My wonderful tenants

Sheriff turned up yesterday to evict tenants and locksmith changed the locks. Tenants weren't there but the place looked just how it would on any given day. Agents drive past late in the day to see them in the property. Once the PM gives all info to the police they drive past the house and the neighbour tells the agent she just missed them. Agents triple checked the new locks and left. I had someone local drive past this evening and the tenants are in there just relaxing, watching tv. I called the police and I assume they'll pay them a visit sometime in the next 24 hours or so.

Anyone else had tenants re enter the house after eviction?

stop calling them tenants
they are burglars,
when you report break and enter, report "break and enter and the burglars are in the property"
fax the order and the sheriff document to the police station

you call them tenants, you tell the police they have right to enter the property

Once the PM gives all info to the police they drive past the house and the neighbour tells the agent she just missed them. Agents triple checked the new locks and left
windows, ceiling hatch, was someone at the manager's stupid enough to give them a key; happens before happens again, after all you still call them tenants. . . .. .. ..

Hi Beachgurl,
What area is your property located in? If it's a busy area for the police it may be worth your while going in to see the police with your property manager. If there is a police crew available they may attend your property with you and you can get it sorted quicker. Harder to put the issue off as a low priority job if you are there in person asking for help. If it's a ridiculously busy area or day for the police this may not work as this will be seen as a quite low priority as compared to serious/life threatening incidents. Worth a try though.

Hi Beachgurl, the only time I locked someone out, they came back that night with a different locksmith and informed them that they had lost their keys and paid to have the locks open and key cut. When i found out I had the locks changed again, contacted the tenant and their locksmith and told them that next time they would be charged with trespass and break and entrance. It worked.

I had a tenant evicted via sheriff last week,same scenario,tenants were not there,locks were changed with a heap of tenants stuff still inside,strange thing here is the tenant can still apply for entry after the fact to move their things,i believe its 48 hours after the eviction.They picked and chose what they wanted to take,their take pile got a few kicks with my steel caps,and the rest went to the dump.I was not there when the police came around again looking for the tenants boyfriend on a outstanding warrant.........Karma

I've had it happen a few times..

Although usually there's a broken window, cheaper than a locksmith (for the tenant anyway, cause they've already forfeited their bond).

Evictions can get quite nasty. They don't occur very often but no one likes them when they do. By that time the tenants have (in most cases) had multiple chances to remedy breaches and catch up on payment plans - they are the last resort.

In our company, we send the guys out on evictions along with a baliff, a locksmith and sometimes the police. Over the years, we've had company cars smashed with base ball bats, property managers quitting on the spot due to personal threats by tenants, tenants locking themselves back in after a baliff eviction is common - we treat it as trespassing - press charges on tenant as they do not have a lease or a right to be there.

Property managers in the USA carry guns to all inspections and evictions - hope it does not get to that stage in Australia but it really is not a very nice phase of property management.

Thanks for your replies. The tenants weren't there when the police turned up.

No word from the tenants to collect their things so we have to wait out the 14 days. Way too much stuff in there to move it into one room/garage and start cleaning the place up ready fur relisting. Their dogs are still there too.

I reckon they've probably spent the weekend looking for a property and are using my place for free storage til they have somewhere else to move to.

Its been a while since we got this far, however I recall the police visited the tenants prior to the eviction, and discussed what the eviction notice entailed. At that time it entailed them being removed from the premises, and their good placed on the footpath for them to deal with. The only time we turned up to a vacant property, we found out that the attending officer had been there a few days earlier, and taken the tenant to jail for unpaid fines.

Why do you have to wait out 14 days?

Its been a while since we got this far, however I recall the police visited the tenants prior to the eviction, and discussed what the eviction notice entailed. At that time it entailed them being removed from the premises, and their good placed on the footpath for them to deal with. The only time we turned up to a vacant property, we found out that the attending officer had been there a few days earlier, and taken the tenant to jail for unpaid fines.

That's the rule in NSW. Have to leave items at property in case they want to collect them.

Do you have to leave items there or can you put them in storage?

We have the same retarded law here in SA.After eviction they still have 48 hours to collect their goods,anything of value needs to be stored at your cost for 30 days,then dumped.Can get very expensive for the sake of a $290 LL Policy,I am pretty sure the above is correct,i am sure i will get corrected :) Xenia IM

Beachuirl: call the pound to have the dogs removed in case something happens to them.

The agent was going to call the pound today.

Do you have to leave items there or can you put them in storage?

I'm not sure if I have to leave them on the premises but by the time I employ a removalist to pack and load everything and then pay for a storage facility the cost would well outweigh 2 weeks lost rent.

I'm not sure if I have to leave them on the premises but by the time I employ a removalist to pack and load everything and then pay for a storage facility the cost would well outweigh 2 weeks lost rent.

I think the agent has the call on the value of the items,if removing and storing outweighs the value of the goods,you can dump them.Still an expensive option though.

Back