My agent re-negotiate the rent with the tenant without letting me know

Hi,

This is my first IP. It has been rent out for 10 months. The contract will end in 2 months. I sent an email to ask my agent to increase the rent by 15$ after I did some research of the current rent market around the suburb. But my agent replied that he already sent the notice to 10$ increase to tenant.

Is that normal that the agent re-negotiate the rent without landlord's awareness?

Thank you:confused:

Would be something that is agreed between the owner and prop man, not normally the tenant and prop man.

Our office would send out a form for the owner to complete that has our recomendation on it but has a section for the owner to complete the rent increase amount and sign off on and return. If there was a large difference between the prop man recomendation and the owner then this would be discussed with the owner and a final figure agreed apon.

Hi,

This is my first IP. It has been rent out for 10 months. The contract will end in 2 months. I sent an email to ask my agent to increase the rent by 15$ after I did some research of the current rent market around the suburb. But my agent replied that he already sent the notice to 10$ increase to tenant.

Is that normal that the agent re-negotiate the rent without landlord's awareness?

Thank you:confused:

It appears that you have a pro-active agent.

A good agent will regularly increase the rent on a property, but they will let you know about it. My ones in Sydney will phone me, then send a letter to both myself and the tenants, so that we all know what is happening. Many times they don't get a chance to call me, as I keep an eye on the market and will call the agent to increase the rent ASAP.

A lazy agent will usually let the tenants roll over continually, allowing the rent to get very much below market value. Of course, there are other things that they won't do as well, but we won't go into that now.

I would be happy with the increase, but ask if, in future, they keep you in the loop and ask for your feedback. This way you can check to see if the rental amount is what you feel it should be, and if there are discrepancies you can discuss it.

the property manger usually consults the landlord 1st. the pm is usually paid a % and a relet fee so it is in their interests to do a rent review promptly and according to market rates.
regards.

Thank you for your advice

Thank you, skater and other repliers.

It appears that you have a pro-active agent.
I would be happy with the increase, but ask if, in future, they keep you in the loop and ask for your feedback. This way you can check to see if the rental amount is what you feel it should be, and if there are discrepancies you can discuss it.

I'll take it. Cheers.

Back