My small development journey so far..

Hi all.
For those interested read on.

Mid 2009 i bought a 1000 sqm property with a 3 bedder and attached granny flat FOR $300,000
Pos CASHFLOW as it sat after reno including all costs so happy at just that.

Late 09 crunched some numbers to subdivide and as it was on a corner block. the numbers staked up.

The project

Removal of the old asbestos garage on the side axcess boundry.
Build new garage for existing property( split in half and shared with flat)
Build 4 bed two bath on back of property with road frontage.
Subdivide from original property, revalue and move on.

End result 3 incomes. Hold long term. Pos geared.

Total costs of around $250,000 expected( 95% prices fixed plus buffer).
Including new garage for existing property.
Similar sales for the new property around $340,000 to $380,000( withing 1 klm)

To council i go

FIRST LESSONS
1# Neighbours will complain
2# Council will make things hard
3# It will take longer than you think.

Engaged the use of a town planner and glad i did. Council went to town with me and neighbours did also.Started DA begining of the year thinking 2 to 3 months would get it through.
Well im still going.
Many issues but below are the main ones.

1# Sewer line

I planned to build over but due to it being too deep i was not allowed.
FIX
I reduced the double garage to a single and pushed the house over a meter.
Unfortunately i still have to encase the sewer line( allowed for anyway).
Not ideal but gets it over the line.

2# Granny flat considered a dual occupancy.

As the whole DA must be assessed as a dual occ before i can subdivide. Council consider the flat a dual occ so this development would result in 3 on the one block( before subdivision)
FIX
No way around this unfortunately so i must connect the flat via all weather connection and surrender the granny flat as a independent residence effectively creating one residence with the original property.
Backward step i know but after the new place is built annd subdivided i then re approach the council and hopefully get re approved as there will now only be one property on that lot.

There were a few other issues with setbacks,privacy etc but all have been addressed.

So as i sit now i should have approval through in the next day or two :):):)

Only cost blow out at this stage is the additional requirement of connecting the flat to the house but reducing the double garage to a single offsets this.

So 3 months turned into most of the year but since its pos cashflow there has been no holding costs. ( plus its climbed in value about $50,000 anyway)

Next step.
Get DA approval in my hand.
Final finance approval
Sign with builder
Start new garage for existing property
Demolish old garage and encass sewer line.
Start new property.

For those that might be interested i will update this as things happen.
Date changes
cost blowouts
Last minute changes
Suprises good and bad.

So far im happy with this little development. great learning experience for me.
With some profit at the end hopefully:)

Last edited:
Well done Devo. Plenty of cream in there for you so don't be worried by a few barriers. You can't learn without jumping in. Are you sure you can fully subdivide the property? In my shire the land must be over 1200sqm. We can strata subdivide over 800sqm though - but you cannot build a granny flat on a strata titled dual occ.

Look forward to the updates. How about some photos. :)

Well done Devo. Plenty of cream in there for you so don't be worried by a few barriers. You can't learn without jumping in. Are you sure you can fully subdivide the property? In my shire the land must be over 1200sqm. We can strata subdivide over 800sqm though - but you cannot build a granny flat on a strata titled dual occ.

Look forward to the updates. How about some photos. :)

Thanks mate. Must be 1000 sqm here to subdivide with 500 sqm being the smallest you can go after subdivision.

But if you build a duall occ and apply for subdivision after the build you can go as low as 350 sqm. Due to dwelling location. One block will be about 620 and one 380 sqm. This is why i must build to duall oc spec first and this is why i had trouble with the flat.But after subdivision i can look at the flat again.

I might put some photos up when i have a look at how you do it :eek:

I might put some photos up when i have a look at how you do it :eek:

You have to reduce the size of the original file down below 100kB and save it to a place on your computer. Then click on the box below here where it says "manage attachments" Then browse to the file on your computer and upload it.

