Need to remove this pipe? help

Turn the water main off before you cut it. Then you won't have water everywhere (and all over your angle grinder). Then turn the main back on slowly to see what happens. My bet is nothing will happen.

I removed a concrete slab in the back of the IP and found the exact clone of your pipe. Like everyone else said, its a water pipe. It was headed the wrong way to think it did anything, but what we did was one of us stuck an ear on the pipe and the other one turned on the tap 10m in a totally different direction and lo, you could hear the water going through it. Bit of digging later and we found the elbow where it changed direction.

Most of the underground plumbing at our IP is that old galvanised pipe. It makes the water come out slightly yellow-brown if you don't use it for a few days. We're currently digging holes all over the yard to trace the old galvanised pipes, we need fairly major plumbing work and the plumber has said if we've got galv it'll probably need to come up, so we've found it all for him for when he eventually deigns to arrive.

My PPoR has all above-ground plastic plumbing, refreshingly easy to find and fix :D

Krisk

if you turn off the water mains when you are drilling or cutting be
careful of any metal bits and filings because if they get into your water pipe
they could do some damage to your mixing taps...

Better to maintain the water pressure I think, you will get wet but it's for a good cause...:D

And remember that electricity and water don't go well together so it's better to get a plumber I think. That pipe is due for replacement anyway so while you have it all dug up you might as well run a new 1.

Cheers

Cut it with a hacksaw with the mains on. You will get water coming out when the hacksaw blade cuts about 0.5 mm into the pipe. Then you can go and turn the mains off. Not so hot in Sydney today, you should have done it yesterday.

If its going to someone else place, no worries. It was on your land and the plumber can fix it. Just cut it. I cant stand the suspense any longer.

Whatever you do, dont cut it with an angle grinder.

I have been doing plumbing and electrical fitout (roughed in last week) on a new kitchen in my ppor today so its a timely thread. Its amazing how slow you get when havn't been on the tools for years.

OK, while we are on about pipes. As I said before we have a rusty old pipe like that in our shack. Is it possible for a plumber to cut out some of the real leaky parts, and 're-weld' (?) or does the whole pipe have to go. I know, Hijack!
IF it's the old gal 1 inch pipe then for your health you would be better to replace the whole section of pipework because over time the gal pipe will rust internal,and cause low pressure plus the water quality would be dangerous to your longterm life span..imho..willair..

Electric hazard in pipe cutting

Looks like water to me.:confused:

There is no chance that something behind the home is being fed underground with electric supply? Eg shed, toilet, lights, neighbours ?

Where does it originate at the front of the house?

Some good old handy men from yrs ago just ran electric cables in anything.
There were not warning tapes or color coded pipes in those days:confused:

If ya going to gut it cut it slow and stand on a rubber mat, wear rubber gloves.

Same for water pipes. Cutting a older pipe may break a circuit that is acting as a return earthing / neutral path back to the street substation.

When the pipe is cut it is like cutting a wire. If you are holding onto either side of the pipe you could cop a full 240volt shock hand to hand straight across your body. (Usual result = death).:eek:
That is why whenever water meters are changed a large bonding cable is installed across the water meter before it is removed.

So even if it is just simply water pipe there can be some hidden danger.

Take care :)

Gee Cee

Almost fried a few times
Greg

Anyone know what this is?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dastrix/2852163045/

The watermeter has a small inch pipe going into the house, but Ive no idea where this old galvinsed/iron pipe goes.. I want to remove it to complete my agg project!

Any sydney plumbers care to advise/assist in removal?

Thanks!
It look like a supply line,just follow the pipework and see where it connect too it has to go somewhere,just be very careful that it's not a gas line i just cant make it out by the photo..imho..willair..

Pipe Cutting Party

Scrap the nice pub lunch for the Forum ites.
How about a pipe cutting BBQ / Party night.

We can all turn up with all the safety gear and advice. Plus grog & food!

Any old bookmakers available. Bets on whatever.

Then we can all throw in the beer cans and bottles as drainage.

Pity the next owner 50 yrs down the track tracing cans:D

Gee Cee

Greg

Now what is the address that you are at !

I rang lots of plumbers early in July. They assure me they'll be out sometime before the end of the year. One even promises to maybe pop past the house sometime in the next few weeks. If it was a 2 week wait, I'd be ecstatic, trust me.

LOL

I'm doing it on Saturday morning, I know the suspense is all killing you. Ill use a hacksaw, with the water on and ill stand on a rubber mat :)

Its kinda fun! :D

Back