My first attempt at renovating…

Hi Ozi

Great Job! Pat on the back! Excellant!

Looks 100% now, I am glad the figures got better from start to finish.

It's very satisfying (God I am having trouble spelling to day - must be the lead paint hehehe) doing it your self the 1st time etc. and then you weed out the jobs you do not like and call a tradie, if you can get one. I hope it's better in Melb. than Perth.

Anyway, great work.:D

Hi Ozi,
Top job. I noticed you used White Knight tile paint during your reno. How did it go? Any tips? Is it any good for floors? If not, have you heard of anything that might do the job on floors? Too many questions..?
Cheers,
Fred

Thanks again!

Jas, i look forward to seeing your before/after shots. If you are planning to rent your property out, just note that things slow down over Christmas and people don't really like moving then. So if that is the case it may be a good idea to start advertising early, even though it isn't complete.

As for Bunnings, I know what you mean about the lack of staff. They are a great bunch of people though. Towards the end they even started throwing in freebies, i.e. buy 12 door handles and only pay for 10 :D

Celeste, I think next time I'll stick to project managing only. I just don't have the time to do it myself. I didn't mind painting but the prep work takes forever. I'm glad I didn't attempt doing the floors myself. For $1150 I had the pros come in (4 people) and do the job in 2.5 days. And it looks like hard work, not to mention all the dust and fumes they inhale. Oh and don't get me started on plumbing! I had some great fun installing the toilet and bathroom basin/taps :mad:

Cheers,
Ozi

Hi Ozi,
Top job. I noticed you used White Knight tile paint during your reno. How did it go? Any tips? Is it any good for floors? If not, have you heard of anything that might do the job on floors? Too many questions..?
Cheers,
Fred

Hi Fred,

I only use White Knight on the kitchen/bathroom laminate doors/carcasses and kitchen splashback tiles. I didn't do the doors and from what I've been told, it isn't adviseable. It should only be used on verticle surfaces. It isn't really suitable for floors. My advice to you is spend a lot of time preparing the surface and ensure it is 100% clean before painting. Use the Tile/Laminate cleaner, then apply one coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. You can lightly dry sand any areas which collect dusk/bugs/etc using wet/dry 600 grit sandpaper. The White Knight rep advised me to wait 24 hours before each coat. He said you shouldn't wait longer than a day between coat, because once the paint sets it won't bond as well when you apply the next coat. So make sure you allow 3 consecutive days to paint.

As mentioned, I used a brush for the tiles which left streak marks. Next time I would probably only do the grout lines and edges with a brush and then go over the tiles with a roller.

Good luck.

Ozi

Looks fantastic Ozi!! Amazing work!

What colour paint did you end up choosing for the inside walls? Unbelievalbe what a fresh coat of paint can do to a place - it looks entirely different!! I love the floorboards as well, the shine goes so perfectly with the fresh paint.

Where to next? ;)

Cheers,
Jen

Hi Jen,

Glad you like it. Thanks!

For the internal walls, the colours I went with were:

* Ceiling: ceiling white (flat)
* Walls: Antique White USA (low sheen)
* Architraves, skirting boards, doors: Antique White USA (satin)

The external colours used were:

* Weatherboards: Hog Bristle (low sheen)
* Gutters, windows, doors, trim: Self Destruct (satin)

I used Solver paints for everything, but selected Dulux colours.

Cheers,
Ozi

Oh, yes - we got a trade card from Paint Spot. they were cheaper than Bunnies!

Lindy

Yes, me too. Great prices. I have a trade card for Bunnings too. Its a bit of a gimmick though. You sometimes spend $200 and get a discount of $1. hehe. I guess every dollar counts :D

Ozi

Back