My first attempt at renovating…

Hi all,

I’ve just finished renovating my 2nd IP and thought I’d post some details and photos. I purchased the property in February this year and settled in May. The plan was to use the FHOG and declare it as a PPOR, which gave me 6 months to complete the renovation before renting it out. I work a full time day job Monday to Friday and only had the weekends to renovate, so I figured (hoped!) 6 months would be enough time. Luckily I finished the job with 1 week to spare :)

I did most of the work myself (with the help of mum and dad ;)) except for sanding/polishing timber floors, installation of blinds and some plumbing work.

Here are the details:

Purchase price: $269,000
Renovation costs: just under $8,000
Holding costs (rates, water, interest, etc): roughly $10,500

The property was rented at $180 p.w. when I bought it. I had 4 property managers give me a rental appraisal 3 weeks ago ranging between $275 - $370p.w. I suggest you shop around when it comes to PMs and don’t just go with the highest appraisal, because some over-quote. The house is now advertised for rent at $320 p.w. and I have already received 1 rental application in the first week. It’s amazing how much rents have increased the past 6 months. Back then I estimated the property renting for $230 p.w. once renovations were complete. So I’m quite stoked at $320 p.w :)

Property prices in the area have also risen some 30% in the past 6-12 months. I purchased just after things started heating up and was lucky for picking this up so cheaply. Competition was and still is quite fierce in the area. The house 2 doors down sold for $435k two months ago. It too was fully renovated, although the owners did a bit of a rush job and its looks quite tacky. Another ugly brick house sold down the end of my street, on the corner of a busy main road for $400k two weeks ago. Oh, and just last weekend the exact same style house as mine on same size block about 100m from mine sold for $450k! It had an older kitchen but had a separate dining room which mine doesn’t. Going by recent sales, I would estimate mine to now be worth $400-450k.

Here is a list of work that was done:

* Rip out old carpets, blinds, junk, etc

* Cut down the huge pine tree in the front yard and also the rest of the jungle in the front/rear yard. I couldn’t believe how much junk there was. I don’t think the previous tenants ever cleaned/maintained the yard or the inside for that matter!

* Replaced some rotten weatherboards and completely painted the outside top to bottom.

* Completely painted the interior top to bottom

* Kitchen, laundry, toilet and rear corridor floor has been newly tiled. Boy was this a pain in the rear! I will never tile again. Although it came out looking very good. Hehe.

* New Holland roller blinds fitted

* Existing hardwood timber floors in lounge, 3 bedrooms and corridor were sanded and polished

* New toilet fitted

* New upright gas stove/oven installed

* New laminate bench tops in kitchen and bathroom

* New basin in bathroom

* New taps in kitchen and bathroom

* Kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors painted with White Knight paint. Kitchen splashback tiles also painted with White Knight. I was impressed with the results – it looks like a new kitchen now. I used a roller for the doors however used a brush for the tiles. You can see some steak marks on the tiles. I probably should have used a roller!

* New internal doors and chrome handles fitted

* Make and install new doors for the built-in-robes in Bedroom #2

* New exhaust fans fitted.

* Re-point parts of the roof

* Landscaped gardens front and back.

There were a few other bits and pieces but I won’t go into the finer details.

Ok, here are some before shots:

Front of the house and lounge room

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 206
  • photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 174
  • photo15.jpg
    photo15.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 158
2 of the bedrooms

Attachments

• photo16.jpg
    photo16.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 122
  • photo18.jpg
    photo18.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 117
  • photo19.jpg
    photo19.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 127
The bathroom and one of the bedrooms

Attachments

• photo22.jpg
    photo22.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 120
  • photo25.jpg
    photo25.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 124
  • photo28.jpg
    photo28.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 94
The kitchen

Attachments

• photo29.jpg
    photo29.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 124
  • photo32.jpg
    photo32.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 149
  • photo34.jpg
    photo34.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 87
The backyard!

Attachments

• photo40.jpg
    photo40.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 109
  • photo41.jpg
    photo41.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 98
  • photo42.jpg
    photo42.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 104
And now the after shots :)

The front.

Attachments

• photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 158
  • photo12.JPG
    photo12.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 123
  • photo13.JPG
    photo13.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 126
The backyard and lounge room.

Attachments

• photo24.JPG
    photo24.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 121
  • photo29.JPG
    photo29.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 125
  • photo35.JPG
    photo35.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 161
Bedroom and hallway.

