Names issue

Anyone else has this issue??

Being asian its quite common to have more than one middle name and we read/write our name being surname first, followed by middle, follow by first name. So I get given S**T constantly for having my names displayed middle than first even if I fill all forms correctly under first name, last name, middle, etc - But I cannot control how the company chooses to display my name.

My dad recently passed away and I was in the process of recording that he is deceased on the title of my parent's house. Unfortunately the title has his middle name as first and first name as middle and of course that does not match the death certificate - but everything is spelt correctly, just the arrangement. Other than the shear stupidity of it - how the hell do I go fixing the mess they made in the first place? *hmmmph*

Mind you same thing happened when my mum came in the country, they entered her DOB incorrectly 30 years ago, even though every other documentation had her correct DOB, she changed her DOB to match their database and finally got an australian citizenship. They couldn't process her, so she couldn't leave the country, its ridiculous.

Being asian its quite common to have more than one middle name and we read/write our name being surname first, followed by middle, follow by first name. So I get given S**T constantly for having my names displayed middle than first even if I fill all forms correctly under first name, last name, middle, etc - But I cannot control how the company chooses to display my name.

Can I ask what country you are referring to as my wife is philipina and she says her name is the correct way.
One thing is funny though her fathers first name is Joemarie,son of Joe and Marie :D

Our daughter was born last year and when we got her birth certificate she was listed as a boy.That took some sorting out

Hi Perchy

Sorry to hear about your dad.

These sorts of things often happen with middle names missing and maident names etc and the Land Titles Office usually needs a statutory declaration from the person saying they are the same person as xxxx. Unfortunately your dad cannot provide this, but maybe the trustee of the estate can. You should probably talk to land titles about it, or your solicitor.

I met someone (Chinese) with a one letter surname! :eek:

He said he had hell trying to open a bank account because:

1. they wouldn't believe him
2. the computer system wouldn't let them enter a single character in the surname field (record length check error...)

The Y-man

Have a friend who has problems like you mention.
He is from HK and I believe most Chinese have last name first.
Interesting the Chinese also reverse there magazines, instead of opening
the first page to the left they open it to the right.

There are many different ways of writing Chinese names in English.
eg Mandarin pronounciation/cantonese/other etc

and then you can join the two first names or separate them by a space or put a hyphen in there too.

All this can create mulitple identities.

Think of the postive side, no all loan enquiries will be listed on the craa!!!!

On the note of being Chinese we were dealing with someone with only a first name, not last name.

First time I have seen it.

Interesting.

My dad recently passed away and I was in the process of recording that he is deceased on the title of my parent's house. Unfortunately the title has his middle name as first and first name as middle and of course that does not match the death certificate - but everything is spelt correctly, just the arrangement. Other than the shear stupidity of it - how the hell do I go fixing the mess they made in the first place? *hmmmph*

If the land is held as Joint Tenants, I believe a Statutory Declaration would be required by the surviving Joint Tenant, in this case, your mother. Doesn't need to be too long, just explaining that the person named on the Title, are one and the same as the person named on the Death Certificate. The Stat Dec would accompany the Form 4 Request to Record Death.

If the land is held as Tenants in Common, then a similar Statutory Declaration would be required by the executor of the will.

Thank you Helix,

I have been told to do that numerous times by the titles office, but when I went to submit was refused the stat dec.

Aparently my dad did a stat dec that his name was middle then first - one look at the paperwork and I can see a certain conveyancy firm advised him to do so because of the naming mistake on his aus citizenship cert - which you think be the first route they would advise him to fix first.

Mind you this is the same firm that represented my bank when i was buying my 2nd property - they managed to get the paperwork just so that my partner was liable for the mortgage but had no title ownership over the property.

Aparently my dad did a stat dec that his name was middle then first - one look at the paperwork and I can see a certain conveyancy firm advised him to do so because of the naming mistake on his aus citizenship cert - which you think be the first route they would advise him to fix first.

All the Titles Office would need to make sure of, is that Person A (on title) is the same person as Person B (on the Death Certificate). As long as you are giving them the Statutory Declaration that says this, there shouldn't be a problem.

On what grounds did they refuse the stat dec?

Hi Helix,

On the grounds that there was already a stat dec by person A. Thanks for your feedback, the titles office has advised me of an alternative, just a matter to see when and if it goes through though.

I have Indonesian immigration clients with one name only.

I have 2 such clients at the moment:- Erni and Erifina.

Makes form filling interesting but Dept. of Immigration seems to handle it.

Back