My Subdivision Diary

Hi Evisional,

Wondering how you are progressing with this sub-division?

I have a question.
I am looking at purchasing a block of land in Mount Waverley with plans and permits.
The plans have been endorsed by the council. I understand the owner will enter into a s173 agreement with the council and pay bonds to the service authorities accordingly. My question is, if i buy the block of land, does the owner receive the bonds back once i have completed the construction of the house and met the appropriate conditions? Or do i need to cover the bonds somehow?

Thanks

I am going to build the rear unit.

However, I want to make some changes inside the house i.e reduce the size of the lounge by changing the partition wall, and change the location of the bedroom's door. Can I make these changes without informing the Council?

I am going to build the rear unit.

However, I want to make some changes inside the house i.e reduce the size of the lounge by changing the partition wall, and change the location of the bedroom's door. Can I make these changes without informing the Council?

I'd be contacting a building surveyor about this. If they're load bearing walls then it could be a big job to do this. Best get an assessment done first.

Awesome thread ! Congratulations !

How long did the overall process take ? From start of subdivision until house is built ? Around 18 months ?

I'm looking to do the same in the future, sounds like an awful loads of work :eek:
It's good to see what others have gone through

Took me 6 months for townplanning approval and about 4 months for subdivision. How was built around 8-9 months. Some delay is due to the fact that I am not active to handle the process or did not make firm decision.

Hi Evisional,

Wondering how you are progressing with this sub-division?

I have a question.
I am looking at purchasing a block of land in Mount Waverley with plans and permits.
The plans have been endorsed by the council. I understand the owner will enter into a s173 agreement with the council and pay bonds to the service authorities accordingly. My question is, if i buy the block of land, does the owner receive the bonds back once i have completed the construction of the house and met the appropriate conditions? Or do i need to cover the bonds somehow?

Thanks

Generally when a bond is paid by a land owner, the new landowner will keep the benefit, unless there is a condition in the contract that says that you will reimburse the owner.

I have purchased such sites previously, and we received the bonds once the work was completed.

Once recommendation I would add, is to check the storm water design. I normally buy sites, obtain plans and then build them. We bought a site in Eltham that had plans but the storm water was not approved. We budgeted $15k it cost $85k for the storm water system.

Good luck.

Tigerboy is right. The bond will normally be returned to new owner once the Council conditions are satisfied. In the sales agreement, the vendor may require buyer to pay the offer price + bonds.

Hi

I am going to do the landscape in accordance to the certified landscape plan to get the bond back from the Council (previously, I have signed the section 173).

Builder told me just buy trees and grow them in accordance to the certified plan. Other people told me that I need a licensed landscaper to do the job.

Do I require licensed landscaper?

Generally when a bond is paid by a land owner, the new landowner will keep the benefit, unless there is a condition in the contract that says that you will reimburse the owner.

I have purchased such sites previously, and we received the bonds once the work was completed.

Once recommendation I would add, is to check the storm water design. I normally buy sites, obtain plans and then build them. We bought a site in Eltham that had plans but the storm water was not approved. We budgeted $15k it cost $85k for the storm water system.

Good luck.

i checked the stormwater design and whilst its costly, its not that costly. Guess we got a little bit lucky in that way.

It was agreed in the contract that we pay the purchase price plus the bond, so we will get that back after everything is finished.

It is a long process, we should receive title shortly and actually be able to settle soon. At least the builder is itching to get going as soon as the land settles!

Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone knows how long the subdivision takes to be approved?
Not the whole process, just once the documentation is lodged (with the titles office im guessing) and the subdivision is approved? We are building in Monash council.

Just note a lesson for myself.

Next time, sign a building contract up to lockup stage as the rest is just electricity, plaster, kitchen, painting. It will save a lot money.

Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone knows how long the subdivision takes to be approved?
Not the whole process, just once the documentation is lodged (with the titles office im guessing) and the subdivision is approved? We are building in Monash council.

3 months for town planning approval
3 months for subdivision approval

Back