My completed Kitchen Renovation

Hi guys,

I started a thread here a few months ago, asking for some advice on what to do with a kitchen that I thought unusable. Many said to paint, but I was reluctant.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up buying a can of primer after being stuffed around by a few kitchen companies, and the rest is history.

So finally after 5 months of owning this home I've finished the renovation to the kitchen and rear room. Damn it's taken a long time. But I've mainly only been working on weekends (with the exception of the last 2 weeks where I decided to work every night from 7:30pm to 11:30'ish), and even then, the majority was done alone.

Also spent alot of time in the garden fixing things up. Removing tree's, pruning, etc. Had so much to do. Still do.

So here's the evolution of my new kitchen and back room.
(please excuse the camera phone photos, and the lack of "during painting" photos)

Very happy at the moment. I feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. What once was a very dark and dirty kitchen (I didn't even want to put plates inside the damn cupboards), is now something clean that I will happily use, that I'm proud of.

The change list went something like this:
- Kitchen cabinet doors removed, sanded, primed and repainted
- Kitchen cabinet interiors sanded, sealed, primed and painted
- Ceiling rose gap fixed
- Ceilings painted
- All walls and trim painted (kitchen and back area)
- Found new cabinet handles on ebay
- Picked up new cabinet handles
- Installed new cabinet handles
- Stove removed
- Dishwasher removed
- 50 year old grease that found its way down behind the stove cleaned up
- Holes in floor under dishwasher sealed up
- Old lino taken up
- Left over lino + glue removed painstakingly with tiny steamer and paint scraper
- All walls repainted as I didn't like the colour I had painted them
- New vinyl floor laid today.

Sink/Stove Area
crw6968800webmv7.jpg

photo0005mediumti9.jpg

photo0008mediumil9.jpg

crw7546800webis5.jpg

crw7559800webcw3.jpg

More Kitchen Cabinets
crw7549800webgm7.jpg

crw7556800webih3.jpg

...and now I have to start the next project. The laundry. *sigh* It needs a lot of work...

I also might paint those tiles in the kitchen...

Anyway, total spend including floor was close to $2.5k. :)

Much cheaper than a whole new kitchen, possibly more fulfilling too.

That looks much fresher, cleaner and inviting.

From memory, this kitchen is only going to last until you do a major reno or rebuild (or am I thinking of another kitchen?).

I would definitely either paint the backsplash tiles or tile straight over them.

Well done. It is a nice feeling turning a sows ear into a silk purse.

That looks much fresher, cleaner and inviting.

From memory, this kitchen is only going to last until you do a major reno or rebuild (or am I thinking of another kitchen?).

I would definitely either paint the backsplash tiles or tile straight over them.

Well done. It is a nice feeling turning a sows ear into a silk purse.

Hi wylie,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, same kitchen :).

I didn't know you could retile over the top of the tiles. That's actually a really good idea.

Wow, what a transformation. Looks fantastic. And only $2500. I imagine your reno has added about $10K to the value of the house.:)

Well Done!

Thank you for your post and photos. I posted a concern recently about painting wooden kitchen cupboards and it is fantastic to see such great results. It certainly gives me the confidence now to try the same. Can I ask if you had to buy a particular type of paint?

Another money-saving suggestion which I think looks great; I used a "stainless-steel-look laminate" for a splashback. It's very easy to keep clean and durable, and doesn't scratch as readily as real stainless. I think you could quite easily get a piece cut to exactly cover the tiles, and glue it on. Voila!

http://www.abetlaminati.com/Products.aspx?c=3&s=55

Thank you for your post and photos. I posted a concern recently about painting wooden kitchen cupboards and it is fantastic to see such great results. It certainly gives me the confidence now to try the same. Can I ask if you had to buy a particular type of paint?

No special type of paint.

I did buy a belt sander though.

Sanded the doors first, then used an oil based primer, followed by an oil based gloss (2 coats of gloss).

I did the same to the insides of the cabinets as they weren't melamine, but just plain wood, previously covered in unsightly old contact (exercise book stuff). Turned out a lot better than I expected.

Another money-saving suggestion which I think looks great; I used a "stainless-steel-look laminate" for a splashback. It's very easy to keep clean and durable, and doesn't scratch as readily as real stainless. I think you could quite easily get a piece cut to exactly cover the tiles, and glue it on. Voila!

That sounds like a really good plan. I did go to my local Bunnings looking for some type of laminate. But I couldn't find any.

Do you know who the Australian distributor for that laminate is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozperp

That sounds like a really good plan. I did go to my local Bunnings looking for some type of laminate. But I couldn't find any.

Do you know who the Australian distributor for that laminate is?

Nearly every brand has some good-looking metallics; this just happened to be the one that I liked - there are cheaper and more expensive brands (Abet is mid-priced). Look in the Yellow Pages under the category "Laminates &/or Laminated Panels" in your area.

Back