NBN inhouse wireing

NBN fibre equipment is placed a box outside the garage (ground level).

I would like to place the NBN connection box in the linen cupboard located in upstairs. This is where the phone ( & ADSL) connection is now. Connections to all rooms (via RJ45) starts from here.

NBN guys are saying that we need to hire our own electrician to run the wiring from the outside box to where I want the NBN connection box is.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can anyone recommend any electricians (Strathfield area in Sydney)?

Hi Devan

From the box outside to inside is usually done by your ISP. Ring your internet provider and get them to organise it.

Also you should about about 40M (this is normally less as some wont run it to hard to get to places) to run it into the same spot.

Cheers

WillB

NBN tech is full of it.

They tried the same thing with me wanting to put it at the front of the house because that was easy. I called NBN told them the story of what I wanted and it was within the definition of a standard install with no extra charge.

You want a ACMA cabler who may or may not be a electrician. Its a separate license/qualification.
Should be on this list Licenced Installers.

I have not been involved in any of the NBN stuff yet I must admit.
However I would assume all you need is 2 cat5 cables from the NBN box to existing comms since they have installed it outside.

1 for network
1 to carry the voice lines from analogue out port unless you go with an IP based phone service.

The ISP has nothing to do with inhouse wiring either unless they are taking it on and then charging you accordingly.

You don't need to worry about getting your own cabling you just need to nbnco to do their job.

Linen cupboard may not have sufficient ventilation however

The internal NBN equipment should be installed:

Near a safe power outlet
In a cool, dry, ventilated area
Away from busy areas where it may be knocked and damaged
Where it will be easy for you to check the indicator lights
Near your existing phone or network cabling.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/get-an-nbn-...usiness/nbn-services/inside-installation.html

Finally got the NBN! :cool:

Got the same electrician who did wiring for our house to run a string. I have no idea why you need a electrician for that.
Then the NBN dudes attached the optical cable to the string and just pulled it.

All seems fine. According to an online 'speed test' we are getting 70.2 Mbps & download speed is 8.57 MB/s.

Free Netgear wireless router modem

I have no use for old Netgear wireless router modem. Happy to give it away if anyone needs it.

Attachments

• 2014-03-06 22.52.26.jpg
    2014-03-06 22.52.26.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 92
Finally got the NBN! :cool:

All seems fine. According to an online 'speed test' we are getting 70.2 Mbps & download speed is 8.57 MB/s.

This is what I am getting in blacktown area, though I am forced to use wireless temporarily as I left the router in the garage and is currently dragging that cat cable to upstairs.

Apparently still slow compared to places such as the US?

Well if you are viewing sites from the US it will be slower here than there and it still depends on your ISP's back end servers. Local content is very fast. Otherwise though is cr*ps all of ADSL for speed and reliability.

Well if you are viewing sites from the US it will be slower here than there and it still depends on your ISP's back end servers. Local content is very fast. Otherwise though is cr*ps all of ADSL for speed and reliability.

Australia has finally beaten Mongolia in average internet download speeds, according to the Net Index :D

Clicky

Where's Google Fibre

Did you oder the guy a case to do it?
They are working for peanuts because there isn't much on it Sydney so everyman and his dog is undercutting each other. No time for anything slightly out of their scope

Back