my new favorite quote

05636b5b2c97b91ad5b6bd6da61ba787.jpg

Food for thought

I see it as a metaphor about leaving your home port and venturing out to experience the unknown

Haven't seen the new ad yet. Good quote though.

I'm on the same level as the marketing team so I'll let them know they've done their job :p

My favourite quote is, 'There are no stupid questions... only stupid people'.
Courtesy of the Simpsons :D

I learnt many years ago that I ask the question that I already know the answer. A great sounding board.

"A smart man knows only to believe half of what they're told. The wise man knows which half".

I learnt many years ago that I ask the question that I already know the answer. A great sounding board.

"A smart man knows only to believe half of what they're told. The wise man knows which half".

Cunningham's Law states "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer."

Discussion here.

The concept is named after Ward Cunningham, father of the wiki. According to Steven McGeady, the law's author, Wikipedia may be the most well-known demonstration of this law. Cunningham's Law can be considered the Internet equivalent of the French saying "pr?cher le faux pour savoir le vrai" (preach the falsehood to know the truth). In "Duty Calls," xkcd references a similar concept.

I heard this one the other day from a work mate

- "You can build a house from a business, but you cannot build a business from a house"

and the alternative to the no stupid questions quote is;

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

Here's a couple of classics:
We Spaniards know a sickness of the heart that only gold can cure.
Hernan Cortez

"There's your fuel, there's your water-now go get them" (paraphrased-can't find the original) Erwin Rommel to a subordinate who complained of low supplies. Rommel was pointing at a British fuel dump at the time seen through his binoculars.

"My mother? I'll tell you about my mother!" Leon- Bladerunner

"Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book." Cicero

"if you want peace, prepare for war" comes from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius ( I thought this was a Caesar quote but I was mistaken)

"They tried the fortunes of war and were losers" Caesar-The Conquest of Gaul- a good read.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." Sun Tzu
"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." Sun Tzu

"The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected." Sun Tzu

Just read The Art of War

I just read the avatar of "Chris B" which struck me like lightning when I first read it many years ago;

"What if I fall? Oh, my darling, what if you fly?"

From memory was part of a bigger poem about getting close to the edge and cant remember the author but still strikes a chord in me.

Back