My first kitchen benchtop cut & install-Yeay!

My first Kitchen benchtop cut & install. Woo! Hoo!

A friend is undergoing a complete unit reno for resale and asked if I could install the kitchen. Of course I couldn't say no.

Eden would be proud of me. Thanks for the advice on the jig Eden. Got myself one and it works a treat! If you get too busy I won't say no to work being past my way. lol!

For anyone's interest. Ikea white with sandstone benchtop.

Project 1080

Attachments

• Image0260.jpg
    Image0260.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 589
No Idea twobobsworth. I'm not paying :).

All I know is they've budgeted $14k for complete strip & refit of a 2 bedder in Maylands SA.

Yeh, I thought the splash back looked like large natural stone until I enlarged photo - ahh, the 70's tile glue blob look.

I was actually in Ikea a couple of weeks back. Their kitchen range is a hell of a lot better and more to the Aussie market than it used to be. I queried the warranty on vacuum form panels/doors and was told they still had 25 year warranty :eek: They seem a very thick foil, so may have reasonable longevity but I would never use vacuum form again in any kitchen I was going to hold for more than a few months. As Ikea source things from all around the world I would not like to try and get a door panel replaced (matched) 2 years down the track.

They also have good priced taps which look/feel good quality, can't say I like the design of some though :eek:

Yeh, I thought the splash back looked like large natural stone until I enlarged photo - ahh, the 70's tile glue blob look.

I was actually in Ikea a couple of weeks back. Their kitchen range is a hell of a lot better and more to the Aussie market than it used to be. I queried the warranty on vacuum form panels/doors and was told they still had 25 year warranty :eek: They seem a very thick foil, so may have reasonable longevity but I would never use vacuum form again in any kitchen I was going to hold for more than a few months. As Ikea source things from all around the world I would not like to try and get a door panel replaced (matched) 2 years down the track.

They also have good priced taps which look/feel good quality, can't say I like the design of some though :eek:

Was at Ikea (Rhodes) on weekend, haven't been for a few months ,
the kitchen sections have been increases 200% , they must be making
money out of them to increase so much.

My first Kitchen benchtop cut & install. Woo! Hoo!

A friend is undergoing a complete unit reno for resale and asked if I could install the kitchen. Of course I couldn't say no.

Eden would be proud of me. Thanks for the advice on the jig Eden. Got myself one and it works a treat! If you get too busy I won't say no to work being past my way. lol!

For anyone's interest. Ikea white with sandstone benchtop.

Project 1080

Nice work. I'm always paranoid to cut out the benchtop after hearing of someone cutting out a hole that was a tad too large for the sink.

Cheers

Jamie

Nice work. I'm always paranoid to cut out the benchtop after hearing of someone cutting out a hole that was a tad too large for the sink.

Cheers

Jamie
sink supplied with a vynil template, about a 1inch wide strip, supposed to pin, cut round the inside, stick seal where the template was, drop sink in hole, sealing sink to counter and sealing pinholes
DAAS[sup](1)[/sup] cut round the outside and the sink fell through

[sup](1)[/sup]DAAS: dumb as a stump
allowed to call this idiot an idiot, it's me
second job, much better

Even using a template I double check it, especially if something is porcelain which can vary from item to item. I recently installed a semi recessed bathroom sink - I made up my own template for the caeser stone top which was a much more accurate /neater fit.

You wouldn't be the first person Bob to cut something wrong and abuse yourself afterwards for being a stupid f#%@ing idiot :eek: Unfortunately yours was a pricey mistake. And as for "measure twice cut once", it should be "measure once, get someone else to check, then cut once." Everyone knows you should not proof read your own work :eek:

The last tape measure I bought I made sure its body was a neat 100mm rather than my last one of 88mm to make it easy for adding on the balance after measuring internal dimensions. It is so easy to do now - that I completely forget. I thought someone had lengthened the wall when I wasn't looking like on a Candid Camera, must have measured 3 times before I realised why I could not take a simple measurement. DOH!

sink supplied with a vynil template, about a 1inch wide strip, supposed to pin, cut round the inside, stick seal where the template was, drop sink in hole, sealing sink to counter and sealing pinholes
DAAS[sup](1)[/sup] cut round the outside and the sink fell through

[sup](1)[/sup]DAAS: dumb as a stump
allowed to call this idiot an idiot, it's me
second job, much better
Haha - it happens to the best of us. Did you end up buying a larger sink?

Cheers

Jamie

masons mitre

Well done 1080, or is it mr T

:)

the jig is great and as long as you take time and check twice or thrice all usually goes well (as promised)

flat out as usual and doing the full kitchens almost full time.

did this one this week and had the benchtops supplied and a pile of roughly handled kaboodle (flatpax) boxes with the usual mishmash of whitegoods

this one took sat -4hrs......sun -5hrs......mon -7hrs.....tue -7hrs.....wed -9hrs
32hrs in total

Attachments

• after (480x360) (420x315).jpg
    after (480x360) (420x315).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 187
  • before (480x360).jpg
    before (480x360).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 181
Sorry to take the thread OT slightly, but the IKEA kitchens, what pricing are they in comparison with bunnings does anyone know?

I did a kitchen reno in September 2011. Bunnings was cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars. My main decision in going with Bunnings was that there are LOTS of Bunnings stores near by, lots of stock plus, they are open early and late for last-minute fix-ups.

I did a kitchen reno in September 2011. Bunnings was cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars. My main decision in going with Bunnings was that there are LOTS of Bunnings stores near by, lots of stock plus, they are open early and late for last-minute fix-ups.

Thanks for the reply Vaughan. My kitchen has now been done. We ended up getting the carcus cabinets from masters as they were slightly cheaper than Bunnings. The doors, panels and benchtop we got through my husband's work for cheap.

For a decent size L shaped kitchen we got away with it pretty cheaply. Everything except the appliances came to just shy of $2000.

Thanks for the reply Vaughan. My kitchen has now been done. We ended up getting the carcus cabinets from masters as they were slightly cheaper than Bunnings. The doors, panels and benchtop we got through my husband's work for cheap.

For a decent size L shaped kitchen we got away with it pretty cheaply. Everything except the appliances came to just shy of $2000.

Quite a few places are slightly cheaper than Bunnings. But how many of the "other" places are open till 9:00 pm most nights and have a store in every suburb so you can easily get spare parts if you break something while installing? :D

Quite a few places are slightly cheaper than Bunnings. But how many of the "other" places are open till 9:00 pm most nights and have a store in every suburb so you can easily get spare parts if you break something while installing? :D

Fair call. There's a Masters about 15 mins from me so had no issues there. Not too sure how the Bunnings Flatpax are but I found with the Masters cabinets that some of the pre-drilled holes didn't line up or a couple of bits didn't go together so well in the sense that it didn't sit flush. Other than that though everything else went smoothly.

Ikea is a lill more flimsy than others so if using major outlets bunnings and stratco have a similar product to each other and its just my opinion that they are alot stronger and robust than Ikea ( i wont install Ikea as i have to sleep at night) especially when it comes to rentals or young families,

and bunnings is like "big w" or "Kmart" IF YOU HAVE YOUR RECEIPT ,,, NO PROBLEM

THE CABINET BACKS ARE MASONITE WITH TWO METAL LUGS THAT WILL RARELY FIND WALL STUDS WITH IKEA. THE SCREWS ARE CRAPPY AND BREAK UNDER LOAD. TAKE A PIECE OF CARCASS (DRAIN PIPE HOLE OR THE LIKE) AND DROP IT IN WATER OVERNIGHT ( YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND LESS )

Back