Need a little advice on building....

hello everyone, my name is stan, im 19 and looking to become involved in the property industry.....

my dad has property and offered me a block big enough to subdivide to build units in the back. i have the money required for a building loan but i need to know what course i should do so i can build and subdivide possibly 2 - 3 units a year instead of the 1 per 3 years with no licence.

ive been to tafe and asked but they tell me that the courses go for years when i have relatives that have done them in a short time and are in building..

i have experience in building with my dad and know what needs to be done but like him i have no licence...

my plan is to subdivide, build, sell, buy, subdivide, build sell .......

Last edited:
You should check out the department of fair trading website in your state. They would be the department responsible for licensing builders.

I think in NSW it is a 2 year course with a work experience component. But there are some private colleges that offer the same course on a much quicker basis, maybe 1 year, but for a higher fee usually.

ive been to tafe and asked but they tell me that the courses go for years when i have relatives that have done them in a short time and are in building..

Hi Stan,

Have you asked your builder relatives what courses they did which only took a "short time" ?

Maybe you can do the same course they did.

I did , prove ten years in the trade, then complete cert 3 in carpentry , then studied for 3 years for your cert 4 in building and construction services , then 1 year work experience with a current builder , only costs about 5k all up,

Then you need equity to be able to get your HWI , once you have been assesed , you might get a contract or two ,make no money from these because the things you have missed ?
then it should be all good ! Congratulations your a builder :rolleyes:

Thats what i did any way , it might be a bit harder now though?

my plan is to subdivide, build, sell, buy, subdivide, build sell .......

Stan,
Sounds like a great plan. And you seem enthusiastic.

Have you considered how you will finance these deals? Will you have a "real job" at the same time? (Banks love a payslip!) Maybe while you're young, you are living at home and have very few expenses, but finance WILL be a consideration.

Perhaps you might be just as well getting a job that CAN fund such an endeavour, do a few even if means paying a builder, build up your cash reserves so you can then go on to do more full-time developing? Maybe consider working for a developer so you can see the inside of the industry?

Don't mean to sound condescending - you might have all this stitched up already!! - but I know what I'd be doing if I had my time again...

Cheers.

The rules have also changed commencing July regarding builders license.
If you fail any component, you will have to wait 6 months and start the whole process again.

I'm so glad with the changes, will be difficult for the cowboys that heavily rely on their trades, particularly the carpenter to essentially run the build.

Back