My deeply unfashionable 'new' dunny

The tail end of 'the reno I didn't want to start':

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99425

So much more interesting than a bog standard white dunny.

Wait till you see the basin when I install it.

I got the cistern, pan, basin with porcelain taps and matching shower set for $200. And the bloke selling them was in the same suburb. The day I found that complete 60s bathroom set on eBay practically within walking distance from home was the day I thought, 'Hey, maybe there is a God.'

He's a builder and come across those sets occasionally. If he can get the toilet pan out in one intact, he salvages the lot. If the toilet pan breaks, he tosses it all.

Scott

Attachments

• Green dunny.jpg
    Green dunny.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 333
Depreciator, I am disappointed. where's the water saving device? (I assume that you have already put a brick in the cistern and changed the filler to the quiet fill system).

BTW pretty green. You know you're soaking in it! ;)

No water saving device in that dunny. The only thing green about it is the colour.
I was surprised all the seals were okay and everything worked. It must have sat in the builders shed for a while before I picked it up and then it sat in mine for a few months.

Love it! One thing I like is a toilet that flushes! I've left the 1960's one in my apartment, too. Also like the colour.
Speaking of colour, the green floor looks so much more muted in the other photo with all the furniture in there. Looks great.

Yep, when it comes to flushing, that dunny doesn't muck around.
Thankfully some furniture and some rugs toned down that big green floor in the adjacent building.

Your thread title is right... it is "deeply unfashionable" :D.

I don't mind the retro colour and styling, but I would hate to have to look at the S bend and the rubber seals every time I was in that room. Now I've changed from my toilet with visible S bend etc, I love the ease of cleaning a back to wall loo.

When that room needs cleaning, it will be done with a hose and a broom.

Looks like you'll be doing a lot more sitting on this one too.

Sadly I probably won't be spending much time in this bathroom - not till I retire, anyway. Before I did the reno, I reckon it would have been well over year since I had stepped foot in that old bathroom out the back. I'm looking forward to the day when I take back that shed and dunny.

So I needed a dunny roll holder. And I had some old plumbing bits from when I stripped out the original bathroom. Clearly, I also had a bit too much time on my hands. Looks good with the old dunny, though. I'm on a roll now, so I'll use some other bits to make a rail for the shower.

Attachments

• Dunny roll holder.jpg
    Dunny roll holder.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 114
  • dunny roll holder 2.jpg
    dunny roll holder 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 104
Depreciator, I am disappointed. where's the water saving device? (I assume that you have already put a brick in the cistern and changed the filler to the quiet fill system).

BTW pretty green. You know you're soaking in it! ;)

Have the same colour except cistern is hard plastic and have two bricks inside.
Mine 1969 vintage.

Can't believe I just saw this...

You and your green!! I do like your style though, and am a fan of your toilet roll holder (never thought I'd say that...). Any updates?

No bricks in the cistern, nww. It's like Niagara Falls when it flushes. But I don't have a pool and I have never washed my car, so I'm unrepentant about that dunny out the back using a bit too much water. There are three other dunnies to choose from that have the half flush option.

Lil Skater, I'm thinking about having a blitz this weekend and getting that bathroom 100% finished. It's so very close. I might even use it occasionally when it's done. Before I did the reno, I hadn't even stepped foot in that room for over a year.

I'm glad you clarified that there's more than one loo, or I'd be concerned that you hadn't been into the bathroom in over a year!

You'll have to share the photos once it's all finished off. Love a good reno and yours are always so "funky" (in a good way).

690 views so far, probably about 250 - 500 unique and about 5 people have said they like it.

I'm sorry, call me conservative or whatever, but it's not to my taste. :eek:

Ah, but Peter, not many people have said they don't like it. It has faired much better in that respect than the DIY lime green kitchen I did years ago. People (including my mother) said some very unkind things about that one.

This other DIY bathroom I did in the house a couple of years ago might be more to your taste. It's a bit too nice for me.

Attachments

• bath 3 (2).jpg
    bath 3 (2).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 99
  • bath 5 (2).jpg
    bath 5 (2).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 78
Back