Native plant seedling in Perth for Tula's fabulous garden.

So, I'm planning a clean up of the front yard at the soon-to-be-mine IP.

I'll be putting in the hard yakka myself, but need to source native seedlings I can plant in around a month. Town of Basssendean will give 30 subsidised seedlings, but not til June; I will get those and use them out the back or at home.

Anyone know where I can source in bulk a variety of native plants? Please don't say Bunnings! or the cheapie nursery at Wattle Grove, their plants die (and I'm an excellent gardener).

Will you get more rent if you clean it up? Do garden work sparingly for a rental.

Make sure there is retic if you want it to stay alive and then just grass, mulch and shrubby things that are hard to kill eg rhoeo, agapanthus, liriopes, mother in law tongue, hedgy ones......

So, I'm planning a clean up of the front yard at the soon-to-be-mine IP.

I'll be putting in the hard yakka myself, but need to source native seedlings I can plant in around a month. Town of Basssendean will give 30 subsidised seedlings, but not til June; I will get those and use them out the back or at home.

Anyone know where I can source in bulk a variety of native plants? Please don't say Bunnings! or the cheapie nursery at Wattle Grove, their plants die (and I'm an excellent gardener).

The time to plant is when it starts raining in Perth. Probably May/June. Bassendean library may have some brochures on what plants grow best in your area. Or look onlIne. I wouldn't expect any new plants to stay alive in Perth in a rental though.

Per dollar or hour you spend on this, how much will it improve what the bank valuer thinks of it and what a tenant will shell out for it?

Per dollar or hour you spend on this, how much will it improve what the bank valuer thinks of it and what a tenant will shell out for it?

A good point - if you are going for a valuation then gardens will help, but as DT says it needs to be in line with dolllar for return.

If you need examples of how to tart up a back yard for val purposes, I am sure drager would love for you to come round and have a look at his, I hear he makes a mean Nescafe Blend 43.

IMHO forget a fancy garden for an IP. The yard should be grass or concrete (and buffalo is about as low maintenance as you can get). You cannot expect tenants to have the same enthusiasm for gardening as you.

Yard maintenance should consist of just mowing -- nothing else: no digging, trimming, weeding, mulching, wood chips. Tenants might have a mower but not a trimmer. It's hard getting the mower out but once the it is, doing everything is fast. Zoom zoom.

You seem to be getting VERY emotionally attached to this IP.

IMHO forget a fancy garden for an IP. The yard should be grass or concrete (and buffalo is about as low maintenance as you can get). You cannot expect tenants to have the same enthusiasm for gardening as you.

Yard maintenance should consist of just mowing -- nothing else: no digging, trimming, weeding, mulching, wood chips. Tenants might have a mower but not a trimmer. It's hard getting the mower out but once the it is, doing everything is fast. Zoom zoom.

You seem to be getting VERY emotionally attached to this IP.

Yep!!! Tula, maybe you should sell your half of your PPor to hubby snd use as IP and move into Your new IP.

nice one, thanks

can you force your tenant to water?

Indirectly you can. You can include a condition in your tenancy agreement that gardens must be maintained to the current standard. So if they fail to do that, it's a breach. I've had this issue in the past, and ended up getting money out of their bond at the end of the lease to pay for new plants etc.

So we weren't out of pocket, but the garden was still left to ruin. Unless you're going to employ a gardener, or do it yourself, I agree with the others, keep it low, low maintenance.

Definitely going to keep it low maintenance, plan now is to try and grow from seed, and plant in my garden at PPoR. Am just a bit bored right now.

there are a few shrubs to cut back and a garden along the front of ht house that I will take all the plants from for PPoR garden, am sure they will die with a tenant.

Will review once I've hacked the place to death, it's on more than 800sqm block, so a lot of backyard too, which is tidy enough, just front looks worn and raggedy. Anything decent in existing garden will be coming home to my place.

Mother in law tongue, Westminster, clean your mouth out with soap and water, those fugly things should be extinct.

Back