music. I'd like to open a poll to determine whether anyone has copied a CD, tape or downloaded music.
There are not enough options in your poll.
I also doubt that the 99% of people have done it as you're suggesting in your first option.

Some people do burn CD's and do copy their legally bought CD's or convert them to Mp3's.
I see nothing wrong with that.

Me neither, I am totally against theft.

I just don't consider duplication to be theft.

Do you mean duplication in terms of putting your cd's onto an mp3 player? If so, nope I don't believe that's theft either as you've paid for the cd. If you mean duplicating a cd so that you have one copy for home and one for in the car, then to me that's ok too. If you mean duplicating a cd to give a copy to a friend, then to me that's not okay.

All just my opinion though. I know that I could probably get away with it, but I choose not too as I don't live well with guilt, and I would feel guilty about that.

Do you mean duplication in terms of putting your cd's onto an mp3 player? If so, nope I don't believe that's theft either as you've paid for the cd. If you mean duplicating a cd so that you have one copy for home and one for in the car, then to me that's ok too. If you mean duplicating a cd to give a copy to a friend, then to me that's not okay.
All just my opinion though. I know that I could probably get away with it, but I choose not too as I don't live well with guilt, and I would feel guilty about that.

What if it's for a mate's car ?

No, I mean when you download or upload, the 1's and 0's on one computer are duplicated onto another, having absolutely no effect whatsoever on the original 1's and 0's.

Then your definition of theft is based on 'what makes me feel guilty' as opposed to 'what's legal'?

Alex, to a point at least, I beleive that I do.

In the very very large majority of cases, the two coincide, I call this human common sense in acton.

I find it interesting that people's levels of ethicalness has different degrees determined by whats convenient to them. Quite funny actually.

It is either illegal or it isn't. The copyright police will not bother with a million different moral permutations depending on your own world view when the come and get you.

I find it interesting that people's levels of ethicalness has different degrees determined by whats convenient to them. Quite funny actually.

It is either illegal or it isn't. The copyright police will not bother with a million different moral permutations depending on your own world view when the come and get you.

But legally I'm allowed to have a backup copy of each and everyone of my cd's. So if I keep a copied version of each in my car, then that's my backup copy. Do you disagree?

So if I keep a copied version of each in my car, then that's my backup copy. Do you disagree?

I think it's only considered a backup if you don't use it. A backup's sole purpose is to restore a 'primary' copy (the ONE that you use) in the event that the primary copy is damaged or lost, etc.

Nothing funny about it, I try to live by the 'do unto others as you would have them do to you'. Serves me well and keeps my conscience clear. Obviously others on this forum live by the 'do unto others whatever it takes for me to succeed and screw everyone else'. If that's what works for you and you can live with that, that's your decision.

Back