My musings on Hawaii - part one

Love the story so far - we have been to Hawaii seven times - nice time to be there with the exchange rate hovering aound 90c:).

Can't wait to hear more - like the blog idea as well.

Paul

I thought it would be great to get a line and the legal sizes for bream, whiting and flathead tattooed up the inside of one arm. Then someone pointed out that they change the legal sizes at times. I liked the idea of a tattoo that had a use.

Classic. Great idea. Got me thinking now...

Hmmm..Tatts

Something like this for the less hirsute?

566-funny-tattoo.jpg

Or maybe a bit more extreme !!

images

Lisa,

The Hilton will be fine. But if you have time, go to the Sheraton and swim in their pools. Nobody will know. We stayed at the Sheraton and I'm sure half the people in the pools weren't guests.

If you're paying for your own accomodation, stay in the Aqua Waikiki Wave Hotel. It's right behind the Outrigger, the staff are great, and the rooms fine. We spent the last two nights there. Ask for room 1514 - it's the best positioned room in the hotel. We had a better view from it than we did from the Sheraton. And it was huge room - two queen beds and two balconies. I think it was only about $100 per night. Waikiki Beach is about 200 meters from the hotel. The hotel has a lousy pool, but the Sheraton one is closeby.

Next trip I'll go to Honolulu first and then to another island.

Thanks for the tip Scott :) I'll google the Aqua Waikiki Wave and see how far it is away from the conference venue.

Keep your stories coming!

Cheers
Lisa

Part 3 - The North Shore

After six days at The Sheraton (for three of which, I was attending a conference) it was time to venture out of Honolulu and explore the island. Convertible Mustangs are the fun rental car of choice for tourists, but with four people and enough luggage for twice that (I’ve got girls), we weren’t Mustang material. I got up-sold into a big red soft top four door Jeep. It’s not my sort of car, but it was great being up high when everybody is driving on the wrong side of the road.

Every tourist does ‘the circle’. It’s a loop starting in Honolulu. People either go clockwise up the middle to the top of the island, called the North Shore, and down the east coast, the Windward Coast. Or they go anti-clockwise. We’re going clockwise. There is a freeway that runs behind Honolulu across the bottom of the island. The highway heading north turns right off this freeway and becomes a one lane road before it hits the coast. It’s not a bad hour and half drive up the middle through the pineapple plantations.

The road up the middle hits the North Shore near Sunset Beach, Pipeline and Waimea Bay. Big wave season is in the winter and we missed it, so I didn’t get a chance to put my newly revived surfing skills to the test. The North Shore isn’t at all what I expected. It’s deserted. A single road runs across the top of the island – one lane each way. It has no gutter – just grass verges. There are small towns every now and then. It’s like Byron Bay back before the developers and whippies (weekend hippies) discovered it. The locals up here are very good at keeping the developers out. I don’t know how they do it. On the North Shore there is one hotel. It’s a flash one – Turtle Bay Resort. We stayed there two nights. No turtles. Plenty of wind, though. Crikey, it was windy.

There weren’t many Japanese on the North Shore. Too far from the shops, and too windy for a wedding photo parasol. There are loads of stretch limos that cruise ‘the circle’. I suspect behind those tinted windows were Japanese tourists. Their limo would pick them up at their hotel in the morning, and they would be dropped back safely early afternoon having done the loop without stopping. I saw the occasional bus on the road with more intrepid Japanese tourists. The driver would pull up somewhere and offload them all. They would huddle together I’m sure thinking ‘So, where are the shops?’ Then a few would venture onto the sand and the rest would follow for some quick photos before scurrying back on the bus.

That road carries a lot of small buses with tourists. And there are the limos. And the mustangs – I looked down disparagingly from my jeep at those showy tourists. Of course, everyone in a Jeep with no mud on it is a tourist too. Basically every car less than two years old would be driven by a tourist. The tourist traffic must drive the locals nuts. I hardly saw any of them on the road. I wonder how many accidents there are? I did a double-take one day when I saw a confused Japanese couple in a Mustang. I parked till they were out of sight. There are also plenty of mopeds with tourists. Like all tourists, the ones who hire mopeds in Hawaii seem to think that the concrete here must be softer than the concrete at home because they don’t wear helmets or shoes.

The road hugs the seashore for most of the way. When it goes through towns, there might be a few streets of houses between the road and the shoreline. These are the better houses. The ones on the other side of the road are very different. They are much shabbier and their yards are filled with junk. I quizzed someone on this and he said that it’s expensive to get rid of rubbish in Hawaii because everything has to get taken to California, so people hang onto stuff rather than pay to get rid of it.

