Need tenants out ASAP, any ideas?

Hi guys,

Doind a duplex development and finally got my DA through
Let the agent know I need the house back and we have to give them 60 days notice as there is no lease in place.

The problem is, this will only leave me a week or 2 to demolish the house and get everything else ready for the builder, as the quote to build is only good until 20th November and I'm sure the builder will increase the price at any opportunity.

The tenants have said they plan to leave on 16th November, but 10th November is 60 days, so will have to spek to the agent about that.

I'm thinking about an incentive for the tenants to motivate them to move earlier, current rent is $320/week. My thought was to offer them $100 for every full week they leave before 10th November.
So they can get $800 if they leave today, or $100 if they leave 1 week early.
Every week is important here.

Any other ideas?
Really need to get them out so my building costs don't go up another 5% or so.

Thanks
 
Try to extend your building contract now - being as you are providing plenty of notice one would think that it would be acceptable.


Also 60 days notice given to tenant - does not mean that tenant will use all 60 days to vacate.

When ever we give 60 days notice we find that the tenant starts looking straight away and would in most cases be out with in 1 month.


I would not look at negotiating with the tenant for the first 3-4 weeks - wait this time then negotiate an early departure.
 
I already got a 3 month extension on the quote, so very unlikely they will extend again.

I will wait a little before offering an incentive though.

The agent got it wrong in the letter they sent me saying that the tenants have given thier notice to vacate on 16th November.
The letter was a duplicate of that sent to the tenant telling them to vacate by 16th November, so she didn't word it correctly causing me to stress a little thinking they wanted to stay the full 60 days.

Just hoping they find a place soon.
But am still thinking a small incentive now might make them try harder to get out quicker.
 
Offering $100 a week sounds like a plan, but considering how much higher building costs can go if they decide to be a pita... imagine if they refuse to leave, and you have to go through the courts :eek:

Probably a good idea to offer them at least $200 for every week between them leaving and now!
 
Offering $100 a week sounds like a plan, but considering how much higher building costs can go if they decide to be a pita... imagine if they refuse to leave, and you have to go through the courts :eek:

Probably a good idea to offer them at least $200 for every week between them leaving and now!

Thanks, but won't I look a little too desperate offering $200/week?
They know it's a development site because of the yellow council paper out te front of the house.
 
How about a sliding scale? Say:
move out by, you get:
21-Sep 2,500
28-Sep 2,200
5-Oct 1,900
12-Oct 1,600
19-Oct 1,300
26-Oct 1,000
2-Nov 700
9-Nov 400
16-Nov 100

Then every week you send them a new letter and cross out the ones that have passed. Nice incentive to move, don't you think? And saying '$2,500' sounds SO much better than '$300 a week'. Big numbers move people. Money dripping away moves people. Here's both.
 
Thanks, but won't I look a little too desperate offering $200/week?
They know it's a development site because of the yellow council paper out te front of the house.

Well arent you desperate to get them out?! :D Nothing wrong witht he tenants knowign that, they will appreciate your situation a little more then perhaps?
 
Top