Good luck with it all - and stay away from that heady Property Economics forum and keep getting your hands dirty here in the real world. :D

Doing my 1st subdivision in similar scenario and block.... good luck. I let the builder experienced in subdivision (and saw actual jobs he's doing) handle the paperwork and saved my self the hassle after 3 uneventful and fustrating months with a snail paced civil engineer.

While you can , move the sewer pipe and open your building options, unless it's too deep and then big $$$$$$....but looks like your going the piling option (how old is the pipe?)

Anyway why sell after all the hassle?

Rent, build equity and buy again, think longterm sustained cashflow over short term gain.... that's my plan anyway

Rockstar

Sounds easy. Ill post some picks when i get the approval in my hands just to be safe.

Shrewd

The pipe is very old and will be replaced. Its 3.6 deep which is over the 3 meter maximum. Plus redirecting does not give enough fall due to the extra distance travelled so encassing and building around is my only option.My builder is a project builder so due to the difficulties of this project i engaged a local engineer. Still worth it purely because of there relationship with local council. Hate to think what i would have gone through if i did it myself.
Also dont plan on selling. Revalue at completion and go again.:)
Cheers

Sounds like you're all over it.

Keep looking for ways to save time and money....a lil bit here and there all adds up to a big bit, which increases the equity at the end = borrowing power for next development.

DA APPROVED :):):

Not much will happen now due to xmas unfortunately but i will start the ball rolling.

Confirm finance tomorrow ( No worries)
Sign builders fixed quote friday.
Let garage builder now they can start moving.
Quote for enclosed walkway back tomorrow. They can also start.
Talking to contractors friday about sewer encasement.Start asap
Get some more quotes to demolish existing garage.Start asap

When this is complete the house will start.
Early next year should be fun and ill start posting photos.

:D:D:D

Well I've done as much as I can do befor Xmas.

Met with the builder and town planner and went over the gazzilion steps and stages council enforces.

Finance approved and waiting.

Garage builder notified and moving.

Alterations quote accepted.

Engineer for sewer encasement given plans.

That's it. Nothing more I can do.
Nothing will happen between now and mid Jan but it should be full steam from there.

Hope the attachement works.

not very clear but shows the original property( lot 71) to the right with the flat attached to the back. It will have a new garage built( dark shade) of the western wall.
And the new property( Lot 71) built to the north. I know it is positioned in the middle of the block but it had to be done to meet setback requirements and to clear the sewer line.

Cheer

Attachments

• Development.zip
    33.2 KB · Views: 257
yes attachment works!!

excellent plan, good to see your on top of it, shame bout the sewer...

I'm having similar dilemmas atm, hopefully that will all sort out for me too, it's just so exy for these bits and pieces that add no value to the overall build - very frustrating!!!

Devo,

Are you able to provide some detail on the "neighbour" issues with your devlopment please? I'm doing a 3 x stand alone, two storey townhouse build in SA currently and thought I would share the following with you.

I've deliberately not spoken with the retired couple next door due to the fact that I met them when I first bought in 2005. The lady asked me what my plans were so I told her I wanted to start cleaning up the street and putting some value into the area.....there was no development at all under way in the street at the time.....all older SA Housing Trust & 1970's bogan builds. I told them at the time that the disgusting old besser brick house was going to be bulldozed and I would be putting up three high spec townhouses and I wanted to get some good quality tenants in who would look after the properties.

Straight away the old girl went the "Oh no, not next door to us, not a block of flats!!" disposition. Never mind the existing busted ar$e hovel was being tenanted by ratbags, the street was full of burnout marks and partially wrecked cars were parked up on footpaths, the actual block was totally overgrown and full of refuse, dog ****, kids nappies and rotting matter.

She just wasn't prepared to listen to anything I was saying.......all she could see was a block of flats (reminded me straight away of my bloody mother.....hasn't got a positive bone in her body!!). Interestingly her hubby said nothing and just wandered back into his shed and started drilling whatever he was making.

