My Garage/Granny flat conversion Quote

Hi Everyone
Out of interest, thought I would share my pricing for conversion of a garage/studio to a 2 bedroom granny flat. This property is in West Sydney. When I purchased this property it basically had a garage at rear where it had been converted to include a studio, and toilet/bathroom which their teenage son used/lived in.

I have had difficulties getting builders to quote this, the market must be way too hot, no one interested in a small job. This quote does not include Council, certification, drawing/designing fees, which I am guessing tack an additional $10,000.

Potentially should be able to rent this out for $320-350 pw.

Also, this is a licensed builder who has come highly recommended and has completed many similar builds.

I will still be seeking further quotes to compare

DESCRIPTION OF WORK.
Remove kitchenette, & wall between proposed dining room & living room
Construct dividing walls, incl flush hollowcore redicote doorways
Supply & install 2 built ins with white sliding doors & basic internals
Suspend ceiling to 2.4m off FFL, with 55mm cove cornice
Add in 3x windows and false reveal them with architraves
Supply & install a basic laminate kitchenette, includes plumbing & electrical as required
Upgrade electrical with 1x GPO & bayonet light in each room
Remove the garage door and install an aluminium sliding door with a screen
Install laminated floating floor or carpet in all rooms
Install a watertank to meet Basix requirements
Paint all internal walls, ceiling, doors & trims with 2x coats of white acrylic paint
No appliances have been allowed for however we can provide these
2.4 lineal metres of 6 foot treated pine fencing to divide properties
Note: Bathroom is to stay as is, nothing has been allowed in this room (apart from painting)
Remove all rubbish from site & clean up
cannot guarantee this price
SUB-TOTAL $35,000.00
G.S.T. $3,500.00

TOTAL $38,500.00
.Note: There was no window drawn in the back left bedroom so I allowed for one
Note: Quote does not include upgrading powerbox, this will need to be inspected
Note: Quote does not include waterproofing of the slab
Note: Quote includes rubbish removal
Note: Quote does not include painting or staining unless noted
Note: Quote does not include asbestos removal unless noted

Last edited:
DESCRIPTION OF WORK.
1. Remove kitchenette, & wall between proposed dining room & living room
2. Construct dividing walls, incl flush hollowcore redicote doorways
3. Supply & install 2 built ins with white sliding doors & basic internals
4. Suspend ceiling to 2.4m off FFL, with 55mm cove cornice
5. Add in 3x windows and false reveal them with architraves
6. Supply & install a basic laminate kitchenette, includes plumbing & electrical as required
7. Upgrade electrical with 1x GPO & bayonet light in each room
8. Remove the garage door and install an aluminium sliding door with a screen
9. Install laminated floating floor or carpet in all rooms
10. Install a watertank to meet Basix requirements
11. Paint all internal walls, ceiling, doors & trims with 2x coats of white acrylic paint
No appliances have been allowed for however we can provide these
12. 2.4 lineal metres of 6 foot treated pine fencing to divide properties
Note: Bathroom is to stay as is, nothing has been allowed in this room (apart from painting)
13. Remove all rubbish from site & clean up
cannot guarantee this price
SUB-TOTAL $35,000.00
G.S.T. $3,500.00

TOTAL $38,500.00

My guess ($)

1. 500

2. 1500

3. 1500

4. 1000

5. 2000

6. 5000

7. 1000

8. 2000

9. 2000

10. 1000

11. 2500

12. 600

13. 1000

total 21600

Estimate only. Hard to estimate without looking

DIY would be less than half

My opinion, get more quotes.

I thought this may be bit low. A sliding window of that size itself may cost $3000+, plus you need to remove garage and install sliding window.

Sliding window:
2100 x 2410 = $690.00

http://www.paylesswindowsanddoors.com.au/windows-amp-doors--price-list/

add $200 for fly screen door

Garage doors are only bolted on. People collect them for resale. They may even remove them for free or for a small fee.

Allow say $500 for a bit of timber work to make the sliding window fit to size. Nail gun the reveal in. Assemble window parts, locks etc ...another $500?

OK allow $2500. You drive a hard bargain!

My guess ($)

1. 500

2. 1500

3. 1500

4. 1000

5. 2000

6. 5000

7. 1000

8. 2000

9. 2000

10. 1000

11. 2500

12. 600

13. 1000

total 21600

Thanks, that is great work.

Absolutely will get more quotes, but I am in Perth and I have had people out to quote, however they don't get back to me.
But will just keep working on it.

I certainly want to keep the costs down.

Cheers
MTR

My guess ($)

1. 500

2. 1500

3. 1500

4. 1000

5. 2000

6. 5000

7. 1000

8. 2000

9. 2000

10. 1000

11. 2500

12. 600

13. 1000

total 21600

DIY would be less than half of 21600? I don't think so.

Some of the estimates you've done are extremely skinny.

The built in's for example.

The carpenter will frame one for maybe $200 in his price.

The plasterer will hang one and trowel one for $300.

The hume double sliding door units retail for about $300 for 2 x 620's, any bigger obviously goes up, these are just standard flush panel redicoats.

If you get a cabinet maker to do a built in with 1 double hanging 3 sets of draws and 3 open shelves ontop, it's about $500, a carpenter can probably knock in a few shelves etc for $200-$300.

You're looking at about $1200-1300 per built in.

people have been going on about building granny flats for ages in sydney and i never thought it that worthwhile given it costs about 100k to do, but if i can find good value house with a garage and convert - with the minimal costs that you have mentioned then it seems more worthwhile.

any other states allow granny flat rental to unrelated parties other than nsw ?

