National Investment Institute (NII)

This message is based on my personal experience with this organisation. I just want to highlight some of the events that occured and hopefully by the end of this post, people are a little more informed then previously.

For me it began as a simple information session about property. I was told about this seminar through a friend, who spoke highly of the seminar. He told me that just by going to this seminar you will learn things that is not only easy to understand but the information presented is useful, common sense and implementation is easy with the right learning instruments.

I went to this seminar that my friend so strongly encouraged and must admit, I did learn things I was previously unaware. I learnt a little about deposit bonds, mezzanine and how to accumulate properties relatively easily and in short periods of time.

I filled the questionaire form that was handed out at the start of the night and returned it at the end of the seminar. When leaving the seminar, I spoke to my friend and advised him that although there was good information, I thought the seminar was a bit of a sell. I do not like seminars where they really encourage you to do the course and all they ever do is promote themselves.

The next day, I received a phone call from NII to arrange an appointment and discuss further the information presented at the seminar. I saw this as another opportunity, to learn a little more.

I attended the consultation and was in a small meeting room, that almost felt like an interview. I was provided a questionaire and on this form I completed some section on a scale of 1(lowest) to 10(greatest) on things like "How confident I was to take action" or "My tolerance level of risk" etc etc.

In this interview, the consultant saw my score of 6 for taking action and after working with me for a little while, that 6 became a 10. I was motivated and encouraged. I felt good as he gave me examples and how I was able to relate to them, thinking that I can take almost any action I want. After a lengthy discussion and feeling like I was floating on clouds, confident, fearless of risk and determined; He came up with something like "You can have all this for $100 a week". At that point in time of feeling great, I thought to myself what's $100 a week, when I have been guaranteed my money back if I do not succeed. I started asking a few more questions like:
1) What is the total cost of the course? I was told $15000
2) What exactly do I get for that $15000? I was told 5 seminars some additional information sessions and the huge DVD collection (24 titles from memory)
3) How many properties do you own (the consultant)? I was told a couple, but due to some circumstances he was unable to be fully implement the NII system.

I asked more questions and was still in a state where I wanted to go home and think about it. They pressed on me to sign up and at one point they involved another consultant to also convince me. I still thought I needed time to think about it. After some more persuasion, I decided to sign myself up.

After thinking about it driving home, I sought comfort by calling my friend and telling him about it. He thought I had made a great decision and I would not regret it. That made me feel a little more comfortable. However that night as I reflected on everything that was said and kept thinking about the cost of 15K, I was thinking up strategies on how I can pay this amount off quickly. I also thought that the cost was a bit much for the service that was to be provided.

In the end I cancelled and I was allowed to cancel. I did this immediately the next day. I do not know what would have happened if my deposit was taken. My opinion and advise to others I have listed below.

1) The seminar is the initial soft sell.
2) The consultation is the hard sell. If your the type of person that can be persuaded easily, DON'T GO. If your the type of person who is sceptical (like me), I suggest make your decisions at home where you can really reflect on what was discussed and not having the pressure in the consultation.
3) $15K is an excessive amount of money to be paying for a course. It is actually $20K by the time you pay off the interest over 4 years @ $100/week.
4) If NII was so concerned in educating people, then what is the reason for charging astronomical prices? Universities might charge that sort of money for a 4 years course and that includes text books and alot of lectures/tutorials.
5) Typically property CAN and WILL go down at times. It just so happens that we have seen an excessively long growth in real estate.
6) This leads on to "Expectations" or "Expectations Theory". This assumes that people perceptions of what is occuring now, will continue to do so in the future. If you are unaware of this theory, grab yourself an economics Textbook.
7) Property is not the only wealth generating investment available. Shares have outperformed Real estate in the long run (but I guess that is for discussion in other threads).
8) Assuming you have the so called guarantee, that NII will make you $50K or get a full refund plus an additional $2000, but what happens if you lose $50K? Will NII refund you that money? You see under NII there is never any downside risk. If there is they never make you aware of it.
9) Mezzanine finance is high risk. Do a word search through yahoo etc and when you read into it, you will see that it is not safe as NII make it out to be. High returns usually mean HIGH RISK.
10) Henry Kaye is becoming wealthy, not through his investment strategies but the expensive courses he conducts. I read somewhere in this forum that 1,000 people @ $15K each, provides him with $15Million. A hefty amount for some seminars.
11) I spent $150 on some books and I would probably learn more from them than I could at his seminar.
12) If anyone has been to a NII seminar and they try and convince you to go, know for a fact that these people are receiving a commission of $500. I know this because my friend told me about it. I went along as a favour for him.

Anyway, ultimately it is your own decision. I have gone through some issues in my dealing with NII and my expressed opinions about them. Hopefully some will benefit from my post.

Regards,
Eco...

WOW.

What an absolutely magnificent post.

Thanks Ecomnomic...