Down the Windward Coast (the east coast) it was even windier. Somehow the idea of Oahu’s Windward Coast conjures up images of a gentle tropical breezes – a ‘zephyr’ perhaps. They should just call it the Bloody Windy Coast. Heading down the coast on Sunday we stopped at the Polynesian Cultural Centre. By all accounts, this is the biggest tourist destination on the island. It’s acres and acres with sections dedicated to particular island people: Fijians, Samoans, Tongans, Hawaiins and probably others. They put on shows and wear native clobber and make native stuff and do native things. And it was closed. But I noticed on one of the dozen maps and guides we had accumulated that there was a huge Mormon temple just up the road, so I thought, ‘What the hell, let’s go there’. Its carpark was completely empty, too; there wasn’t a soul in sight. I thought it must have been closed, but the visitors centre seemed to be open, so we wandered in. Brother Walter was chuffed to see us. He explained that on two Sundays every year the head Mormon in the US gives an address or a pep talk or something and Mormons everywhere tune in. The town we were in was a town with 8,000 people, and way more than half were Mormon - including the staff and students at the Brigham Young University next door. So Brother Walter was manning the fort while everyone in town watched the pep talk.

I explained that I was a heathen but Mimi, our 9 year old, does occasionally attend church with a friend of hers. It’s something called the Church of Christ. We thought it might have been an offshoot of the Latter Day Saints, but Brother Walter didn’t think so. I’m not sure why we felt the need to legitimize our curiosity to see the place – I don’t think Brother Walter would have tossed us out. He offered to show us a film about the Mormons in Hawaii, and he was so nice it would have felt impolite to refuse. So he led us into an empty cinema, dimmed the lights, hit ‘play’, and slipped out. We were the only people in there. Lisa and I looked at eachother nervously across the top of the kids’ heads. I think we were both worried for a minute that we might be going to get hypnotized or something.

According to the film, the Mormons came to Hawaii around 1850. It would have been a pretty soft target for them and a nice way to break in new missionaries – none of those pesky head hunters in Hawaii, and US businesses already softening up the locals. In 1865 the Mormons, established themselves on the east coast of Oahu and coaxed the natives down from the beautiful, green, temperate hills to the drier, flat land on the coast. Then they got them into shirts and shorts and taught them how to farm – mostly so the missionaries could be fed, I’d say. It was a bit sad, but I put on a good face when we went back out to see Brother Walt. There were a few displays in the foyer to look at, but Lisa and Lulu made their escape. I stayed talking to Walt while Mimi lingered inside where the displays were.
‘You know why she’s still in there?’ he said.
‘Nope’
‘She feels something.’
‘And there are three televisions’, I added.

One interesting thing that I learnt in the film was that the Polynesian Cultural Centre was established by the Mormons. They still own and operate it. So the Polynesian Cultural Centre, the Brigham Young University, and the big Mormon temple are all part of the same huge complex. It would be the biggest development on the island, apart from the airport. I quizzed Walt on the connection. He said all the displays at the cultural centre were manned by Mormon students from the BY uni next door. It gives them some income while they study. I asked what happened if they ran out of, say, Fijian students, or if the Samoans get on the drink whether they mix them around but he wasn’t sure. I said I would be keen to go there if they re-enacted any of those wars that the Fijians, Samoans and Tongans used to have before the whites showed up. He didn’t think there were any wars between displays at the Cultural Centre but he agreed it would be a pretty good spectacle. (He wasn’t sure whether the stealing of eachothers women would be entirely appropriate, though.) Walt went on to say that the Polynesian Cultural Centre was important for Pacific island nations because the cultures of so many of them were being eroded. He was so affable and polite that I didn’t have the heart to suggest, even very gently, that perhaps the missionaries in some teeny tiny way might bear some responsibility for that cultural erosion.

It was time to go and I hauled Mimi away from the televisions. I told Walt on the way out that the Mormons or someone might get her one day and that one out of four wasn’t bad. He laughed and said it wasn’t about keeping score. I pointed out that the Muslims were probably keeping score and that they were winning. He nodded. I told him that the promise of 70 or so virgins in heaven was pretty compelling for young Muslim blokes. I suggested that perhaps the Mormons could claw back a bit of ground by bringing back polygamy – sort of a heaven on earth. I could tell that Walt thought there was some merit in the idea, even though he was probably beyond being an active polygamy participant.

Top stuff Scott,

Great read.

Went there last year for part of a few months American / Canadian R & R.

