My first CIP

I have just exchanged on my first CIP this week so I thought that I would take this opportunity to share some details about the process to this stage, and also the steps and developments to completion (and beyond). I have no experience in CIP previously and am actually fairly inexperienced when it comes to RIP even, so this is definitely an example of just jumping in and learning from doing. What I did have was access to some amazing stories on this forum of other people's experience, these were absolute invaluable and I can't thank those posters enough for their generosity in sharing their experience. Therefore, I thought that it's only fair if I do the same thing, plus this would be an opportunity for other more experienced posters to point out anything that may have missed/overlooked as the deal progress to completion. Additionally, I'm hoping to be able to replicate this with bigger CIP deals in the future, so documenting this first CIP deal will hopefully be a good learning experience for me as well.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I'm sure you would rather hear about the CIP itself.

Property
- CBD of a regional town (50k population)
- Sub 500k price
- Simple building, with a reception area, offices, kitchen + bathroom facilities at the front and an old tin shed at the back
- Currently occupied by a electrician business that has been there for the past 20 years

Vendor's situation
- Currently a partner in the business but is looking to retire in 3 years
- As part of the sale, vendor has offered that the business lease back the CIP for 3 years to coincide with the vendor's retirement

Lease
There is no formal lease currently in place, therefore, the lease and lease conditions were all negotiable as part of the sale (lease to come into effect on Settlement date). After a fair bit of negotiation (more details to come), these were the terms that were agreed to.
- 3 years term with option of 3 years
- Just under 10% yield (rent is about market from talking to other agents in town)
- Tenants pay all outgoings except for land tax
- 4% fixed annual increase, with market review at option renewal (rachet clause)
- Make good if tenants vacate, including repainting and re-carpeting
- No director's guarantee but cash deposit in my bank account of 4 months rent

The good thing about this is that I was able to draft the lease myself to present to the vendor, so it was good to actually get into the nitty gritty details of a lease. Admittedly, I'm sure I won't appreciate all the finer details until an issue arises, but was definitely good experience in any case.

Negotiation
The negotiation was very painful to say the least. Mostly due to the vendor having the most incompetent lawyer I have ever come across. My understanding is that the vendor and family has used this lawyer for years, so the lawyer was definitely doing everything he can to protect the vendor's interests, however, his lack of commercial sense just made things way more difficult than it should have been.

Some examples:
- After agreeing with the vendor on paper the commercial terms (or so I thought), the solicitor tells the vendor that a cash deposit is not usual in a commercial lease and shouldn't be given. Eventually, I did get the cash deposit, but settled for 4 months rather than the 6 that I initially asked for.
- Solicitor takes 2 weeks to prepare sale contract, contract then doesn't include the subject to finance and B&P inspection that was agreed to. Reason given by solicitor was that he didn't think these conditions were reasonable (notwithstanding that the principals already agreed to them). This took 2 weeks to sort out, with net result that principals once again agreed that these conditions need to be added to contract.
- Solicitor then takes another 2 weeks to prepare revised contract, contract did fix minor points but once again didn't have these conditions. My solicitor at this stage was extremely fed up so we manually made changes to the contract, signed it and gave the vendor an ultimatum to exchange within 24 hours and to tell their solicitor to pull his head in or we would walk away
- Solicitor also refused to deal with me directly and would only liaise with my solicitor
- Solicitor does not like to operate with emails or even to get on the phone, all correspondence with my solicitor was through fax

Contract eventually settled, a month after it should have, but surprisingly, the vendor's solicitor had no issue at all with the lease that we gave them. Big plus for us as it was drafted to be quite landlord friendly.

Now I just need to get the finance organised and hopefully proceed to completion with not too many issues (knock wood). If you made it to the end, thanks for reading and I'm happy to answer any questions if people have them.

Hi

Congrats. Commercial is very different from resi. I love the not hearing from tenants and the longer term leases.

thanks for sharing

D

Good stuff! Congrats on the deal and pushing your way through the incompetence. Did the lender need a heads of agreement/lease term from the seller to fund it?