Very well done, and thank you...

asy :D

Dear Economic,

Congrats on taking the courage to put up this post. I appreciate you taking this important step.

Feel free to ask for more help anytime mate.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Thanks Economic,

I concur that you've made a great post, and for having the fortitude to express an opinion which to some is not very palatable.

It would seem the major gripe I keep hearing about this course is the cost, not necessarily the quality of the information.

My friend did this course not that long ago when it cost $10K I think. I learned a lot from him "by osmosis" simply by chatting about what he'd learnt. I suspect there are things he has learnt which he hasn't told me, however.

Personally I wouldn't spend $15K on a course. It is simply too much money.

In my friend's case attending the course acted as the catalyst for him "getting off his bum" and doing something. I think he has 5 or 6 properties "on the boil", including some off the plan developments etc.

I therefore liken the NII course perhaps to a Weight Loss Centre. You can read about dieting and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, but often that's not enough to motivate you to do something (eg. if you want to lose weight). A Weight Loss Centre charges you, provides you with similar information, albeit face-to-face, often sells you "diet food", but the biggest difference is they provide more motivation [and encouragement] than most books can provide.

Just like weight-loss centres, some are more economical than others. Some don't require you to buy food, just attend the meetings, etc. Often the degree of information is equivalent, so is the degree of motivation, yet the prices still vary.

All that said, I still don't believe the NII course is worth $15K but I can see the reason for its existence, and the reason people take up the offer. Considering a large percentage of people attending these courses still remain complacent and never do something, I wonder whether these people would have simply been better off placing $15K in a decent managed fund for the next 40 years - at least that would be better than nothing.

As for me, I hope to attend the Steve Navra course in Melb in Feb 2003. The cost? The princely sum of $286.

Kevin.

I had no idea what mezzanine finance was so I looked it up on the net and thought I'd post it for anyone else who was interested. Definition from IFY finance (I think??)

Mezzanine finance is a form of risk capital that combines the characteristics of conventional bank lending and equity funding. It is often used where the provision of traditional bank finance is considered too risky by a lender.
In return for accepting a higher funding risk, the mezzanine lender receives a higher rate of interest and a stake in the company’s equity. Mezzanine provides a distinct advantage to a company’s shareholders as it is less dilutive than traditional forms of equity investment.

Traditionally mezzanine has been used to bridge a funding gap in conventional management buy-outs and buy-ins. Times have changed. Mezzanine finance can now also be considered a stand alone funding solution, often as an alternative to more expensive equity finance. Mezzanine is now commonly used to provide acquisition finance, development capital, replacement capital as well as finance for the more traditional management buy-out, buy-in scenarios.

For this system to work do you borrow heavily using mezzanine finance, hold property for 2 years and then sell at a profit and therefore repaying loan and making a profit??

Thanks for that Economic - a very interesting read.
I'm just glad you had the option of cancelling the next day.

I would never pay $15,000 for a seminar - that is enough money for a deposit on a (small) property.

Lily

Great Detail, thanks

Very informative Econonomic.... thanks,

I have a cousin who went through a number of levels of the HK's NII courses, and even worked for someone in the group to do so. Within 12 months he was absolutely sick of working for them, seperated from his wife... but yet absolutely defended the idea of spending $7 - 17,000 on them. My impression was he was brainwashed. He didn't like their ethics, he hadn't been able to put their system into work, and his life was a mess, but still he thought the courses were the best thing out. Unbelievable.

I have taken one of this forums (NigelW's) law of investment courses: (which is loosely)
Never spend more than 1-2% of your net worth on any financial training or education process.

I'm sure there are exceptions... but I think it's a gem. And when I and my family are worth 1.5 million, I'll think about spending $15k on a course... maybe. Until then, I'll stick with mining this forum for more gems, and 'investing' in some of the $20-30 books that cover the financial sections of the bookshops.
Cheers
Luke

Hi Eco

A good Post and plenty of courage.

A friend of mine asked me to go with him to a NII course about nine months ago.

Valued at $65 (I think) but free on this night etc.,

The conference consisted of watching a video presentation for 1 1/2 hours, not live nor any live speaker, just a video. I stayed for its entirety but watched at least 100 people or about 50% walk out progressively during the evening. Of those who remained I believe that most considered it a joke.

The punch line at the end was the course, valued at $35,000 to $40,000 but you can have it for $17,000 if you sign up within a week. etc., etc.. We will ring you and decide if we will accept you.

Two months ago, in a moment of weakness I agreed to go to a second conference but this time all about commercial investment.

To my surprise, we were told several things:

NII have only been in existence a short while and investing in residential real estate for 4 1/2 years

Six months ago, they "discovered" commercial Real Estate and now realise the huge amounts of money they didn't make and lost on residential and are now into commercial in a big way. Six months and now "experts", crap.

The whole point was that they now know how a valuer values Commercial Real Estate and they can now "work the system".

