My very cheap floor solution is lasting well

This is the floor in the kitchen area of the warehouse flat at home we have on Airbnb.
The place has great, old hardwood floors, but I needed something easier to clean (with no gaps) in the kitchen area. And I wanted something that didn't stand out.
So I put down Masonite underlay and finished it with tung oil floor stuff.
It's been down just on three years now and looks the same as it did when it went down. It was a very cheap solution - less than $100.

Attachments

• floor 1.jpg
    floor 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 421
  • floor 2.jpg
    floor 2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 383
Masonite is great and has been around forever. It's very hard wearing - perfect for fixing to a shabby timber floor. Just fill any low spots. I like the look of it, too.
Bunnings sell it in sheets 1200 x 900 for about $12 per sheet. I fixed it with nails at 100mm centres around the edges and at 300 intervals in the middle.

This is the floor in the kitchen area of the warehouse flat at home we have on Airbnb.
The place has great, old hardwood floors, but I needed something easier to clean (with no gaps) in the kitchen area. And I wanted something that didn't stand out.
So I put down Masonite underlay and finished it with tung oil floor stuff.
It's been down just on three years now and looks the same as it did when it went down. It was a very cheap solution - less than $100.

Hey - I like that bench with the gazillion drawers!

Left over from the warehouse, I am guessing?

The drawer units came out of the local high school. They were renovating their science labs and tossing out the 60s/70s made cupboards. I took five of them. Two are downstairs in the art studio, and three are upstairs in the Airbnb pad. I joined the three together as a big island bench on wheels and put a ply top on them. The bench is probably 3400 x 900. It's a nice thing and as I tell people, if they happen to be travelling with, say, a thermoprobe, there is a labelled drawer they can stick it in.

The drawer units came out of the local high school. They were renovating their science labs and tossing out the 60s/70s made cupboards. I took five of them. Two are downstairs in the art studio, and three are upstairs in the Airbnb pad. I joined the three together as a big island bench on wheels and put a ply top on them. The bench is probably 3400 x 900. It's a nice thing and as I tell people, if they happen to be travelling with, say, a thermoprobe, there is a labelled drawer they can stick it in.

Nice - I like furniture that is a little bit different. Bit of character and history....

Back