Attachments

• photo40.JPG
    photo40.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 121
  • photo43.JPG
    photo43.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 111
  • photo48.JPG
    photo48.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 129
Another bedroom and the bathroom.

Attachments

• photo52.JPG
    photo52.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 121
  • photo55.JPG
    photo55.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 111
  • photo66.JPG
    photo66.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 167
And finally the kitchen.

Attachments

• photo72.JPG
    photo72.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 99
  • photo75.JPG
    photo75.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 124
  • photo78.JPG
    photo78.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 173
So how do I feel about renovating now? Well I’m glad I got in there and had a go. I’ve learnt so much and have had some fun along the way. However, I wouldn’t do it again unless I wasn’t working full-time. It just takes too much out of you. Now I can get some sleep on the weekends, instead of waking up at 5am and working till 6-7pm. I would tackle a renovation again, but next time I would just project manage and get tradesman to do the work for me. Financially this project has been profitable, but one thing I regret is the opportunity cost which I have missed. Because I’ve been so busy the past 6 months, I haven’t had time to look for further properties. I could have easily bought another property back then, something already renovated and still end up with an additional 30% in equity under my belt. Ah well, should-a could-a would-a.

Sorry if I’ve bored you all. Anyway, time to shop for IP #3 now :)

Cheers,
Ozi

great stuff . Good to see it has worked out well for you. Im so NEARLY finished our renovation. Certainly takes it out of you working 5 days then renovating on weekends doesnt it. Im buggered, lol. One gable left to sand and paint and a bit of landscaping and its complete.

Your pics show a huge improvment as do the rental fingures expected. Good jump in rent for you.

Congrats

cheers Jas!

Mammoth effort there Ozi...you cleaned up the place nicely and deserve that great increase in rent. Hard work for a good profit.:D

Looks great! Well done :D
I am in the process of doing the same thing (using FHOG) but I have to hold mine for a year due to the stamp duty exemption thing - it must be different in VIC. The kitchen looks great, the white knight paint really came out well. I'm going to use it in my bathroom. If you don't mind telling, what suburb is your property in? I am looking at Melbourne at the moment for possibly me 2nd IP.

Anyway, great work!
Michelle.

Hi again,

Thanks for the kind words. Its great to have my weekends back again. Now I can have a social life! :D I must say though, I'm going to miss Bunnings. I grew quite fond of that place hehe :D

Jas, hang in there you are almost done. Its well worth the effort and you will be relieved once it is complete.

Michelle, the property is in West Footscray in Melbourne's west, about 8km from the CBD. Where are you looking to buy? I'm not sure what the stamp duty requirements are where you are from, but I don't know of any 12 month requirement in VIC. When I purchased, I had the option of receiving the FHOG of $10k or a stamp duty reduction, which was about $6k from memory. It was one or the other, not both. Maybe check with your solicitor/conveyancer.

Cheers,
Ozi

Well done Ozi,

Great effort and great results!

I'm with you on the project management versus doing the work yourself thing - the savings you get by not having to pay someone else is overshadowed by the loss of developing and managing other projects. Also, the tradies do it much, much faster than I can so there is more money to be gained by getting it on the market faster. But this is a lesson my partner and I had to learn by doing it too, so we have come to same conclusion as you. And now we can speak to the tradies knowing the traps and tricks!

Lindy

(PS did you shop at Flatmans Timber (Home Hardware) too or just Bunnings?)

Hi Lindy,

You definately learn more doing it yourself. This will come in handy the next time it comes to renovating as you know what work is involved.

I did most of my shoppings at Bunnings. It was easier that way as everything is under the one roof :cool: I did buy some timber from Home Hardware. I found them to be more expensive than Bunnings. All my paints were bought from Paint Spot. Most other items were sourced off eBay and the Trading Post.

Cheers,
Ozi

You are very right Ozi. I will be VERY relieved when she is finished, lol. I'll do a similar post to yours in a few weeks time (just before xmas id say) with some before and after pics for people to see. Just hope it looks nice to others like I think it does, hehehe.

I know what you mean about bunnings. Even pop in when I dont have anything to buy and still walk out with SOMETHING ;) Gee I just wish they would have more floor staff at that place. I get dizzy walking around all the isles trying to find someone to help me with a question etc. But there is always the girl at the front door to say "hi" and Im thinking go bloody serve someone will ya :D

cheers Jas!

Back