My son starts school on Monday and he is Anaphylaxis

Surely all this should be done prior to the child walking through the school gates. At the school I work in all medical issues are sorted out with the enrolment forms (well before school attendance) - and I am at a high school.

What happens if disaster strikes on Day 1?
Marg

The Allergy plan has already been provided by this stage, but I never assume it has reached the "coalface" so I take matters into my own hands. I wait till the 2nd day as the teacher will be overwhelmed on the 1st day and I want their full attention with what I am going to tell them.

Having said that he started secondary school last week and I had the opportunity to speak to the year 8 head to confirm receipt of previously sent documentation. By that stage he knows to refuse all food not from his lunchbox and one of his peers familiar with his condition from his old school is in the same class (I specifically requested this so his mate can alert the teacher at the first sign of a problem).

I am thinking of laminating a pocket sized action plan that he can carry with him and show if he starts having a reaction.

I suppose it is all about implementing systems but I do not want to smother his independence which in the long run will be fatal to his happiness and good health.

You sound like such a caring soul :rolleyes:

GG

Maybe I am over reacting although my childs dairy allergies have a better than average chance of killing him if not treated properly and promptly.

The methods I outlined have worked for me but it took a while to evolve them.

If you make your expectations known then the school will respond accordingly.

It was hard at first but now it has got easier, but I always tried to make it so that my son wouldn't "stand out" because of his allergies.

Maybe I am over reacting although my childs dairy allergies have a better than average chance of killing him if not treated properly and promptly.

We have to contend with Dairy, Eggs, Nuts and Kiwi Fruit having a better than average chance of killing him if not treated properly and promptly. :eek:

So i know how you feel

GG

When I went to school we never heard of this. When Emily started school there was one other kid. When she finished Grade 6 there were a dozen + of them.

Is this increasing due to parents getting on the bandwagon with non life threatening allergies or are the allergy kids really getting more and more common.

Medical science is no closer to understanding the peanut allergy or why it is getting more common. There are lots of theories but no proven cause as yet.

Back