Neato solution for laundries

Seeing as the laundries are going in for the Gwelup villas I thought I would share with you the non traditional but super awesome way to have a clean looking laundry without taps and power sockets everywhere for washing machines.

If you are designing a laundry with a bench then you use your 'kitchen brain' and copy how they do plumbing and power for a dishwasher. You don't need washing machine taps above the washer, you don't need power above the washer, you don't even need an ugly waste hose above your washer. All these items can be run to the cupboard and trough waste next to it like you would do with a sink/dishwasher.

Here is a photo

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 253
Great idea. We've been doing this for years now (in our own houses and in IPs as we renovate and do up laundries), and I love it. Something I've always hated is the horrible, cheap taps with the hoses on show. There is just no need to have them on show. Another of my pet hates is ugly laundry tubs. Our laundry is a copy of our kitchen with a lovely deep china oval tub and a fancy tap. It doubles as a sink for the loo off the laundry and minimises the "ugly" factor that many laundries have.

We have our current laundry under the right hand side of a bench. The left hand side holds the china tub and a two door cupboard. Our tap for the water to the machine is inside this cupboard, so we could get to it quickly if we ever needed to turn the water off to the machine. The waste goes straight into the pipes like a dishwasher waste.

The power is also inside this cupboard (away from the water).

It would look lovely and neat if I could ever learn to not just dump everything in the laundry :eek:.

Love this idea. We did something similar in one of the bathroom/laundries we renovated (see pic). It looks so much more streamlined.

Attachments

• bath3.jpg
    bath3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 168
Love this idea. We did something similar in one of the bathroom/laundries we renovated (see pic). It looks so much more streamlined.

Very nice. It lends itself very well for the under bench frontloader but then people don't do it for a top loader. Just beyond me ?!?!?!?!?

Seeing as the laundries are going in for the Gwelup villas I thought I would share with you the non traditional but super awesome way to have a clean looking laundry without taps and power sockets everywhere for washing machines.

If you are designing a laundry with a bench then you use your 'kitchen brain' and copy how they do plumbing and power for a dishwasher. You don't need washing machine taps above the washer, you don't need power above the washer, you don't even need an ugly waste hose above your washer. All these items can be run to the cupboard and trough waste next to it like you would do with a sink/dishwasher.

Here is a photo

Dont want to rain on your parade.............

But most new laundries are run this way, the taps out of the wall above the machines are a thing of the past.

It's basically the same concept as a dishwasher too, hence why all washing machines and dishwashers are located next to a sink, because they use the same waste trap.........

Dont want to rain on your parade.............

But most new laundries are run this way, the taps out of the wall above the machines are a thing of the past.

It's basically the same concept as a dishwasher too, hence why all washing machines and dishwashers are located next to a sink, because they use the same waste trap.........

Ah but this is Perth - we are aeons behind civilisation :)
I have seen this look in new builds but I don't see it a lot in renos so I thought I would share.
My last build in 2011 was built this way too but as I had a picture from the weekend I thought I might as well bung it up.

I have seen this look in new builds but I don't see it a lot in renos so I thought I would share.
My last build in 2011 was built this way too but as I had a picture from the weekend I thought I might as well bung it up.
I'm just finishing up a reno of an old dump in Cloverdale and did the taps in the cupboard thing. I'll see if I can find a pic. It's not fancy like what you are doing because it's just a low end rental. I made the cupboard from a leftover cabinet from the kitchen. Sink and tap are from Masters.

Attachments

• Laund.jpg
    Laund.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 100
Would get nasty if that tap ever drips... AFAIK there needs to be 50cm between water and GPO.

Agreed, not compliant.

Might get it down to 15cm to side or above depending on how you want to interpretate the rules as a fixed water outlet but certainly not below.
Even then must be RCD protected and at least 30cm from floor.

Agreed, not compliant.

Might get it down to 15cm to side or above depending on how you want to interpretate the rules as a fixed water outlet but certainly not below.

Take it down WM before the Stirling council Nazis get wind of it :D

My most recent Reno for profit laundry.

08a076083955a86ced7ecf81d77cb596_zpsb4e9ab18.jpg

Agreed, not compliant.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys - I'll take it up with the builder.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys - I'll take it up with the builder.
I would. At the reno I am doing, I had my sparky decomission a powerpoint that was directly underneath the sink tap and drain (diswasher point?). He confirmed it was not up to code and agreed it needed to be removed.

If the owner is responsible for supplying the washing machine I would give it a swerve.

Many reasons why I prefer provision for top loading, but tenants breaking the door locks on front loaders and costing me a couple of hundred for each plumber call out is one such.

What about the higher damage risk from undetected leaks? We turn ours off (water supply and power) after loads finish. I wonder how the insurance provider would feel about a flooding where the taps were left on and a 'non fixture' (insurers do mention that) water connection failed while the occupant was away for some weeks.

I accept that dishwashers are usually left with the water supply 'on'. Not in my own house though. I turn them off too when we go away for the weekend or more.

Just trying to lessen and treat risks. What would the insurer accept?

Back