My new purchase - Highbury SA

Thanks for the feedback eKwatee, appreciate input.

Definitely going with Torrens.

The extra costs isn't $33k

- Torrens Title $33k + $10-15k main sewer extension

- Community Title $25k + $5-8k upgrade sewer

Extra cost is $13-15k from estimates provided.

Update - Council not happy - DAMM TREE!

Council not happy with the driveways being inside the Tree Protection Zone (TPZ) and Structural Root Zone (SRZ).

It may be also be determined that a crossover wide enough to facilitate two dwellings fronting Lindsay Street as proposed may not be possible in this instance. You may wish to reconsider the proposal for two dwellings on larger allotments, requiring a single driveway to Lindsay Street as opposed to three dwellings. A single drive may have a lesser impact to the two trees.

Architect is going back to council tomorrow to discuss. Neighbour seemed to have got around this issue somehow, as their tree looks about 1M to the driveway. (hopefully the link below worked)

Attachments

• 13 Lindsay Street Tree.JPG
    13 Lindsay Street Tree.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 143
Council not happy with the driveways being inside the Tree Protection Zone (TPZ) and Structural Root Zone (SRZ).

Architect is going back to council tomorrow to discuss. Neighbour seemed to have got around this issue somehow, as their tree looks about 1M to the driveway. (hopefully the link below worked)

Small world isn't it. I sold that house on 15 Lindsay Street a couple of years ago now. That house had very nice city views from the balcony. Was also a really nice design.

Yes had suggestions from others that the tree should of 'gone' prior to submitting.

Small world isn't it. I sold that house on 15 Lindsay Street a couple of years ago now. That house had very nice city views from the balcony. Was also a really nice design.

Haha there you go. Yes very nice design and very happy that they completed the development next door as definitely increases the value of mine. I'm sure their value will also increase if I can get this devleopment happening. Looks like it was a reasonable price for the property at the time, given the market wasn't that strong back then. Was there a lot of interest in the property? What do you believe the property would sell for in today's market?

Yes had suggestions from others that the tree should of 'gone' prior to submitting.

Haha there you go. Yes very nice design and very happy that they completed the development next door as definitely increases the value of mine. I'm sure their value will also increase if I can get this devleopment happening. Looks like it was a reasonable price for the property at the time, given the market wasn't that strong back then. Was there a lot of interest in the property? What do you believe the property would sell for in today's market?

Yes the owner who built and sold no. 15, went on to built the one next door and has now moved into that.

I agree, your development would help increase the value of theirs.

There was a little bit of activity during the sale, most buyers at the time had subject to sale as the market was a little weaker than it is now. I think it would fetch around the $630,000 in today's market, maybe a little more.

Councils! Bah! So frustrating

What feed back did your architect get from council?

Would be so infuriating to spend all that time getting your designs just the way you want them to have to rework it all, just over a bloody tree.

What feed back did your architect get from council?

Would be so infuriating to spend all that time getting your designs just the way you want them to have to rework it all, just over a bloody tree.

Bit of back and forward with council, wont comment too much at this stage until resolved. There is some debate around the neighbours tree.

At the moment the solution has been to angle the driveway/crossover which then gives us the 1.5M required (refer to attached pic). This should be acceptable pending engineers comments/report around excavation in the tree's zone.

Will be extremely dissapointing to go back to two lots. I don't believe this will be the case, as a PLAN B we could look to have a community driveway for the duplex, but I don't like this path. A seperate driveway for the duplex's will be better for the rent, value and overall living quality of the tenants/future owners.

Attachments

• Driveway Change.JPG
    Driveway Change.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 135
more than 1 year now since you got the property. Did you end up renting it for good money again after your friend moved out? If not, quite steep holding cost for the return?

more than 1 year now since you got the property. Did you end up renting it for good money again after your friend moved out? If not, quite steep holding cost for the return?

Long story short, received a payout from insurance company for loss of rent and tenant damage. Costs approx $1,200 (less offset) to hold each month. The plan was always to start around now, only got brought forward due to tenant.

Net result has worked out well for me.

Arborist

Help required, anyone know a good arborist?

Council has come back

The driveway crossover as amended is not supported. Council?s Arborist has identified that the degree of excavation within the SRZ is still likely to result in irreversible tree damaging activity.

It has been advised that if you wish to pursue the crossover in its amended form, we will need to receive a report from an independent arborist who has undertaken a practical examination of the root system in the location of excavation to ensure that no roots greater than 50mm in diameter will be cut or damaged. The report needs to be based on evidence rather than assumption.

Even with this report ? it needs to be quite thorough in terms of identifying the actual impact to the tree, and must include protection and remedial actions specific to the encroachment and the tree, both during and after construction.

There is still no guarantee that the report will be accepted to permit encroachment into the SRZ.

Unfortunately this means that the access as proposed in its current form cannot be supported and without access to the site, the proposal is hypothetical and leaves you and your client with one of two options:

? Explore the driveway as it is by seeking additional supporting information and evidence from an independent arborist, or

? Look at amending the plans and land division to be community title with a shared driveway with all services, driveways and earthworks to be outside the SRZ of the street tree.

Brady,

Would the design (or similar) work with the 2 semi detached facing the other street and your PPOR being on the tree side?

I believe there would be more value in keeping the properties on facing the street they're currently facing. There is a really nice park straight across the road and two really nice houses next door. I think the value would be better as community title with shared driveway over changing street frontage.

I believe there would be more value in keeping the properties on facing the street they're currently facing. There is a really nice park straight across the road and two really nice houses next door. I think the value would be better as community title with shared driveway over changing street frontage.

Cool (need more char)

Estimated quote from SA Water for main sewer extention for 3 lots - $27k

Will be proceeding to get a accurate confirmed quote once I've got approval from council.

Daylight bloody robbery.It really pi$$es me off everyone has a hand in your pocket right through the process,then add ESL,then add Land Tax,then if your lucky to make a profit,they are there again with the hand out.

Will be proceeding to get a accurate confirmed quote once I've got approval from council.

Gday Brady,

Is this something you can get a contractor to do at a cheaper price or does it have to be SA water?

Cheers, Colin

Back