I have 1 CIP in my SMSF... used to be my office before I needed more space. New tenant moved in and wanted the fitout so it was left behind. Then calls the agent and wants me to pay to have some of the fitout removed as its superfluous. I give permission for them to dispose of what they dont want as its written down to $0 value. Tenant contacts agent again requesting that I pay to have what they dont want taken away... no way buddy, you took it as is and assumed responsibility for fitout, and reminded them its not a resi lease where the landlord comes running every time they need something. Havent heard from them since!

Thanks all.

Dave, the lease is attached to the sale contract and entry into the lease is a condition to the contract, the vendor also needs to give me their signed counterpart prior to settlement. My understanding is that this should be sufficient for finance, but Aaron will let me know if it's not I guess.

Alex, best case scenario is that his current partner will buy the vendor out and continue on with the business and take up the option. From what the agent tells me (taken with a grain of salt of course) there is no indication that they will move, but they just wanted the 3 year lease term so that it's a clean break at that time, and it doesn't lock the remaining partner in. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll renew as it's a decent location and they've been there for 20 years already. However, if they don't and the property stays vacant for 6-12 months, I will be OK as well, and crunching the numbers will still come out cashflow wise in front of a RIP with 7% gross yield.

The other thing that I didn't mention about the lease is that the option take-up notice is due 6 months before the end of the term to give me some notice to build a buffer in case of vacancy, and there is also deemed renewal if the tenant doesn't give any notice. As with most CIP, the main risk to me is tenant departing and the property being vacant, however, I think I've minimised it here as much as I can and the attractive numbers to me makes the risk worthwhile.

Congratulations on your purchase, and well done on negotiating your way through it. Although it would have been painful, I'm sure you learnt a great deal along the way.

All the best.

Congratulations on your purchase, and well done on negotiating your way through it. Although it would have been painful, I'm sure you learnt a great deal along the way.

All the best.

Definitely Jonno, thanks for the kind words. Once the deal goes through it'll be a good boost to my cash flow (roughly 15k a year at 70% LVR) but I'm hoping that what I'll get from the experience of putting it together would be much more valuable going forward.

Congrats Starter. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.
Understand it is CIP and providing a great yield, but can I ask if you expect any Captial Growth on it? (say maybe 3-5 yrs onwards)

Congrats Starter. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.
Understand it is CIP and providing a great yield, but can I ask if you expect any Captial Growth on it? (say maybe 3-5 yrs onwards)

Based on the current cap rate (which I think should actually be lowered when the lease is entered into), I'm expecting CG to reflect the 4% p/a rent increase and whatever else is due to the market review if the option is taken up.

Additionally, I think the particular regional town has good prospects for CG in general. It's a catchment center with a growing population, and the general development plans that I read all talk about a trend for employment and businesses in the area to centralise in the CBD which is where the property is located.

So in short, I am expecting some decent CG in the medium/long term, but at the moment I'm more focussing on the yield as that will reflect the value of the property anyway.

- Currently occupied by a electrician business that has been there for the past 20 years

- Tenants pay all outgoings except for land tax
- 4% fixed annual increase, with market review at option renewal (rachet clause)

Hi, congrats on your research, increased knowledge and purchase.

Just one note about the facts above. You don't state the property is in Vic but just a heads up if it is. Since you aren't getting Land Tax back I assume the lease is subject to the Retail Leases Act 2003. If so, your ratchet clause may not be enforcable as these are prohibited under the act.

Your tenants may not be aware anyway, but just something to keep in mind.

Hi Dazedmw, it's not in Vic and the Retail Leases Act in the relevant state doesn't apply as my solicitor was comfortable with the rachet clause and recovery of PM fees.

The reason why land tax isn't recoverable is purely a commercial and negotiation point and the fact that it doesn't really make much difference given the low price point involved here.

Hi Dazedmw, it's not in Vic and the Retail Leases Act in the relevant state doesn't apply as my solicitor was comfortable with the rachet clause and recovery of PM fees.

The reason why land tax isn't recoverable is purely a commercial and negotiation point and the fact that it doesn't really make much difference given the low price point involved here.

