My Moonee Ponds Development

Small sites are exciting! The limited space makes for some clever town planning and architecture.

I've attached some screengrabs of the concepts with street names removed :)

love it - but i value outdoors a bit more, i'd have put living ground floor, personally.

concepts work well though :cool:

love it - but i value outdoors a bit more, i'd have put living ground floor, personally.

concepts work well though :cool:

Not really enough nautral light to put living on ground floor, there's a two storey house to the east and not much western light. Making the most of the sunlight on the second floor & also using the balconies :)

Any update Ash?

Tools

Sorry I've kind of disappeared off the face of the earth - work has been unbelievably busy! About to take some leave so that'll give a good opportunity to focus efforts away from surveying.

Planning permit has gone through and we're getting the working drawings finalised + engineering. Builder has been engaged and contracted.

Soil test happening Monday so it's all moving ahead! Happy days :D

Great looking development, I'm sure we will see a lot more of this kind of living over the next few years. It's needed and practicable!

Awesome work!

Great looking development, I'm sure we will see a lot more of this kind of living over the next few years. It's needed and practicable!

Awesome work!

Cheers! It has definitely been a longer ride so far than expected, but I guess that's inevitable when developing such a tiny piece of land.

So you were able to go with just the two car spaces? Did they push back much on that point, or on any others?

Congrats, this is a really interesting project.

So you were able to go with just the two car spaces? Did they push back much on that point, or on any others?

Congrats, this is a really interesting project.

We've had to settle with 1 on-site park per dwelling (shared double garage).

Council seems reluctant to grant on-street parking at the moment, however we will be applying for some on-street permits down the line.

We really only need the one spot anyway as I've got my work car and my wife will get the tram into town for work. Not much need for the second car.

You can put in a car stacker which fits within a single height garage. I think it would be a huge selling point. They're not that expensive

You can put in a car stacker which fits within a single height garage. I think it would be a huge selling point. They're not that expensive

Any idea how much 2 x stackers + excavation would be? (we can't stack higher, so will have to go into the ground if this were the case).

Cheers,

We've had to settle with 1 on-site park per dwelling (shared double garage).

Hi

Did you have to keep both units on the one title to achieve this or were you able to subdivide and create two separate titles and still share the one double garage?

Fantastic design and layout for such a small site, this is the way of the future for small sites close to the city.

Regards,

alicudi

Hi

Did you have to keep both units on the one title to achieve this or were you able to subdivide and create two separate titles and still share the one double garage?

Fantastic design and layout for such a small site, this is the way of the future for small sites close to the city.

Regards,

alicudi

Two separate titles, each garage space is owned by respective title. Common property up the west of Unit 2. Then on first floor the title of Unit 2 overlaps ground titles of garage.

Once I've got the plan of sub finalized I'll share it here.

i have a 2.7m high garage and looked into this (I always want more cars). My problem wasn't getting the lift (they're less than $5k), the problem was 2 cars on top of each otherwould be higher than the 2.7m.

So I would have to break into my slab, excavate and re-lay it.

needless to say I haven't done it.

I'm not sure a stacker would be viable in this situation as you have such a skinny block. Excavating to go down will require a lot of retaining/piling to protect neighbours etc

Everyone can have a small car and a vespa in their single spot :)

I'm not sure a stacker would be viable in this situation as you have such a skinny block. Excavating to go down will require a lot of retaining/piling to protect neighbours etc

Everyone can have a small car and a vespa in their single spot :)

I was seriously considering the stacker but we don't have enough width to go for two single stackers, meaning there would be a double stacker. You'd have to have a good relationship with the person in the other unit as whenever someone would want to use it, the neighbor would have to shift their car!

I drive a territory for my work car, can't imagine fitting survey gear in a clown car :p

Not really worth the $25k or so to do this. Looks like we're selling one of our cars!

So a quick update on the project. I've been in the USA the last month or so, and the project has hit a few milestones.

- Construction loan pre-approved, awaiting stamped building contract (due mid next week). $500k build as estimated in the beginning.

- Landscape architect finished plans- see attached screenshot. Any thing you'd change??

- Building permit near completion (within next fortnight).

- Working drawings first draft being finalized this week.

- Subdivision lodged with council. Wanted to get an early start on this as Moonee Valley was slow with TPP.

It is a bit more of a drawn out process to most developments, but I think it's important we're being extremely thorough as we're living in one of them.

Attachments

• Landscape.JPG
    Landscape.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 133
Back