Nbn

It's not really adding value, but it's costing me money.

I had a letter from my builder today saying I needed to be 'fibre ready' or face a $250k fine.

All new builds need this.

Cost is about $800/unit. But oh, you may not get connection for up to 6 years.

Anyone else face this?

Blacky

Yep
When i built my place they had to include a 'data package', which is an additional phone point, tv point, fiber point, nbn conduit etc.

The developers of the new estate assumed that NBN would be in by time all houses were built and moved into, so arranged no telstra infrastructure at all.

So i have this cool fibre stuff in my house, but can't call to order a pizza.

Ummm where did the builder get the idea that you will get a $250K fine for not being fibre ready?

I've had a look on the following sites:
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/broadband/national_broadband_network
http://www.nbnco.com.au/industry/new-developments/new-developments-policy-information.html

The Aust Govt's Fibre in New Developments policy does not mention a fine just that the developer will bear the costs of installation.

I don't know where they got it.

But by reading this it looks like I do need it. I guess I'll just pay.

Thanks
Blacky

Yeh I had this variation raised, but signed a waiver as a Telstra contractor said it was fine as is (existing P23 pipes installed). One unit was connected up to copper by a different contractor last week - and that contractor had never heard about it this law/requirement on a duplex development, and that a standard P23 was fine to connect.

You don't have a common driveway with the Telstra line running under it do you? Ie Existing Telstra pit on one side of the site/common drive, and the buildings on the other side? I think a common driveway may be considered a "road" by some in the industry, which requires a P50 pipe to be installed underneath instead of the standard white P23 telecoms pipe. It's ridiculous, because the copper can still be fed through (assuming you are building in brownfields and not a greenfields estate, and the haul lengths/bends are not excessive).

The reason why my one was so expensive was because the P23s had already been run in to each unit, and in the "variation" the builder wanted to rip half of it up and install a pit half way down the driveway.

Happy to provide more information on my situation if you want - note that I am not a lawyer or anything, just providing information that I have been provided with.

Your builder wouldn't happen to be located in Northbridge would they?

I'm building at the moment.

have an allowance in the contract for future NBN services or something along those lines. only $250 though..

Normally service run ins like power, gas and comms should be included in the contract or provisionals? Strange that Blacky is being hit with a variation now, as I understand from his other threads that the builds are already past slab and almost plate height? That means the original services should be in the ground already.

Blacky, does the variation outline exactly what is required or exactly what theu will be installing? I spent weeks arguing with my builder because all their variation stated was what was posted in that other thread - ie no breakdown of costs, parts, or even what I was supposedly signing for - just a copy/paste from the legislation website. It wasn't the cost itself, it was the attitude of the builder that irked me something rotten. They only finally provided me with the details of the variation plus their +18% after I demanded about 6 times to provide it or I wouldn't sign anything.

By that time I had spoken to numerous telecoms engineers and contractors - our solution was to use the original P23 pipes for the time being, and put in a P50 under the driveway now before the driveway is installed, just in case I "DO" have to upgrade later (I have been told that at this point there is no specific regulation in place for horizontal multi-dwelling sites under 4 units to upgrade to a P50 pipe - ie. possible to branch out individual P23 pipes from the existing Telstra pit and still be "fibre ready").

WR
Very interesting. They did send me a 2 page letter detailing the requirements, then attached the 12 page cut and paste from the web. Ill speak to them more about it next week.

Cheers
Blacky

Back