So I have totally ignored them ever since, I didn't even bother communicating the development application to them or other neighbours formally and everything has gone very well. I left the fallback position at if they want any info they can go the council and look at the planning applications folder in the foyer!!

Sometimes you just have to forget the civilities and get on with your business.

I now see quite a number of properties in the street in various stages of redevelopment.

Cheers,

Ian.

Haven't got much time so I'll just quickly say " watch what you tell the neigbours"
I went the friendly way and everything I told them was twisted and used against me during the DA.
It's all business now. I'm not there to be friends with them.

Not much movement the last week or so.
Waiting for the garage company to get moving as everything else hinges on this being completed.
My original builder for the enclosed walkway/extension fell through. Luckily another guy stepped up for me. he is just finalizing his quote which is actually looking a little better.
Booked the demo of the old asbestos shed in. Total cost $6,000 which includes removal of all the driveways etc. This come in bang on budget.
Also got all the underground services to the shed marked so i can disconnect. Would you believe the plumber did it for nothing on his way home.
So far only cost overun was the council requirement to enclose a walkway between the flat and house. Expect $10,000 but it will add value to property.

Cheers.

How's it all going devo?

Hope it's not too stressful for ya...

Yes a bit stressfull but fun at the same time.
Another delay with strange council requests.

I thought it was strange that they made me build the garage on the existing block before the give me a construction certificate to build the new property.

But now they also want the sewer line encassed before they give me a construction certificate for the garage even though its not anywhere near the zone of influence :confused:

So basically encasse the sewer line before i build the garage( 10 meters from the garage) before i build the house.

Crazy but i have to play the game.

Apart from that i had a builder back out of the granny flat additions. new guy come in at a higher price( could probably smell the desperation).

power and water has been removed from the garage and a installed a second water meter for the flat while i was there.

Windows ordered for the additions.

The property is slightly pos geared so delays are not costing me but still annoying.

Budget still looking good.At this point im about $2,000 over budget.
sewer line encasement will be the next budget bust through. I allowed $12,000 but due to council requests to encase boundry to boundry( outside their guidlines :confused:) i expect this to blow out to around $15,000.

Still good margin in it i believe. The house as it will sit on the block finished should still come in around $215,000( not including garage/additions on existing house).

Expected value $350,000-$370,000

Cheers.

Subdivide or dual accupancy?

Hi, I recently (4 mos ago) bought a property investment in Frankston North.
investment. Being a single mother with single income a bit scared. Good size of block of land (706 sq)with house that have basic renovation inside which is currently tenanted (luckily.) This is my first attemp to this
I want to subdivide or make it as dual accupancy - build a simple 2-3 Br house at the back. Don't know how to start. I Have been given several step to do, bu still confused, scared who can i trust to do this.
The council gave me one land transfer/surveyor in the area and was given this quotations:
Scope of woprk : location of existing bldg, locations of tress, etc., then additional work as: asess adjoining bldgs, fences, solar traverse, street description etc.
Fee proposal: cost plus gst
Feaute Survey $1,100
Re-establishment survey $ 1,320
Site analysis $1,100
Town Planning $3,300
Landscape plan $660
2 Lot Subdivision $1,650

Plus other expense such as :
Town Planning applications $586
Architectural drafting plans $2,000 +gst
Subdivision application fee to council $526
South East Water $1000
Melbourne water $1,500
Title office lodging fee $700
Solicitors ( Unknown)

Does this sound ok (price and work involve wise).

If any builder, or anyone that can recommend , please let me know... I would really like to hear from anyone. or if your are in this sort of business, your advice is much appreciate.

rof521

hi rof, I'd get another land surveyor to give you a quote, some of the fees seem to double up a bit.

ALSO, if you are going to get it build by large building co, then approach them to handle the land surveying/town planning requirements, they may do it a bit cheaper, then it's handled by the one contact for you.

Back