My son starts school on Monday and he is Anaphylaxis

Hi All,

Yeap, it is always scary when your child starts school but our little fellow has a potential deadly condition

Here is a website re info: Anaphylaxis

We have all the safety measures in place at school but geeeez, he will be wondering around the school playground with out us :eek:

Anybody else been thru this?

GG

Other side of the fence GG.

I work in a school.

Only 3 rules:
1. Make sure he has his Epipen.
2. Make sure he has his Epipen.
3. If possible, have a spare Epipen located in the office.
Marg

Other side of the fence GG.

I work in a school.

Only 3 rules:
1. Make sure he has his Epipen.
2. Make sure he has his Epipen.
3. If possible, have a spare Epipen located in the office.
Marg

Yes, the office will have his medicine bag. When you say make sure he has his Epipen, do you me on him, as in a bum bag or in his school bag? I wouldn't have thought the school would allow a child to carry around medicine

GG

I'd say he'd have to have it on him. A lot can happen in the time it takes to go to the front office, get an epipen, and come back. And they sneak peanuts etc into heaps of food, and kids do share food without reading the ingredients list.

School starting is good though. 8:30-3:30 with no arguments. Fantastic.

Yes, the office will have his medicine bag. When you say make sure he has his Epipen, do you me on him, as in a bum bag or in his school bag? I wouldn't have thought the school would allow a child to carry around medicine

GG

It really depends on badly your son reacts. A bag in the office may be too far if he is in the playground when he has an attack. By the time a teacher is alerted, someone goes to the office, calls the ambulance, locates the bag and returns to the playground it could be far too late.

In an emergency every second is vital.

If your son has had a previous analphylactic episode then I would consult his doctor as to the appropriate place for his epipen to be kept while he is at school. Most schools have an emergency plan for students with medical conditions whichshould include instructions from the treating doctor.

It used to be scarier imo.

There were schoolmates of my daughter who had the condition when she was 6.

As parents, we were aware of the condition with one child. She knew that were things that we could not put in her lunch.

And all teachers were informed of any requirement.

Make sure that your school has similar policies. I'm sure they would, but check it. And ask parents of other children as well.

Thanks for all the feed back, it certainly is a scary time for us, we wish we could just keep him under our wing but he needs to fly.....safely :)

GG

BTW- forgot to add.

She's 16 now.

In a different school, but with other children also with anaphylaxis.

Awareness has increased, but it's still a problem.

My daughter has a peanut allergy. She is 13 now so I have experienced this for a while.

The schools are very good. There were about a dozen of these kids at her Primary and there was never an incident. The teachers had training and there are good systems in place.

Even the tuckshop had "wanted" style posters of the allergy kids.

But your main defence will be the level that you have equipped your daughter to understand what she can't have and how to say no.

Poor emily couldn't have Easter eggs, birthday cakes, ice cream days etc etc. I would make it up to her but it isn't the same as being the one in the class to sit and watch as they all swap easter eggs or blow out cake candles etc.

I am sure you will have much the same experience as me.

cheers,

Depending on the school there's also different ways of handling it.
A friend of mine in Melbourne has her step son at a very good private primary. There is a child there who has anaphylatic reactions to various products - particularly nuts. Whilst there are rules in place re no nut food allowed at the school, the extra precaution has been taken of having this child eat seperately every day. Child is allowed to choose a lunch buddy each day - it's been made into a really big deal to be chosen as the buddy (so a "cool" thing rather than a "weirdo" thing).

i used to go to school with a girl who had a severe bee allergy. she used to carry her pen in a special flat pouch under her shirt so no one every knew it was there unless she showed them.

the schools are very good nowadays. no nuts are allowed and the teachers are very strict about "not" sharing food. they did this also in preschool so the kids grew up not sharing - although i suspect the odd swap sneaks thru.

G'day Gordon

As a follow on from my previous post, there is a new pen coming to replace the epipen.

http://www.anapen.co.uk/

Link to the site

It has just been released and they are still training people in its use, so probably won't be readily available for a while. Don't have any other details but your doctor will be able to help you when it is out.

Slim:)

G'day Gordon

As a follow on from my previous post, there is a new pen coming to replace the epipen.

http://www.anapen.co.uk/

Link to the site

It has just been released and they are still training people in its use, so probably won't be readily available for a while. Don't have any other details but your doctor will be able to help you when it is out.

It looks much the same size as the epipen and if anything it seems a little more complex to use.

Do you know if it has any advantages over the epipen?

Sorry Simon

Can't tell you anything about the pen.

Mother in Law had epipen, far as I know she still has one.

You'd hope the new one was easier to use, not harder

If they are replacing epipens the docs will have to know how they work and be able to explain it. I hope

I wait until the 2nd day and introduce myself to the teacher. I show them the trainer, explain the allergies and my expectations that a priority ambulance be called if treatment is needed. Give them a copy of the Allergist's management plan and have my kids photo and laminated plan hung in the teacher's lounge.

I explain to the teachers that there is no emu parade or birthday parties for my kid. He has his own lollies the teacher keeps sepatate so that he isn't left out. My kid is told to refuse food from all other sources than his lunchbox.

Get used to it 12 years of it to come!

Agree that schools are now very aware of the issues and all school staff are trained in the use of an Epipen and proper procedures to follow. Children are talked to about sharing food but it's important the child knows what they cannot eat as children offer to share their chips etc.

Our school (and I assume most if not all) are nut free. We tell parents, it's in the newsletter etc. I check kids lunches at the beginning of the year and let parents know if they "mistakenly" give something containing nuts.

Children's photos are displayed in the staffroom and photos are printed on a sheet to be placed in all class rolls.

Parents usually provide an alternative food (lollies, wheat free cake etc) for when children bring in birthday cake or for treats etc.

I wait until the 2nd day and introduce myself to the teacher. I show them the trainer, explain the allergies and my expectations that a priority ambulance be called if treatment is needed. Give them a copy of the Allergist's management plan and have my kids photo and laminated plan hung in the teacher's lounge.

Surely all this should be done prior to the child walking through the school gates. At the school I work in all medical issues are sorted out with the enrolment forms (well before school attendance) - and I am at a high school.

What happens if disaster strikes on Day 1?
Marg

I explain to the teachers that there is no emu parade or birthday parties for my kid. He has his own lollies the teacher keeps sepatate so that he isn't left out. My kid is told to refuse food from all other sources than his lunchbox.

Get used to it 12 years of it to come!

You sound like such a caring soul :rolleyes:

GG

Back