Near a school

Would you buy a house to rent out, right across the road from a high school? It is also really close to Woollies and the bus to the CBD.

It's only a problem during school hours,pick-up drop-off,and when you work out the numbers of school days per year-vs- the time the schools are vacant,i don't see it as a problem,inner city Brisbane that's what some people look for..imho..

Our PPOR is right near a state high school, and we not-infrequently have agents phone us saying that they have a buyer who wants to be within walking distance of the school. The agent was contacting the occupiers of every house in the surrounding streets.

So I'm not sure about the "always less desirable" line.

'Walking distance' is different from 'right across the road', though.

I reckon living right across the road from a school wouldn't be great. But that will be reflected in the purchase price now. It's not as if you are looking at buying a house in a nice quiet street and a year down the track a school ends up being built across the road. That would be disappointing.

Note that many schools are not just Mon-Fri. Many lease out grounds and halls which has activity up to 8p nights and all day week ends to music, sports, churches and the like.

An agent contacted me last week regarding a property directly across the road from the school - I just couldn't do it to my kids - having to stare at it on weekends! I found a great property for my parents that backed onto a school oval. That tripled in value in about 8 yrs and I was going to buy it if they didn't. I was considering buying another property that is just around the corner from kids school, so for me, - no to directly opposite but 'yes' to close.

I purchased a primary residence opposite a primary school, there are issues with parking, noise, traffic etc. You have no control if work/maintenance is required, therefore trades could be working at 7.00 am in the morning on weekends. Once my children completed primary school we sold up.

Did it effect values ??? Well I was worried about this, in fact I thought no one would buy it, but it did not even hit the market we had a cash offer. Capital growth, amazing we purchased for $185,000 and sold 16 years later for $1.325M. I am sure this has more to do with desirable area.

Would I buy opposite a school again?? Probably not

MTR:)

I think it's great of you've got kids of school age and it's a good school.
It must surely save parents a lot of time and inconvenience living that close to the school.

I'm in the hunt for a new house, the area I'm looking actually has 3 schools- public & catholic primary & a high school. 2 are really close and at drop & pick up time it's a complete zoo. Enough so that there's a couple of streets I'll avoid if I can. They're also impacted by street parking from a big shopping centre, staff I guess. Another block up the hill and it's a completely different story.

Wouldn't concern me if it was IP

I think more people who send their kids to that school would want to live there than people who might be turned off by living opposite a school, should be easy to rent out

We own one directly across from a private school.
Rents out everyday of the year no problems.
Needs to be a good school ideally private - one that is generally well maintained/landscaped etc to a high level. Certainly more appealing than yards with car bodies/sticky beaks etc across the rd looking back over at you..
Neighbors can change over time however schools generally stay the same.
Secondly teachers and the school themselves have approached us for rental and purchase as they tend to rent/buy surrounding properties over time just as Universities do.
When its time to sell you have a captive audience of parent investors whom all view your property on there daily commute..wishing they lived closer to school;)
As well as the school themselves as an interested party.
Just my 2 cents...

My folks PPOR is opposite a Primary school and its no issues at all. I think it is very dependent on the actual school.
If it's a scummy suburb with a scummy school and you could only afford that suburb then I'd probably not buy opposite the school :p

Back