My PC died :(

Born 2002
Died yesterday.
13 yo
Cost about $1800
P4 win xp sp2 512 mb RAM 40 gig hdd. Office 2000.
Trusty old girl, sadly missed. It was a terrible demise. I switched her on to put some valuables on SS when it hung on P.O.S.T. I opened her up, blew dust and cob webs off her, took RAM off and replaced. Same with processor.

Switched her on again, mother board shorted,smell of burnt plastic...black screen of death. One continual ong beep emits ......she's gone. No data has been backed up!

Now rely on 5 yo HTC for net access till new pc .....

13 years... good run, especially for a P4.

My Core2 is still going strong after 7 years.... lets see if it can last another 7 :D

My laptop is around 6yrs old and still working fine ... I dread the day it dies ... what does one do with all the computer remembered passwords and saved photos?

I still have my 10 yr old laptop sitting in the drawer as it has the first 5 years of photos on it. It still works fine too - but rather slow

Where do old PCs go when they die these days?
I've got a 7 year old that works fine but hasn't been used for probably a year or more.
Are we supposed to do something responsible with them?

If your HTC also dies now, what will you do? (Not being cruel, just thinking of whey we all will do without these devices and internet)

Just unplug your old hard drive and plug it into another computer. Copy your files.

Hard drive is probably still fine.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

The machine will have its hard drive removed to relive again as suggested. The carcass will either be ceremoniously scuttled or most likely flung from the back verandah to a far corner where the other junk resides.

It is always a good idea to back up data. Thank you once again.

Back