Stayed at Waikiki, and decided to go for a little walk up to that Mountain we saw in the distance. (Diamond Head Crater) After a couple of hours in the Sun, and wearing my thongs as a form of hiking apparel,I nearly died getting there.....And then after traversing the incline.....I thought I was mad. Anyway, once up at the top, it is a fantastic sight looking back down on Waikiki, and all of Honolulu for that matter..

I have to say it.......we saw a number of Mustang convertables on the roads, and thought to ourselves.......oh no, there gos another tourist!:)

So can you really say you surfed? The waves on Waikiki are quite, how would you say it.....small. If you blink you would miss them. Whereas if you said you were trying your first 'get up' on the Bonzai Pipeline, well then, that would be a very different story. I guess the result is actually standing up.....well done.

Keep the story coming!

Cheers,

F

. I suggested that perhaps the Mormons could claw back a bit of ground by bringing back polygamy – sort of a heaven on earth. I could tell that Walt thought there was some merit in the idea, even though he was probably beyond being an active polygamy participant.

I used to think that way until I saw Big Love on SBS- it would be more like hell on earth with more than 1 wife IMO

Excellent work Scott.

I have been to Hawaii once when I was 20 (LONG time ago). They had a special whereby you could stop for a week on the way home for $100 including accom. Too good to pass up. I had virtually no money so lived on McDonalds mostly but did the touristy things (Pearl Harbour, Diamond Head, Cultural show). I didn't like the lukewarm surf.

Friends go there frequently but I have never had the desire to go back. I have seen cruises around the islands which interest me. You have changed my thinking. I might just venture back on my next trip up that way. Or go there and do a cruise around the other islands.

MMM I'll put it on my ever increasing list of places to visit. Seems each time I cross off a place and put the pin in my world map I have to add another place to my list. Hopefully I live a long time.

Don't you love those "conferences". I remember I went on one to Singapore. It was an incentive for managers that achieved their target sales and maintained their expenditure. When we arrived they gave us a list of conference times. Everyone went "what the" but they said it was just for tax purposes, they weren't really happening. :D

A few days in Waikiki and then a cruise round the islands - or a week on one of the smaller islands - would be the way to go.

The people on this conference worked pretty hard. It was a big planning/accounting group. We're a service provider to them. Their members had to attend sessions and register for them to obtain CPD (training) points.

Here's the final instalment:

Heading down the Bloody Windy Coast now. We’re staying two nights in a house at Waimanalo Beach towards the bottom of the coast. This part of the coast is a lot like the drive from Cairns to Port Douglas. Still very few people and a one lane road. It’s a bit of a hassle moving accommodation every two days with the amount of stuff we’re lugging around. I keep hoping to see removalists walk through the door on the mornings we’re due to move digs.

I took the top off the jeep today. There were about four pages of instructions on how to do it in the manual, but I lost interest after the first page. I got the thing off after about 20 minutes of wrestling. Folded down it didn’t look exactly like the picture in the manual, but it didn’t become a sail when I drove off, so that was a relief. It took longer to put it back on and it didn’t look like it did originally, so I stuffed something up. I reckon I was the first person who had tried it with that car. Here’s a tip if you ever buy a soft top Jeep. Take the cover completely off and pack it away till you sell the car. Just drive it on sunny days. Give the top to the new owner in a bag and tell him you kept it like that so it would be in mint condition when you sold the car.

There was a nice beach where we were staying, but it was too windy to swim. Have I mentioned the wind? So we went for a drive. We headed toward Honolulu and ended up on the freeway that took us into Honolulu, so we backtracked. We found an area on the shore just east of Diamond Head that had some very expensive real estate. There was a street with a police car parked at the entrance. Over the next few days I saw a police car constantly sitting at the entrance of that street. I bet it’s the street that Obama’s holiday house is in.

We found a small public carpark squeezed in between some very expensive real estate that gave us access to a beach. Along the beach was a very nice place called Kahala Resort. The beaches are public, but the hotels can get pretty proprietorial about the beaches in front of them. This one had some big blow-up water toys – almost an inflatable island - in the lagoon just off the beach and lots of deck chairs on the sand. There were hotel employees whose job it was to deposit clean folded towels on the deck chairs and remove the damp ones. We weren’t game to commandeer a deck chair, but the kids were onto the inflatable lagoon stuff in a flash. The place was so up-market that I didn’t see one tattoo on anybody. Lisa went for a wander around the hotel grounds – she has more class than me and looks like she belongs in a very flash hotel more than I do. I stayed on the beach to watch the kids.

