My little Mona Vale development update - Phase 3

Hi Guys,

Time for a bit of a closing update on this thread...

Well, they're all tenanted now. We got:

Unit 1: 3 bed townhouse ($700pw)
Unit 2: 3 bed + study downstairs unit ($850pw)
Unit 3: 3 bed upstairs unit ($795pw)

So, works out to be about $10K a month which is what I originally estimated at an average of $800pw each. The townhouse let us down a bit due to the compromised floorplan downstairs to meet council's adaptability requirements. Made it very hard to layout a comfortable living and dining space. But the tenants have made the downstairs bedroom their living area and I added a TV point to that room to accommodate that requirement.

Cash flow is good now. We generate $120K pa rent from them and have loans of around $1.75M for interest costs of around $100K pa. Even after land tax and other outgoings we're neutral~ish.

To assist cash flow, I just had my Depreciation Reports done by Scott at The Depreciator. He's a member here and has a great team working for him. I couldn't recommend his work or professionalism highly enough. He's absolutely brilliant at what he does and a pleasure to deal with. He also does Somersoft discounts too if you need one done. I personally had AJ do my reports and she's a star too!!

The reports came back at around $15K pa depreciation on each unit so that will help my negative gearing to the tune of $45K pa. Paper loss resulting in another $15K odd cash in my pocket every year. Happy days.

Profit wise we weren't as high as we'd hoped, but still OK. It ended up costing around $2.3M and valued at completion around $2.7M. Still, given all the hiccups and that $100K of that cost was incremental interest servicing, we're still happy with the outcome. Given a lot of the incremental cost was borne out of my cashflow and cash buffers, we've still ended up with nigh on $1M equity in them at completion, hence the good ending cash flow position of them ongoing.

We're in the process of refinancing them to resi LVRs and rates at present. They've now been strata'd which improves their valuation by the bank for refinance purposes. If we lift the LVR to 80% we can get about $350K odd out as LOCs if we need it to kick off the next project. But for now, we'll leave it in there to improve cash flow. We've already got about $300K in the bank to do the new build in Bardon as proceeds from out North Narabeen former PPOR sale.

The tenants love their new digs too. They're forming a real little community there and get on well with each other. The tenants in the downstairs unit are really house proud and have weeded the entire common areas as well as their own. They've gurneyed the common area path and generally keeping the whole place looking top notch. We're helping all tenants where we can with little things to make them more livable. We installed clotheslines outside in both the downstairs yards at a cost of $1300 odd. Small cheese in the scheme of things but goes a long way to improve the livability and raport with the tenants.

We're just working through the defect period with the builder now and hopefully that will all be closed out shortly.

Its been great blogging this build from go to whoa. Its had a lot of hickups along the way, but we got there in the end. The one biggest learning I got out of it is the importance of tenacity, drive and never giving up. Development is not for the feint hearted, and this one was curlier than most. But even the toughest journey can still bear fruit.

On to our new home build in Bardon QLD now. Just kicking that off in earnest at present and will keep you posted how it goes in its own thread.

Thanks for the support and feedback along the way. Its been a hoot!

Cheers,
Michael

Thanks

Hi Michael,

I have read through this entire thread a couple of times, and just wanted to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to lay out your journey.

We are in the process of working through a development ourselves (much smaller scale) and I have picked up many (and varied) tips from reading through your experiences.

I would also like to congratulate you on reaching the end (of this part of the journey). Must be a great feeling to reach the other side :)

Thanks,

Matto

Great read, thanks Michael
Do you remember that doom and gloom website about the coming property crash - you know, we're all roooned!! They use to take the **** out of you saying you were all talk

Look who's laughing now and while those other mugs are still renting waiting for 40% decline to snap up a bargain

Last edited:
Great read, thanks Michael
Do you remember that doom and gloom website about the coming property crash - you know, we're all roooned!! They use to take the **** out of you saying you were all talk

Look who's laughing now and while those other mugs are still renting waiting for 40% decline to snap up a bargain

Thanks Pieman,

Just noticed this post belatedly now... :eek:

Yes, they've certainly looked after me. I'm now comfortably cash flow neutral on this development with over $1M equity in them. They're set and forget and low maintenance with good tenants. If sydney's recent 15% annual price growth is extrapolated to my little development then that equity just went up by another $300K odd. Anecdotally, my PM and friends in the local area suggest this is definitely the case.

I never did pay too much attention to the gloom brigade. Not because they weren't vocal, but mainly because I was taking a long term view of property and knew I'd be neutral on completion and building in equity.

Now developing my new PPOR in Brisbane with the cash from the sale of my former PPOR I built in Sydney. The new PPOR is looking great and will value very well in its premium suburb only 3km from the CBD. Prices here have lifted strongly in the last 12 months too and Brisbane is only starting to wake up. It will almost be paid off when complete, just $300K owing on the land mortgage.

My vision is to have the new PPOR paid off within 5 years (probably sooner) and be neutral to positive on the Mona Vale development with strong equity in them with an LVR between 50%-55% at present. Then I can set and forget and cruise towards retirement. Might even buy that yacht in the Med and rent the new PPOR out for a year or two and dissappear with my beautiful wife. Here's to options! :D

Cheers,
Michael

What a fantastic outcome. Well done and congratulations.

I hope the stress, heartache, issues and challenges were all worth while.

Enjoy the fruits!

Well done

Blacky

Hi Michael
Well done, and thanks for sharing your story, its a great one.

I knew that Syd was going to have its boom time and you would be riding it with this prime location/development.

Cheers
MTR:)

I hope the stress, heartache, issues and challenges were all worth while.
Hi Blacky, just! :) My wife is still suffering from the process, despite the outcome. It was tough and shows development is not for the feint hearted. Keep up the good work on your development!

I knew that Syd was going to have its boom time and you would be riding it with this prime location/development.
Thanks MTR, I think a few of us had that vision and awareness but it took a little longer to materialise than I was expecting. It might plateau for a while now but even moderate increases from here are significant for me given the amount of assets I now "control" in the sydney market.

Thanks all,
Michael

Hi Michael
Congrats on the end product. It looks great. Well Done.

Have you had any maintenance problems with the lift or turntable? I was wondering what the running/repair/maintenance costs of these two items are each year.

Thanks.

So i just spent the last hour reading this entire forum (there goes gym on my lunch break).

Truly inspiring stuff Michael, I must say I had a good old laugh to myself about the bee hive! Out of everything that seemed to be going wrong, they go and find a beehive as well. haha

I am about to begin the process of subdividing and developing a new place to the rear of my PPOR and must admit this has scared me. I just hope i have your will and tenacity if things turn sour.

Given your experience for this the entire ordeal I would be really interested to hear if you had any words of wisdom for your new developers like myself. Maybe some advice on things to look out for and avoid?

Again congrats and you truly deserve the fruits of your labour. Very inspiring stuff!

Back