Nasty Tenant Yarn

Here’s a nasty tenant story for you I heard today involving a Property Manager as well; though not in the way you’d normally expect.

Turns out a young guy is going through some personal as well as financial dramas and needed to sell up his PPoR that he had recently rented out; to what appeared to be an ideal tenant.

After all the tenant was a Property Manager and involved in a real estate business partner in the good side of town (wherever that is).

The tenant had clued onto the fact that his financial situation was getting drastic and when his property went onto the market the tenant put in a low-ball offer that was promptly rejected, apparently drastic is not desperate in his case.

A potential purchaser, who saw the property listed on the net, spoke to the selling agent and being quiet keen on the deal, the property and its location, flew over from the eastern states to view the property. A good call on the purchaser’s part, as when they looked it over, it was nothing like the photos on the net, the gardens were all dug up and the property was an absolute mess, with a few choice &%##!!! ‘s They beat a hasty retreat.

Bring on the courts and the complications therein, however, the other week they showed up at the appointed hour bailiff in tow to find the tenant in situ and refusing to leave. The bailiff gave the tenant a few hrs to pack and depart whilst they waited; they said anything not removed would be secured by the locksmith sitting in his car waiting nearby. &^%%$$ !! you and the horse you rode in on said the tenant to Mr Bailiff, I’ll burn this place down (see, not an ideal tenant).

In came the Big Blue Machine and Mr Johnny Hopper who was able to enforce the required events and once the majority (though not all) of the goods were removed and locks were changed all the good guys departed

Here’s a nasty tenant story for you I heard today involving a Property Manager as well; though not in the way you’d normally expect.

Turns out a young guy is going through some personal as well as financial dramas and needed to sell up his PPoR that he had recently rented out; to what appeared to be an ideal tenant.

After all the tenant was a Property Manager and involved in a real estate business partner in the good side of town (wherever that is).

The tenant had clued onto the fact that his financial situation was getting drastic and when his property went onto the market the tenant put in a low-ball offer that was promptly rejected, apparently drastic is not desperate in his case.

A potential purchaser, who saw the property listed on the net, spoke to the selling agent and being quiet keen on the deal, the property and its location, flew over from the eastern states to view the property. A good call on the purchaser’s part, as when they looked it over, it was nothing like the photos on the net, the gardens were all dug up and the property was an absolute mess, with a few choice &%##!!! ‘s They beat a hasty retreat.

Bring on the courts and the complications therein, however, the other week they showed up at the appointed hour bailiff in tow to find the tenant in situ and refusing to leave. The bailiff gave the tenant a few hrs to pack and depart whilst they waited; they said anything not removed would be secured by the locksmith sitting in his car waiting nearby. &^%%$$ !! you and the horse you rode in on said the tenant to Mr Bailiff, I’ll burn this place down (see, not an ideal tenant).

In came the Big Blue Machine and Mr Johnny Hopper who was able to enforce the required events and once the majority (though not all) of the goods were removed and locks were changed all the good guys departed

Wow.....

My previous tenants at one of my IP's stood their ground on eviction. (this was after all forms, notices and judgements were dealt). Locksmith ready to go. Police involved and still hard to get family out.

In the end they got up and left that night and left all crap everywhere, but also left there plasma flat screen, computers, mobile air conditioners, clothes, and never came back and never got back in contact with the agent.

By law, I had to rent a container for three months just in case they came back for their goods, and 3 months were up on Christmas eve. I apparently own the goods now and can auction them off. I am in discussions with agent to figure out the next step (i.e. picking up / seeing what is good enough to keep)

A bit curious regarding the bloke that flew across from the eastern states. As he was misled with respect to the photos in the pictures (i.e. the pictures on the net were nothing like what he saw), could he have taken the agent to court citing false advertising (or something like that) and seek compensation for at least his flight costs?

I seem to come back to 'ethics' and ethical behaviour.

Cheers,

F

I caught up with the guy at his property yesterday as he's tidying it up trying for a private sale to recoup some of the loss

He showed me some of the external damage caused by the aforementioned tenant, he mentioned that they had also cut pieces of carpet out of the closets to replace internal carpet damage done to other areas throughout the house prior to departure

"Did you have Landlord Insurance" asked I :confused:

"Yeh" he replied, "XXXX Insurance, apparently you are not covered if the tenancy goes from fixed to periodic though" :(

Back