We were given a very expensive glossy promotion selling a Melbourns CBD property. I didn't wait till the end this time and walked out.

You made the right decision Eco. You can invest your money far more wisely elsewhere.

Regards

Ross

NII Graduate

I've just completed Investment Mastery. It's bloody great and here's why.

1) They are a results oriented organisation. You learn from and emulate people with a track record in property.
2) They get heavily into the details you need at every stage of a project saving valuable time.
3) The manual is well written, an excellent reference.
4) Support and ongoing meetings keep you mixing with like minded investors.
5) The IM weekend was packed with Real Estate Agents, property developers, builders, accountants, investors - a great mix of movers and shakers.

Choosing this course was a huge and agonising decision for me, but I can see now that for me it was worthwhile. Of course you need to be serious and you need to have the mindset, time and energy to implement.

Be like Henry and learn from everyone! My next investment will be Somersoft PIA software.

Cheers,

So 091202 you turn up to this forum without bothering to inform us of your experience,location or name other than a bunch of numbers.

Do you REALLY expect anyone to take you seriously in your advertising?? Give us some solid information to go on, for example how you have personally used this great information to further your property investment. Location of properties, price paid, yield expected, cap growth, etc.

Get a life, stop spamming, and contribute if you wish to be listened to in any way.

bye

Re: NII Graduate

Originally posted by 091202
Choosing this course was a huge and agonising decision for me, but I can see now that for me it was worthwhile. Of course you need to be serious and you need to have the mindset, time and energy to implement.

OK "date",

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt, I'll believe you aren't spamming :D

Questions for you:

What did you LEARN?

What was the pearl of wisdom that was worth the $$?

I am not being facetious, and I agree, HK's methods CAN suit some people, but I believe that they will, in the long run, harm more than they help. But that's just my opinion, prove me wrong! please!!

Also, just a comment, you may get more sympathy for your posts if you include a name, not just a date. This level of anonymity really induces suspicion! :)

Hi Date

I won't comment further on NII. I am suspicious of your comments.

I agree that your investment in a PIA program will be most beneficial.

I have been using PIA for a decade from when it was very simple and initially ran in Dos (I think) and have bought and upgraded every version since then to the most recent and current version.

I use it many times per week, have compared it with many others and while others may have some features which are attractive, I have found nothing that can really hold a candle to PIA.

That will be a good investment for you.

Regards

Ross

There's nothing than turns me off attending courses such as the NII's as much as anonymous posters extolling their value.

If a real NII graduate would like to step forward, name themselves and have coffee with me and was still willing to say how much value the NII has provided to them I'd be more inclined to believe it.....

Any takers? I'll pay for the coffee!

Hey moderators, any way to track down the IP of 091202 and find out who they are? I'd find it very interesting if they were posting from the NII's offices or such.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Do you really think that any NII graduate would dare show their face here after the villification that occurs everytime this topic is raised ?

I think you should all take a very close look at your motives and the way you present yourselves. Economic posted a very well thought out and considered post - do we want to spoil that effort ?

Sure, "date" posted something which smells a little like spam - or at least bait - but it was well written and not abusive - and all of a sudden we're in attack mode again.

I suggest we all need to learn to stop the cynicism and the negativity - we are starting to become a rather clique oriented forum, which is not good for anyone. Are people not entitled to their own opinion ?

Consider this a warning - posts which attack other posts or other people (as opposed to just questioning them in a reasonable manner) will be deleted.

And no, I am not interested in tracing the IP address ! Who really cares ? There are much more important things in life you should be worrying about !

Sim,

I think you're reading too much into my message (and possibly others)

I'd love to question an NII graduate in a reasonable manner. Preferably face-to-face over coffee as this is the best way to really get an understanding of a system.

Personally I have no opinion on the NII, except the poor impression I get from anonymous posters, which I get on ANY TOPIC on which there are anonymous posters.

I'm surprised to hear about the villification of the NII on the forum, I haven't been on the forum long enough to have seen this.

091202 if you have fears about your safety on this forum, message me privately or email me. I want to hear what you think.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi Acy

Just a quick notation. This figures you put in for an IP address (IP of 091202) is not an IP Address. The normal view of IP addresses are 1-3 numbers followed by a "." in this style.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or it could be xxx.x.xx.xxx as long as there are dot's and that the number does not exceed 255.255.255.255

Cheers
Robert

Robert,

I didn't put in any IP addresses & know how they're formatted - I'm in the industry BTW :)

I suggest you reread the posts a little closer.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

OK,

I agree with Sim, and I apologise to date if my post sounded sarcastic in any way, it wasnt meant to be...

I am truly interested in what you learned in the course.

I have heard many people say "it's fantastic", but whenever they are asked exactly what they learned, they can't say.

Now, I understand that you can't always remember everything when asked (I don't either!!), but I just wanted the broad outline of what it taught.

Also, I think a copy of PIA will do wonders for you. It is very good. :)

Back