Fair enough then.

If you are based in Vic (from your profile) why the decision to purchase out of state? If you don't mind me asking.

Fair enough then.

If you are based in Vic (from your profile) why the decision to purchase out of state? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm actually based overseas atm for work and just haven't updated my location, so it didn't make much difference where I bought as I would be doing it long distance anyway. Plus already have a couple of resis IP in Melbourne so avoiding land tax is nice.

So I got the building and pest reports back yesterday.

The building report was all good, nothing out of the ordinary for a building of this age.

The pest report, however, showed that there are "severe" termite damage in the internal bathroom/shower area. While there was no indication of live termites at the property, the report has all the usual jazz about how this doesn't mean anything etc. The recommendation was that no immediate action is urgently required but the property should have annual inspections. Also of interest was that there appears to be signs that treatment has been done (chemical residues in the area).

I have enquired with the agent and was told that the damage was already there when he vendor bought the property 20 years ago, however, they have had no issue with it since. I have asked for further information about this, and clarification as to whether there were recent termite treatments done and the reason for them.

Having read through the posts on here regarding termites, it seems to be a fairly common problem and one in which pest reports can sometime go over board with. That said, I really didn't like the word "severe damage" at all. I think the plan from here is to talk to the inspector to get a bit more information about the actual damage and risk, and then to try to use this to negotiate a bit of a discount of the purchase price (not holding my breath though since I had pushed them fairly hard already at this agreed price).

Any advice/things that I may have missed?

So a fair bit has happened over the last month. Quick summary below in roughly chronological order.

• Spoke to inspector about termite damage, he confirmed what the agent said that the damage would have been from a while ago judging by the dust that was found (no longer used as treatment now).
  • Tried to use the report to negotiate a discount but no luck, I think we squeezed the vendors pretty hard initially with the purchase price and they had no interest in moving at all. Also not helping was that a previous purchaser whose contract feel over due to finance was back with finance all sorted waiting for our contract to fall over.
  • After a bit of discussion we decided to still go ahead.
  • Finance was now the focus and was also not proving to be straight forward. With us working overseas, a lot of banks weren't willing to accept our overseas income as all. This was surprising as it was a lot different with resis where the overseas income wasn't really an issue and severly limited our financing options.
  • Aaron worked very hard and managed to secure an finance offer from ANZ (albeit at a bit of a higher rate). However, the offer letter we got had a lot of conditions to it, some of which were clearly not acceptable and inconsistent with what we were trying to do.
  • Luckily, after more hard work from Aaron, we got a much more reasonable offer letter. Issue now is that the financing was still subject to valuation and our 21 business days finance clause was coming to an end. Still not sure why they just didn't the valuation straight away but these commercial loans are a funny beast.
  • Tried getting an extension on the finance clause but vendors once again were not willing to budge at all (probably should have tried to push them on the termite damage issue). Aaron was very confident though that valuation was a formality so with some hesitation we let the finance clause go. We still had just under 3 months till Settlement so did have the safety net of a bit of time to look for another lender if ANZ fell through.
  • Turned up at work today with a nice email from Aaron letting us know that the valuation came through at the purchase price and the bank wanted to know when to book settlement in. So that's finance sorted!
  • Both us and the vendors are actually in a position to settle ASAP, so we will look to do that as soon as ANZ can manage it.
  • In the meantime, I have on my list of things to do signing a management agreement with the PM. I can't see this being a big issue though since we won't be the one paying the fees. Have stressed the the PM though that we expect them to be acting solely in our best interest notwithstanding where their fees are coming from, especially important since PM is also the same agency as selling agent. However, they seem very professional so far so hopefully this won't be an issue.
Looking forward to Settlement now (hopefully without too many hiccups) and being a CIP landlord. The extra cashflow will be very nice but I couldn't help doing some quick figures comparing the result if I had spent the same money on 3 x 200-250k units in the GWS area instead, with the market looking like it's heating up in Sydney I may have been better off sticking with the RIP route in hindsight.

Back