It was interesting to watch Mimi the stalker at work. She loves making new friends and has a page in her holiday diary listing the friends she has made so far. She’ll spot a likely target and sidle up – or this case swim up – close to them. It’s delightfully predatory to watch. They don’t have a chance. She manoeuvers herself into their view and waits for them to notice her. If that doesn’t work, she acts like she’s having a fantastic time all by herself right beside them. No kid could resist it. A glance from them is all it takes and they’re goners, drawn into the Mimi vortex. Lulu, her younger sister, often rides the vortex but she can extricate herself from it when she wants to. Newcomers to the vortex don’t find it so easy. Adults sometimes get caught up, too. And stray animals – even if they didn’t realize they were stray.

Lisa came back from her foray into the guest only zone and said, ‘Scott, there’s a pool back there with dolphins in it.’
‘Well of course there is. It’s America.’ I thought.
We grabbed the girls and sure enough, back in the hotel grounds, there were a couple of big lagoons with dolphins in them. And there was a family standing in the water with the dolphins. I stood watching with the kids while Lisa went looking for some information on what was going on.

When she got back, Lisa and girls stood transfixed, watching the Dolphins.

I was transfixed by the family paying $1,225 to be in with the dolphins for 30 minutes. ‘Do they get to keep the fish?’ I asked one of the dolphin trainers.

Two days later I stood transfixed in the same spot watching my family in with the dolphins. They only did the 15 minute one, though - $125 per person. So they were waist deep in the water with one of the dolphin trainers. The dolphins came over and they patted them and fed them and the dolphins did some dolphin stuff. The skin felt like sushi, Lisa reckoned. That made me smile. (There were no Japanese at that hotel – if there were, they would certainly be thinking along sushi lines.) At the end of the 15 minutes there was perhaps the most compelling up-sell in the history of up-sells. The trainer (who seemed a bit uncomfortable doing it) looked at Lisa and the girls and said: ‘Now, if you want to stay in the water for an extra 15 minutes and actually swim with the dolphins it’s an extra $100 per person.’ To their credit, the little girls didn’t seem too disappointed when Lisa said it wasn’t going to happen (though if they end up in therapy one day we’ll know why).

We spent the last two nights back in Honolulu. I had a thought about the other coast as we drove into Honolulu.
All the guide books and maps go on endlessly about the Bloody Windy Coast. There will be pages and pages about the attractions of the Bloody Windy Coast and right at the very end, in the last paragraph, they’ll say something like, ‘Oh, and there’s the other coast.’ And that’s it. Nobody talks about it. I bet that’s where all the locals are. And it stands to reason that it’s not going to be windy, being the lee coast. The food will be cheaper, the roads free of tourists. That’s where I’ll go next time.

There must have been some sort of documentary on Australia on cable TV the night before we got into Honolulu. The first two Americans I spoke at the hotel when checking in said, ‘Australia, huh? Boy, you sure got some deadly stuff down there.’ It’s an odd thing the pride we Australians take in our deadly things. ‘Yep’ we say with a swagger, ‘if it can kill you, we’ve got it. You know we’ve got nine out of the world’s top ten deadly snakes…’ Despite the bravado most of us run a mile from our deadly things. I have to confess, though, I’m bit disappointed we don’t have a big land based carnivore to round out the mix. I usually tell tourists at home to never, ever, turn their back on a koala bear.

That’s about all. It was good being back in Honolulu. I like doing a circle when travelling and coming back to the start point – a place always feels different the second time. I’m still not comfortable with the whole ‘aloha’ thing, though. Every shop keeper, bus driver, waiter or hotel employee greets tourists with a cheerful ‘Aloha’. Even the ones who are whiter than me trot out an ‘aloha’. I always feel a bit self-conscious and silly using a greeting from another language when I’m clearly not that nationality. (I won’t get started on the tossers in Leichhardt at home who say ‘Ciao’ just because they live in a suburb with lots of Italians.) So in Hawaii, in response to their ‘Aloha’, I would say, ‘Gidday’. On the rare occasion when I got in first with a jaunty ‘Aloha’, they responded with a ‘hello’. So I felt self-conscious and silly.

Mahalo.

(That’s goodbye.)

Nice final instalment Scott.

My wife went swimming with the Dolphins as well, but at Sea Life Park on the east coast.

You're right - from what we were told by our tour guide, not as many people visit the west coast of the island, and certainly not as many 'touristy' things over that side (there is a Wet 'n' Wild world though). Even the whole island tour bypassed it by going up through the highway in the middle. The main reason being (for the tours anyway) - the road doesn't connect anymore. The western side of the island actually has more extreme weather (winds, storms etc) than the east side. The road near the north west corner was continually being belted and washed into the ocean, so a few decades back they just decided to stop rebuilding it.

Anyway, really enjoyed this thread Scott, takes me back. :)

Back