If the slab is not waterproofed (ie suitable to make it habitable) how can it be passed?
That would be my biggest concern. I notice the builder is taking no responsibility. I would find the requirements needed for that first. I'm near there if you need anything and have done a conversion with Blacktown council. I can tell you who NOT to use.

people have been going on about building granny flats for ages in sydney and i never thought it that worthwhile given it costs about 100k to do, but if i can find good value house with a garage and convert - with the minimal costs that you have mentioned then it seems more worthwhile.

any other states allow granny flat rental to unrelated parties other than nsw ?

There have also been threads regarding g/flat conversions with end costs coming in at close to $80K, these are crazy numbers and why would you do it when you can get new at $100K??

I think there is a lot of talk about meeting council guidelines etc etc and this can scare people into believing they need to spend big $ to employ the right expert..... wrong.

Lots of excellent input here thanks. Now lets see if I can actually get more quotes, this is a greater challenge than the actual project:rolleyes:

If the slab is not waterproofed (ie suitable to make it habitable) how can it be passed?
That would be my biggest concern. I notice the builder is taking no responsibility. I would find the requirements needed for that first. I'm near there if you need anything and have done a conversion with Blacktown council. I can tell you who NOT to use.

Thanks, already considered this.

Not sure about the slab, I believe its much thicker than the norm?? Lots to iron out, but I have plenty of time.

Builder is not taking responsibility, if they can get it they do it. That's fine, I can always discuss this and as mentioned more quotes required.

I would also be going private certifier.

Appreciate the input.:)

Thanks, already considered this.
Not sure about the slab, I believe its much thicker than the norm?? Lots to iron out, but I have plenty of time.
Builder is not taking responsibility, if they can get it they do it. That's fine, I can always discuss this and as mentioned more quotes required.

I cannot see any allowance for insulation and building eaves/drainage.....meeting NSW BASIX requirements.
This can be hard to retrofit to meet the requirements without gutting the garage.

The slab will be a key point for occupancy....I hope you will be lucky and have a engineered slab with waterproofing already included.

I gutted my 36sqm garage and raised it 100mm to lay a new slab with waterproof membrane before any further building.
Installed underground plumbing and drainage at same time.
Certifier said it was the only real way to get it right....
And I could not think of any other way to make it engineered and certified.
Lots, lots of hard work.....I did it as an owner builder.

Once this was right it was easy to get everything else sorted for compliance.

Would I do it that way again....no!
I would demolish and start again.

For the OP - Maybe just do a cheap job and rent it out without compliance - less than $10k all up....??
Then demolish and build properly later when you have spare cash?

Good luck.

Last edited:
I cannot see any allowance for insulation and building eaves/drainage.....meeting NSW BASIX requirements.
This can be hard to retrofit to meet the requirements without gutting the garage.

The slab will be a key point for occupancy....I hope you will be lucky and have a engineered slab with waterproofing already included.

I gutted my 36sqm garage and raised it 100mm to lay a new slab with waterproof membrane before any further building.

For the OP - Maybe just do a cheap job and rent it out without compliance - less than $10k all up....??

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I am currently renting it out as is for $220 pw, with outdoor kitchen and have any no problems renting it.

I have the funds to do this now, that is not a problem its really making sure the numbers stack up and it complies.

Good luck.

Thanks for this. I am currently renting it out as is for $220 pw, with outdoor kitchen and have any no problems renting it.

I have the funds to do this now, that is not a problem its really making sure the numbers stack up and it complies.

Why would you not go down this road?? huge price difference from garage conversion to new g/flat??

I did a similar job DIY for a granny flat at one of my IP'S. Total cost was $5000... I bought it when the granny flat was pretty much in the same state as a garage.

Attachments

• GRANNY FLAT BEFORE AND AFTER.jpg
    GRANNY FLAT BEFORE AND AFTER.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,534
Last edited:

If this outbuilding is approved as class1a, then Engineer Certificate for the slab is not required. You will need to find from Council. A garage likely be a class10a and requires a certificate. I think cost is around $500-600 for this cert.

I slowly find using Private Certifier (PCA) is not the easy way out. They require a same set of cert/documents that a Council would ask and still have to put up with crap.

Note the following as well:
-- make sure your Builder is able to sign off on most stuff.
-- the windows will require double glazing and met specs for basix. windows certificate is required.

-- though you may not be touching the wet areas, a waterproofing cert is required for existing work. how to get this? Council may have inspection checklist, but what if previous wet area work Council knows nothing about and they don't have any info..Your PCA may insist to have this still.

--if new work requires external, such as cut hole in wall for window, a waterproof of structure and pest certificate may be required.

-- PCA may require your water heater be certain LEC/rating part of Basix

-- PCA may require the lighting and water flow to met basix
-- though insulation is in Basix, but last 2 conversion I did, PCA doesn't see this to be an issue. They may need a letter from you indicate cannot be validated for the wall.

Last edited:
DIY would be less than half of 21600? I don't think so.

Some of the estimates you've done are extremely skinny.

The built in's for example.

The carpenter will frame one for maybe $200 in his price.

The plasterer will hang one and trowel one for $300.

The hume double sliding door units retail for about $300 for 2 x 620's, any bigger obviously goes up, these are just standard flush panel redicoats.

If you get a cabinet maker to do a built in with 1 double hanging 3 sets of draws and 3 open shelves ontop, it's about $500, a carpenter can probably knock in a few shelves etc for $200-$300.

You're looking at about $1200-1300 per built in.

I had 2 built in wardrobes installed in my unit a few years ago for $1200. Didn't think they have gone up that much.

Back