Need some advice/figures quickly on fence removal costs

Just received a quote from neighbours to remove adjoining block fence of approx 15 metres in length, 1.4 metres high and a price of $1900+. Anyone care to estimate if this is a reasonable sum or not? Access isn't a problem.

More quotes needed but they plan on starting removal within days and this is the only quote.

Verbal agreement has been to pay half the cost of removal. I believe they are supposed to give at least two quotes and 30 days to reply, though the fence has been looking like it would fall down for the last 6 months so not sure where we stand with it. Don't want to create bad relations with the neigbours, but don't want to be rushed into overpaying for the job either.

Just received a quote from neighbours to remove adjoining block fence of approx 15 metres in length, 1.4 metres high and a price of $1900+. Anyone care to estimate if this is a reasonable sum or not? Access isn't a problem.

More quotes needed but they plan on starting removal within days and this is the only quote.

Verbal agreement has been to pay half the cost of removal. I believe they are supposed to give at least two quotes and 30 days to reply, though the fence has been looking like it would fall down for the last 6 months so not sure where we stand with it. Don't want to create bad relations with the neigbours, but don't want to be rushed into overpaying for the job either.

Seems like lot of money,
What is the fence made from. Do they have to dig out posts in concrete.

It's a block fence - concrete blocks. Because of the way it is leaning it seems to have poor foundations, so maybe inadequate footings.

I assume this would fall under the Dividing Fences Act if they want you to pay half. Find a copy on the net and read it before anything starts.

From memory, they must issue you a notice with two quotes before commencing any work.

We had legal advice last year when owners adjoining an IP ripped out the existing fence and had started building a new one with no notice to us. Our legal advice was that we had no obligation whatsoever to pay anything towards the new fence as the neighbours had totally ignored the rules under the Dividing Fences Act.

(We did pay half share of a chainwire fence which is "standard" to the area - along with lots of other types of fences - because we would have been happy to pay this cost had they asked us, but we could have refused to pay completely.)

I assume (though will check again) that without proper notice we are not obligated pay. What you have done seems reasonable Wylie - paying for what would have been your expected contribution on a standard fence. Think that even if we get quotes belatedly then we could work off those prices instead of the one we've been given, if in fact it is cheaper.

Back