MyGov

When we were all forced to sign up for MyGov we were conned. And conned with no Plan B it now seems.

Today I received a text message telling me I have mail in my inbox. Months after creating the MyGov account.
- Can I recall my username (A hieroglyphic of numbers and letters I cant change) ? No
- Can I recall my password ? No

The wonderful message now informs me that the ATO wont mail me letters any more. Hope they don't want to send me a audit request ? They wont send me a notice of assessment either...Its going to MyGov. BUT... If I want to make it easier I can sign up for a Australia Post digital mainbox. They actually admit it would make it easier for me. Yeah sure would cause MyGov is shitehouse.

So they don't want to use mail. They know MyGov sucks. But they wont allow me any choice, I must pay to use another aweful AusPost service cause they cant afford stamps. They wont send me a email either. Unless I pay AusPost to act as middleman for my tax records !! Like. ****ing. Hell.

WHAT A FRIGGING JOKE. I cant opt out. I cant have reminders go to email. But I can sign up for a Australia Post service to make it happen.

I wish I could send a message to their inbox.

Apparently all those who learned of the etax MyGov bypass in 2014 will face the dreaded bank account and identity test restricted to ID docs within the past two years AND will be forced to do Medicare Online at the same time. Their whole family.

Its just a timing delay DT.

Forced?

Never heard of it and never signed up.

MyGov is like facebook for Govt services. They give you a numbered username you cant choose (or remember). Its a one stop necessaity for all Govt services and growing. But it sucks worse than facebook and there is nobody you would like or have as a friend.

You must crawl through a minefield to be validated. (Question what date did you last visit a Doctor. I'm not kidding)

Just to login I was asked what was the name of the primary school I attended. I couldn't remember how I typed it and it punted me although spelt correctly. Retrying ...the colour of my first car was easier.

I just checked- No I cant cancel or purge a MyGov identity. Its not allowed.

I have had good myGov experiences. I lodged my tax return through the ATO e-tax and got the refund notification through myGov. It would good to know there is a message waiting though. I'm not logging in every week.

Second experience was rolling over an unused superfund into my active super fund. I just ticked a couple of boxes and clicked a couple buttons and a few days later the funds were in my active account. That is so much quicker and easier than the old system of filling out forms and getting ID certified etc. :mad:

Don't forget your login details though. My flatmate did and the account can't be recovered. He had to open a new account. Too bad if there were messages in the old account. No account recovery is a bit stupid.

Second experience was rolling over an unused superfund into my active super fund. I just ticked a couple of boxes and clicked a couple buttons and a few days later the funds were in my active account. That is so much quicker and easier than the old system of filling out forms and getting ID certified etc. :mad:

CBA did this for me already. They sent me a letter with a list of super funds i didnt even remember having, and just had to tick box which ones I wanted to bring into my Super (which is at CBA). That was all that was required. The CBA balance went up accordingly not long afterwards.

When we were all forced to sign up for MyGov we were conned. And conned with no Plan B it now seems.

Today I received a text message telling me I have mail in my inbox. Months after creating the MyGov account.
- Can I recall my username (A hieroglyphic of numbers and letters I cant change) ? No
- Can I recall my password ? No

The wonderful message now informs me that the ATO wont mail me letters any more. Hope they don't want to send me a audit request ? They wont send me a notice of assessment either...Its going to MyGov. BUT... If I want to make it easier I can sign up for a Australia Post digital mainbox. They actually admit it would make it easier for me. Yeah sure would cause MyGov is shitehouse.

So they don't want to use mail. They know MyGov sucks. But they wont allow me any choice, I must pay to use another aweful AusPost service cause they cant afford stamps. They wont send me a email either. Unless I pay AusPost to act as middleman for my tax records !! Like. ****ing. Hell.

WHAT A FRIGGING JOKE. I cant opt out. I cant have reminders go to email. But I can sign up for a Australia Post service to make it happen.

I wish I could send a message to their inbox.

Australia Post's digital mailbox is actually free or at least they did not charge me anything when registered...

CBA did this for me already. They sent me a letter with a list of super funds i didnt even remember having, and just had to tick box which ones I wanted to bring into my Super (which is at CBA). That was all that was required. The CBA balance went up accordingly not long afterwards.
That's good service. For one of mine, I had to apply 3 times. In the end they only gave it up because I lobbed in to the office to find out what was going on. I got the 3rd degree about why I would want to move a pathetic $2,600 of super to another account. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy at the time I was salary sacrificing $4,000 a month into super! (short term of course).

Anyway, MyGov sent me an email today that there was a message in my inbox. So at least that side of things works. To log in, I had to use an SMS code, so I didn't have to know the answers to my secret questions that I have forgotten.

I have had good myGov experiences. I lodged my tax return through the ATO e-tax and got the refund notification through myGov. It would good to know there is a message waiting though. I'm not logging in every week.

Don't forget your login details though. My flatmate did and the account can't be recovered. He had to open a new account. Too bad if there were messages in the old account. No account recovery is a bit stupid.

They now send a text msg to recover username and PW. Poor security in my opinion.

Australia Post's digital mailbox is actually free or at least they did not charge me anything when registered...

I don't care if its free. Its illogical.

They wont send me a email or a printed notice but they will send it to AusPost who send it to me. Its like having your gmail sent to yahoo with no other option.

Those letters can be very dangerous. I believe they should be banned or changed so that they make disclosure before people act. Lost insurance is one mistake people don't consider until afterwards. Industry funds send them all the time and they are specific advice to rollover. Unlicensed advice.

All those funds are doing is checking the Lost Super search with ATO. IMO they are misusing the tax file number quoted for another purpose.

I got an email saying there was a message in my myGov inbox too.

This was the message dated 1/4/2015
Welcome and thank you for joining ATO communications online. You will now start to receive some of your ATO mail in your myGov Inbox.

Your myGov Inbox will be the way we deliver most of your ATO communications however you may still receive some communications from the ATO through the post, SMS or email.

The types of communication you may receive to your myGov Inbox include:
- notices, such as notices of assessment
- statements of account
- confirmation and reminder notices, or
- providing or requesting information.

You will receive an email or SMS notification from myGov when you have mail in your Inbox. You can change how you receive these notifications within your myGov account settings under Inbox preferences.

Read our terms and conditions to learn more about how we use the myGov Inbox.

If you have any questions about electronic communications from the ATO or you have a registered BAS Agent or Tax Agent, visit ATO communications online.

Are your contact details up-to-date? Why not check on ATO Online today.

Regards
Commissioner of Taxation

I don't ever recall joining the communications online..... there needs to be an opt out of this crap.

I hated it. Too hard to sign up and yet another password and 15 digit number to try and remember.

The worst part was they FORCED you to sign up if you wanted to use Etax. If enough people had refused and just completed their return on the old paper form it would have generated so much more work for the ATO and the stupid process may have been changed.

Both hubby & I Received an email from myGov that we have a messages there from ATO. It's probably the same messag as Nek posted earlier on this thread.

I might be dum, but why not send the message directly to the email? They clearly have our email addresses.

We've had MyGov since its inception and like it.

After the initial sign up process, we have access to all our relevant govt agencies in one online portal.

Set up is a typical long winded process similar to banks but once you get through that its runs okay.

We can update, claim & adjust all our family Centrelink Payment benefits we receive.

Also claim all our medicare related expenses back such doctors bills & medical treatment received.

Basically, its a convenient way to go about conducting affairs with the relevant govt agencies we deal with, without having to visit their offices or having to wait on hold using the phone.

Last edited:
Back